'John Williams: Maestro of the Movies' at the Hollywood Bowl, Aug 30 - Sep 1, 2019 (David Newman & John Williams conducting)

Ricard

David Newman conducts the LA Phil in our annual celebration of the music of John Williams – including film clips.

Single tickets go on sale May 5

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/540/2019-09-01/maestro-of-the-movies/

August probably conflicts with Episode IX scoring sessions. He might be on doctor's orders to refrain from conducting concerts if he's going to be doing Star Wars sessions at the same time. 

I'm guessing William Ross will handle the more intense action cues on IX as well. Would be nice to know what he actually conducted on TLJ (presumably the action material like Crait and Escape). 

Where was it noted Williams as a special guest? The release I read simply stated it was Williams' music conducted by Newman, which is disappointing from the standpoint of going to see a Stones concert without Mick of Keith. Even if they are sitting and listening with you, still not the same. My travel plans might be altered by this.

I'd missed the part at the bottom where Williams is listed as being there. You'd have to think it will end up like the 80th birthday celebration where Williams picked up the baton for the Imperial March. Much more interested in going again. 

• 6 months later...

Here's the program for the Bowl concert:

John Williams’ history with the Hollywood Bowl is legendary. This year, our beloved master of cinematic scores introduces a memorable evening of his movie music to be conducted by his colleague and friend, maestro David Newman, including some selections performed with film clips. It’s an unforgettable concert you won’t want to miss!

Program

WHITING, arr. John WILLIAMS : “Hooray For Hollywood” from Hollywood Hotel
John WILLIAMS : Overture to The Cowboys
John WILLIAMS : Two Selections from Jane Eyre
John WILLIAMS : “Han Solo and the Princess” from The Empire Strikes Back (with film)
Alfred NEWMAN : 20th Century Fox Fanfare
Alfred NEWMAN : Theme from How the West Was Won (with film)
Richard RODGERS : “The Carousel Waltz” from Carousel Film Score Suite

Intermission

John WILLIAMS : Theme from Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
John WILLIAMS : Opening Sequence from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (with film)
John WILLIAMS : Excerpts from Jurassic Park (with film)
John WILLIAMS : Excerpts from Saving Private Ryan (with film)
John WILLIAMS : “Dry Your Tears, Afrika” from Amistad
John WILLIAMS : “The Adventures of Han” from Solo: A Star Wars Story
John WILLIAMS : “Luke and Leia” from Return of the Jedi
John WILLIAMS : Star Wars Main Title

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/794/2019-08-30/maestro-of-the-movies-the-music-of-john-williams

Some interesting choices! Lovely to see Jane Eyre and also pieces by Alfred Newman (including Carousel, which was one of JW's first orchestrating gigs).

JW is listed only as a "host", but If I were a betting man, I'd put some money on him conducting at least several selection in the second half.

Would love to see John conduct the Adventures of Han!

I guess the back to back choral pieces means there's going to be a choir too.

Great selection overall though, interesting mix of old and new.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Would love to see John conduct the Adventures of Han!

If the BPO Film Night performance last year is any indication, he takes it too slow!  Let Newman do that one!

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If the BPO Film Night performance last year is any indication, he takes it too slow!  Let Newman do that one!

He DID say "see", not hear ;)

The opening sequence of ET synced to film - pretty cool! I know I enjoyed that part of the full movie's live to projection concert quite a bit

I wish JW did more stuff like that, random cues synced to picture. Imagine performances of Journey to the Island from Jurassic Park, Desert Chase from Raiders, The Last Battle from Star Wars or The Reunion from A.I.?

He's far too modest if he believes only his concert arrangements are appropriate for the concert setting. He's written probably hundreds of film cues that would work just as effectively in a concert setting.

Hi im flying to see this concert. Do you know if there is any way i can pay a fee to get a picture with the maestro john williams? Im from Chile and will be my first time seeing him live. 

Thanks for your help

Pablo

6 hours ago, Pabloesp said:

Hi im flying to see this concert. Do you know if there is any way i can pay a fee to get a picture with the maestro john williams? Im from Chile and will be my first time seeing him live. 

Thanks for your help

Pablo

The chances are very, very, very unlikely.  The fee is irrelevant...time and peace of mind are more valuable now.  He has security to not let this sort of thing happen and only allows people he already knows back stage at this point.  He was never comfortable with fame and as he aged, had less and less reason to put up with it despite potentially very reasonable intentions from fans. 

