Junkie XL's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2019) & SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (2022)

John

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The world can be divided into two types of people.

Those who find this image adorable and those who are lost

MV5BM2Y5YTdkYTAtZmM2Mi00MGMwLWJhNzQtZTEw

Cute maybe. But pairing it with Ryan Reynolds’ voice + an endless litany of smartass one-liners makes me reach for the mute button.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Detective Pikachu started life as a videogame, not a meme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detective_Pikachu

I'm talking more about how the movie looks manufactured to make ironic memes.  "Isn't it wacky that they made that?!!"

I thought Detective Pikachu had weak CGI, boy was I wrong - this film looks like an instant flop! How do they think they can get away with this shitty CG nonsense? 17 years ago we had Gollum!

If I see this, I'll see it for Jim Carrey.

23 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh, and you only get two syllables

If we're talking Dreamcast era (minus Sonic & His Shitty Friends) then I'm totally on board.  I LOVE games like Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, and House of the Dead 2 (also that great Looney Tunes cart racer but that wasn't Sega).

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If we're talking Dreamcast era (minus Sonic & His Shitty Friends) then I'm totally on board.  I LOVE games like Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, and House of the Dead 2 (also that great Looney Tunes cart racer but that wasn't Sega).

Sakamoto in the house!

OMG Crazy Taxi, great times!

Simpsons Road Rage was a great knock off too!

Older games like Crazy Taxi and Tony Hawk aren’t the same without their iconic soundtracks. 

Even GTA Vice City lost some of its 80s hits when Rockstar ported it over to PS4. 

For some reason music licenses are treated differently with games and TV shows than movies. Scrubs, for instance, has a much different soundtrack now compared to the DVD releases, and even more different when compared to the original airings. 

I dunno.  I'd gladly play a new Crazy Taxi without the Offspring in 2019.  I'd probably play it muted listening to a podcast or something anyway!

• 6 months later...

I think as maligned as the old design is, it seemed like they were going for a more realistic aesthetic. Now Sonic looks strangely anachronistic almost in the same way that the cartoon characters look like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit - however there was an explanation in that film for their appearance and it was the first of it's kind with feature-length rotoscope animation. Here it looks like Sonic was literally a model transported from one of the later games without factoring in the hyper-realistic pixar-quality detail that's needed to place him in the real world. Detective Pikachu was just pushing it, but barely and that's why I find these films reprehensible because they don't have the budget to fret over CG and the audience they're catering to don't give a damn. If they can't create convincing CG characters on the level of Weta Digital's Gollum, then they should go all-out CGI animation and close the gap.

Looks fucken terrible. I realise you're just giving this all way too much thought in regards to the animation when you compare to Roger Rabbit, but come on! That was a great flick about a depressed alcoholic private eye getting his life back on track in 1940s Hollywood while the classic Disney and Warner Brothers characters shared the screen for the first and only time.

THIS is a ridiculous Japanese video game movie for little kids. Very strictly for little kids. You guys are actually interested in this?

ShallowEnragedGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

Oh no, I'm not criticizing Who Framed Roger Rabbit @Gruesome Son of a Bitch I was using it as a contrast to how poor the CGI looks in this film. In the age of de-ageing, resurrecting dead actors and Gollum and Thanos, how do these corporations square this shitty CG with the likes of Weta Digital, ILM, DreamWorks and Pixar?

I feel like we're really failing to keep in mind the fact that the work here had to likely be heavily crunched to get it looking like it does, even after the delay. As such, it's impressive they've managed to make it look as nice as it does. It obviously needs refinement for sure, but kudos to the VFX team for making it look as presentable as it could be in the time given.

• 3 months later...

Seriously? If that's "improved" then your bar must be pretty damn low. Sounds as generic as all the other mass-produced garbage churned out by Hollywood composers these days.

What is his criteria when choosing what name he puts on an album? Is it his choice or the studio's to show Holkenborg or Junkie XL? Because this one is TH, but Divergent was Junkie for example.

And then Mad Max was 'Tom Holkenborg AKA Junkie XL'.

Is it true that Jon Broxton once criticized Junkie on Facebook or something, and then Zimmer went berserk after him on social media? I remember reading something like that somewhere.

But I dunno, like or not his music, Zimmer seems like a pretty good, decent person, not your typical internet troll.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Seriously? If that's "improved" then your bar must be pretty damn low. Sounds as generic as all the other mass-produced garbage churned out by Hollywood composers these days.

? No. 1. He has been slowly but surely getting better. ALITA was a breakthrough score for him, and even reviewers like Southall and Broxton concur; I'm not really a fan of his stuff prior to that. 2. Where did I ever say that "improved" means that he's all of a sudden better than everyone else? He started off as one of the furthest below my bar. Are you really saying that it is impossible for him to improve? The fact is he's better than what he used to be; he used to be awful. Where/how does that imply that I suddenly think he's a genius? Weird comment.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Ah of course, the classic RCP move.

Don't worry, soon Di Iorio will have earned enough money to hire his own minions to the hard work for him, while he gets credited for the score. Junkie, Balfe and almost everyone there started this way.

There's just no winning when an RCP composer is talked about here. If it turns out bad, then it's a factory produced mess. If it's good, then surely it wasn't because of the guy who's name is on the front cover. Not to say that there isn't any merit in figuring out what exactly happens in the production of a score by the company, but it gets us nowhere if it's constantly the same jokes and comments.

Might as well start saying that now the hired minions have to get their own hired guns when Zimmer is expected to deliver a score in 6 hours.

Just came back from the film - another safe, lazy earth-centric story that felt like a spiritual twin to Detective Pikachu. I always complained how poor the CGI was, but the story turned out to be worse than the effects, making them somewhat inoffensive.

The score didn't sound like the typical Holkenborg output, and much like Alita and Mortal Engines, he's clearly trying to do more than just ape Zimmer or provide endless drum loops; he's developing some orchestral voice. It just didn't stand out in the film, and that was also hampered by the mixing which relegated the score to background wallpaper. The Detective Pikachu score from Henry Jackmam had some kind of synth element to the score which I was hoping Holkenborg would've also implemented to perhaps link it to the 8-bit style of the original Sonic games. I think what I find frustrating about this score (and Alita) is that I remember liking it in the film, but I can't remember them outside and removed from the context.