Jerry Goldsmith's infamously LOST rejected "dark noir" score to THE PUBLIC EYE has been FOUND!

Yavar Moradi

AMAZING NEWS about Jerry's infamous rejected dark noir score for The Public Eye! (from the webmaster of Jerry Goldsmith Online)

Good news on this. I checked with MRT and although he didn’t have any tapes himself a DAT was sent to JG at the time and has been found by Carol and the score is being worked on for release by a label who releases JG soundtracks quite a lot. But be warned how long it will take to do the paperwork on it is another matter so don’t hold your breath.

http://www.jerrygoldsmithonline.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5041

WOWW!

Yavar

20 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Hope this bodes well for Babe The Gallant Pig!

Fairly unconnected I think, since that score was three-quarters written, but (according to *most* if not all sources) not recorded but rejected while in mock-up stage.

On the other hand, The Public Eye we've known about for years from Mike Ross-Trevor (who recorded it and described it as having a dark Chinatown vibe). This is just the first hope we've ever had of a release, because Carol Goldsmith found the DAT in her husband's archives.

I suspect for Babe (and The Kid, for that matter) we have to hope for something like a Leigh Phillips Kickstarter...we do know the written score for both survive, at least (in the Herrick Library, along with the written scores for Black Patch and Face of a Fugitive, for that matter).

Yavar

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Ah, I see. I had mistakenly assumed that photo with all the labelled boxes was of actual tapes but I'm guessing it was actually for sheet music.

Correct. That photo was of written scores...which could be used to produce a recording if such a new recording were funded.

Yavar

• 2 years later...
On 2/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Fairly unconnected I think, since that score was three-quarters written, but (according to *most* if not all sources) not recorded but rejected while in mock-up stage.

On the other hand, The Public Eye we've known about for years from Mike Ross-Trevor (who recorded it and described it as having a dark Chinatown vibe). This is just the first hope we've ever had of a release, because Carol Goldsmith found the DAT in her husband's archives.

I suspect for Babe (and The Kid, for that matter) we have to hope for something like a Leigh Phillips Kickstarter...we do know the written score for both survive, at least (in the Herrick Library, along with the written scores for Black Patch and Face of a Fugitive, for that matter).

Yavar

Do we know if he had a score rejected for Super Mario Bros. and if so, what stage it got to?

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

Do we know if he had a score rejected for Super Mario Bros. and if so, what stage it got to?

I've never heard of one. Are you confusing it with Judge Dredd, another 90s action score written by Alan Silvestri? That was originally supposed to be Goldsmith's assignment, and he did write original score for the film's trailer, but had a conflict by the time it came around to score the film itself.

I'm pretty sure this is the last recorded unused Goldsmith score that was awaiting release. He also wrote scores (not quite complete) for Babe, the Gallant Pig (as it was called when he scored it) and Disney's The Kid, which exist in written form at the Academy's Margaret Herrick Library, but which were never actually recorded so they would require a premiere recording.

Yavar

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I've never heard of one. Are you confusing it with Judge Dredd, another 90s action score written by Alan Silvestri? That was originally supposed to be Goldsmith's assignment, and he did write original score for the film's trailer, but had a conflict by the time it came around to score the film itself.

Goldsmith was attached shortly due to his connection to Mom and Dad Save the World director, who was going to do it for a while (one bomb he got spared from).

I'm glad Silvestri ended up doing DREDD, because that's one of his highlight scores.

As for THE PUBLIC EYE, didn't a boot circulate for a while, or am I misremembering? In any case, cool with a "new" Goldsmith score out and about.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

As for THE PUBLIC EYE, didn't a boot circulate for a while

No. Not a drop of this music has been heard by anyone except those who worked on the film for 30 years

7 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm glad Silvestri ended up doing DREDD, because that's one of his highlight scores.

Agreed, Judge Dredd is one of my favorite Silvestri scores from the 90s.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Agreed, Judge Dredd is one of my favorite Silvestri scores from the 90s.

This is also true for me but that doesn't mean a Goldsmith score still wouldn't have been better. :) 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

No. Not a drop of this music has been heard by anyone except those who worked on the film for 30 years

Weeeelll... technically a drop of original Goldsmith music was heard in at least one of the film's trailers. No idea whether that was an original trailer score like he did for Judge Dredd, Rambo: First Blood Part II, or Basic Instinct, or whether it was just music pulled from the film score proper.

Yavar

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Basic Instinct?  What? There's no trailer music on the Quartet release...

Maybe I got mixed up with another Goldsmith score...Extreme Prejudice? I know there were at least three original trailer scores he wrote. I think I probably said "Basic Instinct" because of this page at Jerry Goldsmith Online:

http://www.jerrygoldsmithonline.com/works_trailers.htm

Yavar

I have no idea if Extreme Prejudice does or not but Basic Instinct does not to my knowledge.  Maybe there's a trailer that used music from the film score but if he wrote something specifically for a trailer it wasn't used and isn't on the Quartet.  I think that website is wrong.