Right the chances with a meet and greet are slim! I will go to the concert Friday. But I think there are rehearsals too in the morning? Any chance to go there and meet him? Or drive to his house like the two musicians did a few years ago.😅

By the way I would like to meet up with other members of this forum. Who is going?  

On 8/26/2019 at 7:31 PM, karelm said:

The chances are very, very, very unlikely.  The fee is irrelevant...time and peace of mind are more valuable now.  He has security to not let this sort of thing happen and only allows people he already knows back stage at this point.  He was never comfortable with fame and as he aged, had less and less reason to put up with it despite potentially very reasonable intentions from fans. 

Thanks karelm it was just in case.

at least I will get two by one. Attend a Hollywood bowl concert and see maestro John Williams live conducting the orchestra.

i understand this regarding fame and fans that’s is why I usually use events paid as comic con or similar to get pictures with famous people. I try not to bother them on other places because i don’t want to bother anyone on his/her daily routine.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:36 PM, JTGL said:

Right the chances with a meet and greet are slim! I will go to the concert Friday. But I think there are rehearsals too in the morning? Any chance to go there and meet him? Or drive to his house like the two musicians did a few years ago.😅

By the way I would like to meet up with other members of this forum. Who is going?  

I will go but I’m new here hahahaha. Don’t know if I’ll be of interest for you.

Haha I guess he just meant Film 1. He probably considers TPM, AOTC and ROTS as being episodes 4, 5 and 6 in his mind, because he wrote them in that order.

Interesting what he said about he and JJ trying to put a "bouquet" on it all. That goes along with his comments last week about, "signing a little bow on the box of this." Think it's safe to assume this means they're putting a lot of focus into the finale and end credits for the film, should be something memorable!

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I find it very hard not to cynically think it’ll just be something like dropping existing concert arrangements in the middle

Hmm, not unfair considering the credits for ROTS and the blatant Throne Room recycling. But Williams does say, "JJ and I are trying to put a nice bouquet on it." That doesn't sound like Williams just lazily repeating an existing piece again, it implies he's consciously working on something new to close things off.

And surely Abrams or one of Williams' assistants would point out he already closed ROTS with Throne Room, and it would be better if TROS had an original end credits suite? It's the only way Williams will get Rey's Theme in there too. ;)

Another reason it's good to have a Williams fanboy like Abrams directing this film. His mindset wouldn't be dissimilar to ours if we were directing the final John Williams Star Wars film.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Hmm, not unfair considering the credits for ROTS and the blatant Throne Room recycling. But Williams does say, "JJ and I are trying to put a nice bouquet on it." That doesn't sound like Williams just lazily repeating an existing piece again, it implies he's consciously working on something new to close things off.

And surely Abrams or one of Williams' assistants would point out he already closed ROTS with Throne Room, and it would be better if TROS had an original end credits suite? It's the only way Williams will get Rey's Theme in there too. ;)

Another reason it's good to have a Williams fanboy like Abrams directing this film. His mindset wouldn't be dissimilar to ours if we were directing the final John Williams Star Wars film.

Just hope we don't get a copy paste of the Force theme prior to the end credits opening blast...

Hang on.  Assuming he's going to recycle some old-school theme for the final shot of the movie, wouldn't it be amazing if Williams (and J.J.) pulled the rug out and ended the film with a new variant of "The Throne Room"?  Then he can Force-theme it up all he wants in the credits suite (which HAS to be new and through-composed for this one).

Leaving the Bowl now. Another year of musical magic. I think hearing the Galaxy's Edge suite live may have been one of the top highlights. (Especially because the audience didn't know it well enough to be singing along...but I'm a cranky curmudgeon when it comes to these things.) Great conducting by David Newman, great selections, great video media, and of course great performances, all at a venue that continues to be worth the inconveniences.

My brain doesn't know which earworm to stick with, but I'm mostly cycling on The Adventures of Han.

Various clips from Aug. 31 (53 minutes)

• Han Solo and the Princess from The Empire Strikes Back
  • Theme from Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
  • Excerpts from Jurassic Park (with film)
  • Luke and Leia from Return of the Jedi
  • Star Wars Main Title
  • Yoda's Theme from The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Raiders March from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Various clips of Williams conducting on Sep. 1, including talking about TROS (12 minutes):