R.I.P. Andre Previn - dies at 89

Lewya

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

I love his adaptations for ROLLERBALL.

He also conducted the LSO in my favourite version of THE PLANETS.

Morecambe and Wise taught him everything knows.

R.I.P. Mr. Preview.

He played all the right notes, and sometimes in the right order. 

A sad loss. 

Sad news.  The first proper orchestral concert I ever attended was conducted by Andre Previn.  My year at school was taken because we were learning about Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition in music class and the orchestra (I think it was the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) happened to be playing it.  As with many things in life that we first experience as children, it was only later when I appreciated what an opportunity it was to see such a world famous musician in the flesh.

5 minutes ago, dougie said:

I have his score to that Bette Davis movie, Dead Ringers.

The FSM release of that score is so great. I also love all the other Previns Lukas Kendall put out for FSM, particularly The Fastest Gun Alive...totally awesome. I really hope we get a definitive two disc release of his score to The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse some day.

RIP Maestro Previn...thanks for all the music.

RIP.

What an eclectic, legendary fellow.

In my neck of the woods, he was conductor of the Houston Symphony way back in the day.

39 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

He was one of those dudes that I just thought would live forever.

Same with me.   

I remember my primary school teacher playing The Planets performed by Previn and the LSO on the sound system. I was so enamoured by the music that I dragged my Dad to the local library to borrow a copy so that I could listen to it whenever I wanted. It is still my go-to version of that work.

As well as Holst, I also greatly cherish his interpretation of Walton's Symphony No.1, which is widely regarded as the best of that work. It was very difficult/expensive to get hold for a while, though fortunately it is now available on Youtube:

Also very entertaining watching him rehearse a school orchestra...

RIP Andre Previn. You will be sorely missed.

Curiously, I'm nearly completely unfamiliar with his own music. But I have several of his recordings, and some of those seem so spot on to me that I never bothered to look up others for comparison. Incidentally, I just today attended a performance of Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky cantata, which I'm mainly familiar with through Previn's recording.

Mr. Previn was promoting his book "No Minor Chords" on Larry King's radio show many years ago.  I took the opportunity to call in and was able to ask him a question.  Something about Williams' symphony Previn had premiered.  It was all a blur.  I'd never called a radio show before, and haven't since.  Top notch guy.

5 minutes ago, TJH132 said:

Mr. Previn was promoting his book "No Minor Chords" on Larry King's radio show many years ago.  I took the opportunity to call in and was able to ask him a question.  Something about Williams' symphony Previn had premiered.  It was all a blur.  I'd never called a radio show before, and haven't since.  Top notch guy.

Yo, is that an Amiga avatar?

R.I.P Maestro Previn, I cherish the Strauss, Debussy, Prokofiev and Vaughan Williams recordings 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

A fucking good score, from a fucking good movie.

What is this movie ?

1 hour ago, TJH132 said:

Only Amiga makes it possible!

I always wanted to use Bars n Pipes, but Amiga faded out before my time, unfortunately. 

Thankfully, I can say differently for Previn. His band _was_ bigger than a cigar.  ...:(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of the guy. He literally did it all, and the fascinating thing is that he and John Williams not only knew each other since youth, but basically have all of the same accomplishments. Both big time film composers, have all the same awards (including the same amount of academy awards I believe), jazz records, classical records, directors of world class orchestra, concert composers who wrote for many major orchestras and soloists of the day (both of them writing for all the same people, with the exception of Previn not having written for Lang Lang). They also both wrote musicals (Previn did Coco, and Williams Thomas and the King), however the only thing Willimas has not done is an opera.

Wouldn't that be amazing? There should be a petition for him to do one.

***An interesting side note. Previn's "A streetcar named desire", was hugely publicized and made a big splash, but his second opera "Brief Encounter"didn't do so hot. I think it was the better of the two opera's (with his third being premiered this summer at Tanglewood), and the most interesting thing is the main love theme is, including the same harmonies, Williams "Luke and Leia Theme".

11 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

directors of world class orchestra

The Boston Pops is really not considered world class, although they partially feed on the players of the (world class) BSO.

Yes they are, especially in their day with Fiedler/ Williams era. They were one of the most famous orchestras in the world one, and two they are in actuality the Boston Symphony Orchestra with the first chairs removed, and the BSO is indeed a world class orchestra.

Also until about...... 2003, they were still playing a ton or classical contemporary/classical repertoire. It's only in the last ten years or so they specifically play "pop" stuff, as proir they played it all.