Ennio Morricone is complimentary but critical of John Williams in his new book

Lewya

Didn't critic Royal S. Brown also make comments along those lines of how Williams actually set back the progress of film music by going all out retro for Star Wars?  I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something to that effect.

12 hours ago, Eplicon said:

Didn't critic Royal S. Brown also make comments along those lines of how Williams actually set back the progress of film music by going all out retro for Star Wars?  I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something to that effect.

He did (and yes, I know that there are more modernistic elements in his score, but still that is not what most of the score was about, it was retro).

19 hours ago, Eplicon said:

You could probably say the same thing about Mendelssohn and classical music, if you wanted to.

On 3/12/2019 at 2:12 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

You could probably say the same thing about Mendelssohn and classical music, if you wanted to.

Ain't that the truth? Though the irony would be lost on them, most likely...

All this stuff and much more important things are to be found in this wonderful book: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07N8YXWKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course it's set in a broader context and the intellectual depths of Morricone's thoughts go far beyond such simplistic stuff. And he obviously is a famous chess player, too (winning against Boris Spasski).

40 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

P.S. I want to exclude from the conversation the notion that he "only repeated" what Korngold, Rózsa and others did. As far as I have been able to compare, he did their job better---which is the definition of improvement.

He certainly didn't 'do it better' (a typical ignorant statement), he just updated it with more current stylings. 

• 10 months later...

I see the point in what Morricone says but I think he's making the mistake of evaluating Star Wars after knowing it was a huge success. In 1977 what Williams did was not mainstream nor a commercial choice. After the success Hollywood wanted every movie to sound and feel as Star Wars, but that's another story.

15 minutes ago, Ricardo Mortimer said:

Morricone's music for sci fi movies is pretty shitty.  For example: Mission to Mars...The Music does not fit there. It's hell to listen and watch. 

I, on the other hand, adore what he did for John Carpenter's The Thing. (Sci-Fi, right?)

There are some amazingly atmospheric/minimalistic/modernistic pieces in there, especially even the unused tracks, one of which surprisingly (at least for me, sitting in the movie theatre) turned up in a suspenseful scene of The Heightful Eight.

3 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Melodist less than anything else. That's how I would put it. Except that simple "Good, Bad, and Ugly" whistle/harmonica/ww trio, which I have to admit is a clever little idea, there is not one worthy melody in his ouvre as far as I'm concerned. Change my mind.

Gabriel's oboe? ;)

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

How did that score even qualify? The FYC itself was only 31 minutes long and, based on this interview, huge portions of the score weren't even written for the film:

https://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/quentin-tarantino-reveals-hateful-eight-score-features-unused-music-by-ennio-morricone-from-john-carpenters-the-thing-98001/

It just shows up the Oscars for the farce they are, especially when it comes to all the times Williams was questionably snubbed. Fortunately the music department clearly acknowledge extraneous factors when it comes to determining nominations (like the fact Williams wrote nearly 4 hours of music for TROS) and not just the paltry FYC that gets distributed, but then you have clueless morons like the anonymous director who slagged off his nomination as "bullshit." Clearly just an egotistical tosser with less talent than Williams holds in his left toenail.

Wow... Had not heard about this, but it makes Morricone look like he was too lazy/not willing to put in the effort to actually score the film proper. Either way, I never found it to be an Oscar-worthy score.