Comparing the 7-CD Harry Potter Collection to the original soundtrack releases.

Lord Dusty

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at the track list for the 7-CD Harry Potter Collection and I noticed that a few of the tracks have the same names and similar run times (different by a few seconds) to the original 2001/02/04 soundtrack releases. Some tracks are new, some are mentioned to be extended or alternate but I was wondering whether anyone could definitively list those tracks which are straight copies of those on the originals. The slight difference in run times has thrown me and especially with the longer tracks I can't tell if there is any difference.

For example:

Harry's Wondrous World on the original Philosopher's Stone soundtrack is 5:21 but in this new collection its 5:05 and 5:26(labelled 'Extended Version'), but then you have a 5:02 version on both the original and new Chamber of Secrets soundtracks.

Also, on the new Prisoner of Azkaban CD's they list Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme) and Apparition on the Train as [Film Version], with another version of them unlabelled later on, but the time difference is marginal. Are they really that different?

51 minutes ago, Lord Dusty said:

Harry's Wondrous World on the original Philosopher's Stone soundtrack is 5:21 but in this new collection its 5:05 and 5:26(labelled 'Extended Version'), but then you have a 5:02 version on both the original and new Chamber of Secrets soundtracks.

Harry's Wondrous World on the first OST was edited by a few bars which are now included in this set. Harry's Wondrous World from the second OST did not have that edit. It is shorter, because a new more triumphant ending was recorded for the cue which just happened to be a bit shorter.

54 minutes ago, Lord Dusty said:

Also, on the new Prisoner of Azkaban CD's they list Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme) and Apparition on the Train as [Film Version], with another version of them unlabelled later on, but the time difference is marginal. Are they really that different?

The alternate of Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme) is technically the exact same version, using the takes that were on the OST, whereas the version in the main program uses the takes that were used in the film. It's the same with the Fawkes Heals Harry alternate. Apparition on the Train has some tiny differences, I guess, but nothing that I took notice of.

31 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The first two scores sound clearly better, but the third score already sounded so good on the OST that there is little space for improvement left.

Agreed as to PoA!

As to PS and CoS, I'm not so sure. Some tracks seem to sound definitely clearer and more powerful, others seem strangely muffled. Maybe it's just that I'm so accustomed to the way the OST albums sound, it's throwing me a bit off. Not sure how much I can trust my own judgment in this regard. 

By the way, I absolutely love how clear "House Selection" sounds! This is really Home Alone level of clarity!

16 hours ago, Lord Dusty said:

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at the track list for the 7-CD Harry Potter Collection and I noticed that a few of the tracks have the same names and similar run times (different by a few seconds) to the original 2001/02/04 soundtrack releases. Some tracks are new, some are mentioned to be extended or alternate but I was wondering whether anyone could definitively list those tracks which are straight copies of those on the originals. The slight difference in run times has thrown me and especially with the longer tracks I can't tell if there is any difference.

For example:

This should answer all your questions about the first two scores (note there are multiple tabs on each sheet)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B59r_jImSzoPfypk-qxe5bZMNjyKkZcpIcOAks4kzHw/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lenk84oELk7Uo6jN1ew4BTSDbfJvgJLfVxJxx2s_SKA/

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:47 AM, Brundlefly said:

Harry's Wondrous World on the first OST was edited by a few bars which are now included in this set. Harry's Wondrous World from the second OST did not have that edit. It is shorter, because a new more triumphant ending was recorded for the cue which just happened to be a bit shorter.

The alternate of Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme) is technically the exact same version, using the takes that were on the OST, whereas the version in the main program uses the takes that were used in the film. It's the same with the Fawkes Heals Harry alternate. Apparition on the Train has some tiny differences, I guess, but nothing that I took notice of.

Thanks. I never recognise any minor changes, so when the track times differ by a few seconds it confuses me.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

This should answer all your questions about the first two scores (note there are multiple tabs on each sheet)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B59r_jImSzoPfypk-qxe5bZMNjyKkZcpIcOAks4kzHw/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lenk84oELk7Uo6jN1ew4BTSDbfJvgJLfVxJxx2s_SKA/

This is really useful thank you. I wish this sort of information was easier to find as I dislike having multiple copies of the exact same track.

Do you know if there is or will be one for the third film?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'll post one for Azkaban eventually

There's really no reason to keep the OSTs for any of these three scores.  Just listen to the new editions only

Great cheers.

It's just a personal preference to how I organise my digital library. Having the OST for over 10 years just to replace them isn't how I like to keep it. I don't mind if I have multiples of extended/shortened/split/alternate tracks but when they are exactly the same I don't like having two or more to listen to. It's why I've never really had a problem with the LotR Complete Scores because I never found a two tracks that were identical 

The only track on the original Potter OSTs that contain anything that can't be found in the new box set is "Christmas At Hogwarts" from HP1.  The performance of the singing ghosts is slightly different there.

Every single other track on the OSTs is either identical to a LLL track, or an edit of music that is entirely found on the LLL.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I still think the OSTs are worth owning, since they are JWs way of presenting the scores as listening experiences separated from the films.

