John Williams to conduct Miami's 'New World Symphony' orchestra, March 2, 2019

Ricard

It's a gala benefit that he's conducting, but the WALLCAST that is mentioned is a live, FREE simulcast of the performance to the public park outside the New World Center in Miami Beach.  So "yes" and "no;" there are tickets for $2,500, but a few thousand people will be able to watch the concert for free just outside the concert hall.  Here's a link to more information about the WALLCAST, and what it will look like: https://www.nws.edu/events-tickets/wallcast-concerts-and-park-events/

The Maestro will be performing in Miami... I live only an hour away, and there is a free, live simulcast of the gala concert just outside the area where the concert will be performed... I cannot pass this opportunity. I am definitely going!

• 2 weeks later...

In spirit.😊

I’m not poor, to answer your question directly. While I could not afford a ticket to the gala event, I am right outside the New World Center, the location of the gala event, where they are doing a free live simulcast of the concert. 

There is a legion of Imperial Stormtroopers right outside. They are taking pictures and mingling with guests. I honestly was not expecting that, but I was not surprised either.

I am truly glad that I am able to experience this concert.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

There is a legion of Imperial Stormtroopers right outside. They are taking pictures and mingling with guests. I honestly was not expecting that, but I was not surprised either.

It's impossible to do a John Williams concert in this day and age without that sort of thing going on these days.

It cheapens the event, I think.

28 minutes ago, hornist said:

Ennio looks better. 

It is hazardous to associate how a man looks to how well he composes. 

18 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

My first uploaded videos to YouTube. [...] Enjoy!

Thanks so much, Johnny! After the devastating blow with us and our daughter already having secured seats in row 7 for Vienna and the Philharmonics this is really gut-wrenchingly nice to see and hear. I might even show it to her so that she at least gets a faint idea of how it feels to experience the Maestro in person as we did in those golden days past (1996) with the LSO at the Barbican...

Thank you for sharing that. I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. The concert truly was a spectacular evening with a few unexpected and wonderful surprises. I guess I myself can finally check seeing the Maestro live off my bucket list, though I still want to attend one of his concerts in Tanglewood. This was really great.

One minor correction for the main page info. Sarah Hicks conducted Harry's Wondrous World AND Raiders of the Lost Ark. Also, Michael Tilson Thomas DID NOT conduct Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I cannot spell that one guy's name, but he conducted it. Minor correction.

I have to add something myself after the fact: Having been completely overwhelmed emotionally (see above) the first time I barely registered it, but on second viewing it's evident:

Did anybody else notice the Maestro's conducting during the final bars of E.T.? Either the timpani player got ahead of him or something else was irritating him for a split-second which he then covered up, being a pro, with gestures and by hitting the final beat. Hm...

...does anybody (with [watching] conducting experience) have any insights on this?

Neither the timpani player got ahead of him nor was he irritated. It was just a gesture to hold the note. The way it was performed was pitch perfect. The gesture was simple affirmation and signaling to hold the bar a few seconds. Nothing out of the ordinary.

14 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Neither the timpani player got ahead of him nor was he irritated. It was just a gesture to hold the note. The way it was performed was pitch perfect. The gesture was simple affirmation and signaling to hold the bar a few seconds. Nothing out of the ordinary.

It indeed was performed beautifully by the orchestra - that is very true; most beautifully.

Hm. But I meant _before_ that, when he tries to give the cue for the timpani once, hesitates, tries one more even stronger beat and then goes into that holding pose, touches his left ear and ultimately goes for the final downbeat.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, sorry, then it's just me ... and thanks again for this wonderful documentation of Maestro Williams at 87 plus three weeks. ;-D

1 hour ago, Martinland said:

I meant before that, when he tries to give the cue for the timpani once, hesitates, tries one more even stronger beat and then goes into that holding pose, touches his left ear and ultimately goes for the final downbeat.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, sorry, then it's just me ... and thanks again for this wonderful documentation of Maestro Williams at 87 plus three weeks. ;-D

Exactly. That is what I was explaining. No problem. Glad you enjoyed it. 

thanks much for the upload!
is it just me or two links aren't working? one of them is https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIUf9NX oi-k - I got redirected to google 😉

You added a space between the X and the o for some reason

But yea I don't know why he posted them as plain text instead of either embeds or hyperlinks

Thanks much, Jay - I copied the link and somehow that space ended up in the address I pasted - it's all computer's fault, lol

On 3/3/2019 at 2:17 AM, JohnnyD said:

The Maestro conducted Theme from Schindler’s List, with special guest Itzhak Perlman, a surprise to myself and everyone. After that, he shared his anecdote about seeing the film for the first time with Steven Spielberg. It is still funny every time he shares that.

That irritates me anytime, since Jerry Goldsmith was still alive around on 1993

Johnny looks very smart in a vest! I hope he wears that to the IX sessions 😍

Would certainly get the harp players a little hot under the collar.