Junkie XL's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2019) & SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (2022)

John

Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) to score ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie.

Tom Holkenborg (aka Junkie XL) (Mad Max: Fury Road, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Black Mass, Divergent) confirmed in a new interview with Film Music Magazine that he is currently scoring the upcoming live-action/animated hybrid feature Sonic the Hedgehog. The film is directed by Jeff Fowler and stars Ben Schwartz, James Marsden, Tika Sumpter, Neal McDonough, Adam Pally and Jim Carrey. The movie is based on the Sega video game franchise and follows a small-town sheriff in the rural town of Green Hills who teams up with Sonic to help him escape from the government who is looking to capture him. Neal H. Moritz (Fast & Furious series, 21/22 Jump Street) is producing the project. Tim Miller and Toby Ascher serve as executive producers. Holkenborg has previously collaborated with Miller on the original Deadpool movie. Sonic the Hedgehog is set to be released on November 8, 2019 by Paramount Pictures.

Okay, now this is epic.

Those Sonic games have fantastic scores. Composers really had to be clever with how they designed their scores around the limitations of 16 bit sound. Likewise David Wise and his Donkey Kong scores (hard to believe he composed those in his late 20s!)

Unfortunately, as with modern CGI, it's all become a little too easy with modern technology...

Mad Max was a fine score for the movie it accompanied but this strikes me as a very strange choice given the video game scores. 

Well, we've given the fans the middle finger with the film itself, why not with the music too.

(Don't get me wrong, I think Junkie XL is a decent composer at times, but I just don't hear 'speedy blue hedgehog' from any of his stuff)

On 2/16/2019 at 11:28 PM, dougie said:

Grant was a crappy playable character but I loved being the raptor.

I liked the Universal Studios ride raft level where the T-Rex popped out of the drain pipe and consumed all of Grant except his hat.

jptrexride.jpg

This game was rather creepy.

• 2 months later...

This really doesn't look to be interesting in any way. Bad idea for a film I think, but apparently there are enough fans of these things to support this. I don't know. I feel the same way about...ahem.. that Detective Pikachu thing.

Oh I think Detective Pikachu looks much, much better than what we've seen from this movie so far.

At least in Pikachu's case, it seems apparent that the filmmakers actually understand the property and are doing it justice.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The world can be divided into two types of people.

Those who find this image adorable and those who are lost

MV5BM2Y5YTdkYTAtZmM2Mi00MGMwLWJhNzQtZTEw

Why doesn't Pickachew talk with his cute squeaky voice in this? Instead he sounds like some American smart arse.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Man-children are criminally unrepresented in modern society.  When will corporations pander to us I ask!

QUESTIONS:

Do man-children have to like video games?

Is there such thing a toxic man-childishness?