In 1997, two high-profile films involved the 14th Dalai Lama. How would you rate their scores?

Jurassic Shark

In 1997, two high-profile films involved the 14th Dalai Lama. How would you rate their scores?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Kundun by Philip Glass (5 is top rating)

2. 2. Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams (5 is top rating)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

3 stars Glass, 4 stars Williams.

Almost none of Glass's film scores has worked for me even if it is still decent music, this while Tibet is among Williams's most underrated scores (if there is a such thing).

I have never seen or heard the Mishima score in its entirety, so I can't comment on it. The Hours I am not a fan of; I pretty much agree with the music critic in NYT on it who wrote that it was mindless and a miscalculation: https://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/02/arts/film-the-great-film-score-catch-it-if-you-can.html. I don't think it is BAD though, just not a very good score. Of the film scores of Glass's film scores I have heard, I regard Koyaanisqatsi as his best film work, but even that I find somewhat overrated. Don't get me wrong, it is admittedly an original score, but I don't find myself returning to it. I kind of like it, but never really listen to it.

KUNDUN is fine, but SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET is better. Took me a while to warm to it, though. Wasn't that thrilled back in the 90s. Love it now.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

KUNDUN is fine, but SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET is better. Took me a while to warm to it, though. Wasn't that thrilled back in the 90s. Love it now.

I felt the same way about Tibet, to some degree.