Sign in to follow this  
Ricard

'John Williams: Maestro of the Movies' at the Hollywood Bowl, Aug 31 - Sep 2, 2019 (David Newman conducting, John Williams special guest)

August probably conflicts with Episode IX scoring sessions. He might be on doctor's orders to refrain from conducting concerts if he's going to be doing Star Wars sessions at the same time. 

I'm guessing William Ross will handle the more intense action cues on IX as well. Would be nice to know what he actually conducted on TLJ (presumably the action material like Crait and Escape). 

Where was it noted Williams as a special guest? The release I read simply stated it was Williams' music conducted by Newman, which is disappointing from the standpoint of going to see a Stones concert without Mick of Keith. Even if they are sitting and listening with you, still not the same. My travel plans might be altered by this.

I'd missed the part at the bottom where Williams is listed as being there. You'd have to think it will end up like the 80th birthday celebration where Williams picked up the baton for the Imperial March. Much more interested in going again. 

Here's the program for the Bowl concert:

John Williams’ history with the Hollywood Bowl is legendary. This year, our beloved master of cinematic scores introduces a memorable evening of his movie music to be conducted by his colleague and friend, maestro David Newman, including some selections performed with film clips. It’s an unforgettable concert you won’t want to miss!

Program

WHITING, arr. John WILLIAMS : “Hooray For Hollywood” from Hollywood Hotel
John WILLIAMS : Overture to The Cowboys
John WILLIAMS : Two Selections from Jane Eyre
John WILLIAMS : “Han Solo and the Princess” from The Empire Strikes Back (with film)
Alfred NEWMAN : 20th Century Fox Fanfare
Alfred NEWMAN : Theme from How the West Was Won (with film)
Richard RODGERS : “The Carousel Waltz” from Carousel Film Score Suite

Intermission

John WILLIAMS : Theme from Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
John WILLIAMS : Opening Sequence from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (with film)
John WILLIAMS : Excerpts from Jurassic Park (with film)
John WILLIAMS : Excerpts from Saving Private Ryan (with film)
John WILLIAMS : “Dry Your Tears, Afrika” from Amistad
John WILLIAMS : “The Adventures of Han” from Solo: A Star Wars Story
John WILLIAMS : “Luke and Leia” from Return of the Jedi
John WILLIAMS : Star Wars Main Title

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/794/2019-08-30/maestro-of-the-movies-the-music-of-john-williams

Some interesting choices! Lovely to see Jane Eyre and also pieces by Alfred Newman (including Carousel, which was one of JW's first orchestrating gigs).

JW is listed only as a "host", but If I were a betting man, I'd put some money on him conducting at least several selection in the second half.

Would love to see John conduct the Adventures of Han!

I guess the back to back choral pieces means there's going to be a choir too.

Great selection overall though, interesting mix of old and new.

The opening sequence of ET synced to film - pretty cool! I know I enjoyed that part of the full movie's live to projection concert quite a bit

I wish JW did more stuff like that, random cues synced to picture. Imagine performances of Journey to the Island from Jurassic Park, Desert Chase from Raiders, The Last Battle from Star Wars or The Reunion from A.I.?

He's far too modest if he believes only his concert arrangements are appropriate for the concert setting. He's written probably hundreds of film cues that would work just as effectively in a concert setting.