You know, I used to think that too, but every time I try and listen to HP1, my 'OSTs are important' reasons just don't stand a chance: suite, score, coke ad, score, suite, lousy edit...

Who would want to throw away the OST albums? 

I'll still keep them no matter what, although I'm mainly (though not exclusively) listening to the LLL editions now. And I still think some tracks on the PoA OST album (like "Aunt Marge's Waltz" and "Rainy Nights") sound better than the same tracks on the LLL set.

This is what my player looks now.... The numbers under the titles indicate the number of tracks. Nice to have the entire JW Potter scores in your pocket! 

Next: the Star Wars prequels! :)

DSC_7818.JPG

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I own the Dracula OST, but not Heartbeeps. I should've swapped that damn thing, before they released the goddamn definitive edition!

I bought the OST album of Dracula second hand less than a year before the Deluxe Edition was released! And I paid around 80 Euros if I remember correctly. 😂 

Ah what the hell. You can't tell the future.

50 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I will either listen to the complete scores or to my own edits, because I don't consider the first and the third OST as very representative of the scores.

@Josh500, oh my God, you own Heartbeeps!:o

It's at least on Spotify.

54 minutes ago, Lord Dusty said:

@Josh500 How can you live with having multiple albums of the same name one after another, the series out of order, and having the 'and' + 'the' capitalised! I couldn't stand it.  

Simple. I'm not OCD. 

Besides, it's hardly multiple albums. It's just two of each. And the LLL albums are marked (LLL) at the end.

51 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, the guy's really despicable.

;)

Says the low-life scum! 

;)

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Simple. I'm not OCD. 

Besides, it's hardly multiple albums. It's just two of each. And the LLL albums are marked (LLL) at the end.

The strange thing is I'm untidy and cluttered in almost everything except my music library, where I have strict rules and regulations to keep the whole thing organised. Album name, artist, year, track number all have to be right, the album artwork has to of a decent quality, every track is played at least once an all rated to my own system. The whole reason I made this post was because I don't like having multiples of the same track!

Having all these film soundtracks out of order because of alphabetical order just looked really awkward to me.

FB1 - FB2 - HP2 - HP7 - HP8 - HP4 - HP6 - HP5 - HP1 - HP3 

or

FB1 - FB2 - HP2 - HP2(LLL) - HP7 - HP8 - HP4 - HP6 - HP5 - HP1 - HP1(LLL) - HP3 - HP3(LLL)

Hobbit/Lord of the Rings goes 1-3-2 - 1-3-2, Indiana Jones 4-3-1-2, Pirates of the Caribbean 3-1-2-5-4. Planet of the Apes is all over the place with Battle-Beneath-Conquest-Dawn-Escape-Planet-Rise-War!

When will someone create a series with all the titles in alphabetical order?

2 hours ago, Lord Dusty said:

The strange thing is I'm untidy and cluttered in almost everything except my music library, where I have strict rules and regulations to keep the whole thing organised. Album name, artist, year, track number all have to be right, the album artwork has to of a decent quality, every track is played at least once an all rated to my own system. The whole reason I made this post was because I don't like having multiples of the same track!

Having all these film soundtracks out of order because of alphabetical order just looked really awkward to me.

or

FB1 - FB2 - HP2 - HP2(LLL) - HP7 - HP8 - HP4 - HP6 - HP5 - HP1 - HP1(LLL) - HP3 - HP3(LLL)

Hobbit/Lord of the Rings goes 1-3-2 - 1-3-2, Indiana Jones 4-3-1-2, Pirates of the Caribbean 3-1-2-5-4. Planet of the Apes is all over the place with Battle-Beneath-Conquest-Dawn-Escape-Planet-Rise-War!

To fix that issue, I just labeled the playlists "Harry Potter 1: The Philosopher's Stone" "Harry Potter 2: The Chamber of Secrets" and so on.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

To fix that issue, I just labeled the playlists "Harry Potter 1: The Philosopher's Stone" "Harry Potter 2: The Chamber of Secrets" and so on.

It took me a few years but eventually I worked out how to order albums on iTunes without having to alter the visible album name. You go on the 'sorting' tab when filling in the track info and then you can set the album names to Harry Potter 1, Harry Potter 2, etc. The album names will still show up as Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, etc but they will be ordered by how you set the sort album names. Its the same way the system ignores the 'The' at the beginning of song/album names when organising alphabetically.

4 hours ago, Lord Dusty said:

or

Yeah, I actually know what you're talking about. I remember giving this issue some thought 15 years ago, when the OSTs came out and I was just beginning to use digital music players and was organising my music collection....

But again, I don't have OCD. The time I've given this issue thought is maybe twenty minutes total. I'd rather focus all my attention and concentration on the music and its aspects themselves rather than these extraneous issues. So what CoS comes before PS, and KotCS comes before ToD (while RotLA is completely elsewhere)? One gets used to it, like everything else in life. The important thing is to be able to find them as quickly as possible....

