The THE BANGLES Thread

Naïve Old Fart

On this date in 1989, The Bangles were in my hometown, performing a very large free concert to celebrate the opening of a local highway.  An overpass almost collapsed.

https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2011/02/what-does-the-sam-houston-tollway-have-to-do-with-the-bangles/

Beltway3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIUzRA4_Vl8

On 7/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, SteveMc said:

On this date in 1989, The Bangles were in my hometown, performing a very large free concert to celebrate the opening of a local highway.  An overpass almost collapsed.

https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2011/02/what-does-the-sam-houston-tollway-have-to-do-with-the-bangles/

Beltway3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIUzRA4_Vl8

Really?! They were really rocking the place!

;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It turns out there was more poetry in Eternal Flame than I thought!

Look how these lines rhyme:

Close your eyes
Give me your hand, darling
Do you feel my heart beating
Do you understand

I believe
It's meant to be, darling
I watch you when you are sleeping
You belong with me

Interestingly and excellently written!

Eternal Flame does a good job of using simple words and constructing something rather unique with them.  It is not so much a typical song about the wonderful feeling of being in love, but of the gnawing uncertainty about whether or not the love will last.  The irony is that it was inspired by the "eternal flame" in Graceland, which was not burning on the day The Bangles visited. 

24 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Eternal Flame does a good job of using simple words and constructing something rather unique with them.  It is not so much a typical song about the wonderful feeling of being in love, but of the gnawing uncertainty about whether or not the love will last.  The irony is that it was inspired by the "eternal flame" in Graceland, which was not burning on the day The Bangles visited. 

Yes.  It's more than written well poetically.  There is a depth to the song too.  There is a happiness and a sadness that clash throughout the song.

First, it starts off calmer, and in a thoughtful tone.  'Is this burning an eternal flame?'

Then, the middle section of the song is more active and emotions are building up.  'Say my name...'

It calms down and there is a hint of giving up in the flame when the 'Close your eyes..' lines repeat.

Finally, when you think that the song is going to finish in the same tone as it began, the atmospheric part bursts in.  'Is this burning an eternal flame!'  The emotions of giving up and hoping the love will last clash here creating an excellent finish!  And the way the song fades shows how the emotions themselves never fade away.

By the way, there is another unreleased version (maybe studio demo) that does finish the song.  The way it ends here is in a darker tone.  The emotions of giving up take over the emotions of hope and happiness.  I couldn't find that version, but I remember hearing it.

This is the way I interpret the song for myself.

2 minutes ago, Ii2 said:

By the way, there is another unreleased version (maybe studio demo) that does finish the song.  The way it ends here is in a darker tone.  The emotions of giving up take over the emotions of hope and happiness.  I couldn't find that version, but I remember hearing it.

Here it is: 

Even though it lacks the beautiful harmonies in the climax, I think I may like it better.  It is darker, more relatable and realistic.  

Plus the bass (which I believe is Steele) is real and not synth.

I like the released version better but only because of the atmospheric part.  I feel the song is incomplete without it.  Successwise, the demo version wouldn't have done good on the charts simply because it was not contemporary enough.  That's probably why the producer decided to release the official version.

• 3 weeks later...

Newly surfaced video of a Susanna Hoffs solo gig in Miami, circa 1991.  She was opening for Don Henley, promoting her then new album When You're A Boy.  The songs on that one work considerably better live than on record, imo.   Too bad she didn't break out the Bowie cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Matt C said:

I can't believe she's 61. She still looks amazing.

As the video mentions, she has a solo album coming out soon and will be releasing an unreleased solo record from 1999 too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
UPDATE!
"ALL OVER THE PLACE - The Rise of the Bangles from the L.A. Underground"
THE WRITING IS DONE!
Well 99.5% done. If I come across interesting info, I'll incorporate it. Meanwhile the first edit is finishing up. I'm keeping pace as my proofreader finishes each chapter, fixing the small stuff and refining. Next month the final edit happens.

In total - over 85,000 words. Approximately 335 pages. Hard cover. And a photo section (which I am still trying very hard to achieve - this is proving far harder than the actual writing)

The cover design work has just been launched. Once I have a final proof, I will be able to set up a web page with something to advertise, including a small excerpt, Then I can begin taking pre-orders.

In the meantime, as mentioned, I'm still working on getting and enhancing old (unseen) pictures. There are still copywrite and printing expenses so......once more --

I ask again, for your help all the "nuts and bolts" expenses of actually making the book "real". So once again I ask for your help. And if you have chipped in, pass along the link to others who may have missed it.

Almost there!

gf.me/u/znwqdh (link to my gofundme)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
Think you know The Bangles?
Years in the making, the book you've been waiting for is finally here. "All Over the Place - The Rise of the Bangles from the L.A. Underground" is available for pre-order from Hozac Books. Tracing every step of The Bangles' career, from High School bands to the camaraderie of The Paisley Underground, to mega-stardom and beyond, this book covers it all with exhaustive detail. You will learn something new on every page.
Researched with vintage reporting and contemporary interviews, loaded with rare photos and complete discography - reserve your copy today!

https://hozacrecords.com/product/all-over-the-place/

COVER.jpg