Sony Music no longer dealing with soundtrack labels [UPDATE: La-La Land is back in]

Ragarding Williams:

Luckily, except Hook, it's just Stepmom and Seven Years in Tibet that are affected and I'm really not impatiently longing for expansions of these, to be honest. Memoirs of a Geisha and everything that came after that from Sony Music didn't have a chance to get expanded by special labels anyway. At least not in the near future.

Regarding Goldsmith:

Not one single thing will change, because every score made it through in time, if not years before this even foreshadowed.

Regarding Horner:

I'm not a fan of James Horner at all and at this moment I'm very happy about it. Lots of scores owned by Sony Music. I feel sorry for you Horner fans. But why should I be whining for a non-existing expansion, when I do not even care for the OST?

All in all it's pretty bearable. Just Hook is (or would have been?) a real bummer.

It could definitely be one of LLL's two titles. Purely based on the fact that Sony went to the trouble to remaster the film last year in 4K, which means they probably unearthed lots of elements in their archives (like those never-before-seen deleted scenes).

The "lost" session tapes (or better master tapes than LLL had in 2012) might have been uncovered in the process. Matessino seems to be on speed-dial with a lot of studio archivists, so hopefully such a discovery would have been relayed his way. Maybe some insiders tipped off the labels about the imminent changes and they immediately set to work on signing contracts. Who knows! All just hypothetical, wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Regarding Horner:

I'm not a fan of James Horner at all and at this moment I'm very happy about it. Lots of scores owned by Sony Music. I feel sorry for you Horner fans. But why should I be whining for a non-existing expansion, when I do not even care for the OST?

I'm a Horner fan and can honestly say that there's nothing Sony Music related that I'm disappointed about in terms of expansions that now won't happen.

31 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why doesn't anyone like Banning Back Home?

I love it!

People treat Williams like he's their little play thing who must always conform to the same neo-romantic schtick - or else.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I haven't seen the whole movie, so it's entirely possible there's an elevator scene.

Elevator music and elevator scenes could not differ more from each other as far as greatness and spectacularity goes.

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Ooh, MV just did not answer my 'what does this mean for Hook' question on the FSM thread. I'm even more hopeful now.

Well, if the score was in the works, LLL would know by now if it's still proceeding.

I'm inclined to think all these Sony releases would be fast-tracked after this news, to avoid any further complications with Sony. That's certainly what I'd do.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, JTWfan77 said:

[...] Banning Back Home [...] does supposedly owe something to Dave Grusin's Mountain Dance.

Indeed, it is _very_ close stylistically and even as a composition.

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Why is it, that Angela's Ashes can't be expanded/remastered then. Or did I mix up something?

In the US, Sony Music released the OST and has the rights.  Internationally, Decca released the OST and has the rights.