2 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Actually, knowingly or unknowingly, I've done that with the Star Wars series.

They're labeled on my player Star Wars Episode l The Phantom Menace, Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones, etc.

I could do that with HP too, but then why bother? It's just 3 movies, not 30!

9 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, I actually know what you're talking about. I remember giving this issue some thought 15 years ago, when the OSTs came out and I was just beginning to use digital music players and was organising my music collection....

But again, I don't have OCD. The time I've given this issue thought is maybe twenty minutes total. I'd rather focus all my attention and concentration on the music and its aspects themselves rather than these extraneous issues. So what CoS comes before PS, and KotCS comes before ToD (while RotLA is completely elsewhere)? One gets used to it, like everything else in life. The important thing is to be able to find them as quickly as possible....

For the first few years my library was pretty messy because I had so few tracks but when I started getting into soundtracks I found a need to properly organise. Unlike with albums of popular music a lot of soundtracks are grouped in series so putting them together and in the right order made sense to me. Having a series out of order was only a minor distraction but when all the albums were all over the place because of different first words (Planet of the Apes I'm looking at you!) it was far more annoying to find.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is is 4-3-2-1, since the first movie is called "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Technically it is, but it had been referred to as IJatRofLA similar to how Star Wars became Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

I'm not averse to changing names to fit in with others in the series. In the UK the first Avengers was called Avengers Assemble and the 5th Pirates film was Salazar's Revenge not Dead Men Tell No Tales. I prefer the originals so I use them. Rogue One/Solo : A Star Wars Story is Star Wars: Rogue One/Solo. Jason Bourne is The Bourne Betrayal. 

I also like arranging films by in-universe chronologically so Temple of Doom comes first, Solo & Rogue One between Ep III & IV, Fantastic Beasts before HP. The MCU and the X-Men series is a nightmare to work out though :blink: 

22 hours ago, Lord Dusty said:

It took me a few years but eventually I worked out how to order albums on iTunes without having to alter the visible album name. You go on the 'sorting' tab when filling in the track info and then you can set the album names to Harry Potter 1, Harry Potter 2, etc. The album names will still show up as Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, etc but they will be ordered by how you set the sort album names. Its the same way the system ignores the 'The' at the beginning of song/album names when organising alphabetically.

Thats a much better trick

18 hours ago, Lord Dusty said:

For the first few years my library was pretty messy because I had so few tracks but when I started getting into soundtracks I found a need to properly organise. Unlike with albums of popular music a lot of soundtracks are grouped in series so putting them together and in the right order made sense to me. Having a series out of order was only a minor distraction but when all the albums were all over the place because of different first words (Planet of the Apes I'm looking at you!) it was far more annoying to find.

Not sure how old you are, but have you been collecting music before the advent of digital music? I have. I was actually listening to the CDs themselves when I started getting into film scores, and I was so lazy putting the CDs back in their respective cases. Also, when you were on the go, you actually had to pick a CD or two you wanted to take along (say, Jurassic Park and the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration album). Now that was messy!

Compared to those times, it's a blessing what we have now! So I really don't give a damn whether the Indy series or the Harry Potter series are slightly out of order in my media library or music player... 

I'm still slightly baffled and endlessly grateful I can carry my entire music collection in my pocket!

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Also, when you were on the go, you actually had to pick a CD or two you wanted to take along (say, Jurassic Park and the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration album). Now that was messy!

But that also has a charming aspect - making a choice that one has to go with afterwards.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

But that also has a charming aspect - making a choice that one has to go with afterwards.

It was a simpler time, that's for sure. Like making a date with someone... And unable to cancel at the last minute because nobody owns a cell phone. You had to stick to your plans.

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Not sure how old you are, but have you been collecting music before the advent of digital music? I have. I was actually listening to the CDs themselves when I started getting into film scores, and I was so lazy putting the CDs back in their respective cases. Also, when you were on the go, you actually had to pick a CD or two you wanted to take along (say, Jurassic Park and the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration album). Now that was messy!

Compared to those times, it's a blessing what we have now! So I really don't give a damn whether the Indy series or the Harry Potter series are slightly out of order in my media library or music player... 

I'm still slightly baffled and endlessly grateful I can carry my entire music collection in my pocket!

I'm a early 90's guy, so I had about 10 years worth of CD's before going predominantly digital. LotR was my first soundtrack CD and they got a lot of plays especially on a NZ holiday, but I wasn't a massive music listener until mid teens so I never really had stacks of CD's to listen to. So by the time I had enough CD's to create a difficult choice I was moving onto digital. Apart from LotR, Star Wars, PotC & the early Assassin's Creed games, I wasn't much into soundtracks till around 2013 and now about 95% of what I listen to is soundtrack.

I find organising my digital library much easier than tidying in real life, so I make a little effort keeping it logical and easily labelled. I know its not for everyone but whenever I look at my brothers digital library with its missing artwork, multiples of the same albums because the title is spelt differently, and unknown artists, it gets me mildly annoyed that it doesn't annoy him. But now I know how people feel when they complain about my overrun desk!