The Secrets of John Williams Writing Tools Revealed

BLUMENKOHL

3 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Disclaimer: I appended what I think is the JWFan Amazon affiliate code to the URL above, so if you buy it, use that link and support JWFan. Maybe @Jay can verify link is correct?

It is correct, thanks!

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Now we all can write like John Williams!

Oh won’t it be just so grand!

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Personally, I prefer the Staedtler Mars Lumograph with hardness H. Its tip is naturally more rounded than on an automatic pencil, and the added hardness makes sure there's no smudges. 

staedtler-mars-lumograph-pencil-h-1731-p

Uni Mitsubishi Hi Uni is a superior pencil if you haven’t tried it. Just a noticeable ounce smoother. Lumos feel a little bit more grainy. 

1 hour ago, Blumenkohl said:

Uni Mitsubishi Hi Uni is a superior pencil if you haven’t tried it. Just a noticeable ounce smoother. Lumos feel a little bit more grainy. 

I'll try it!

1 hour ago, Loert said:

I prefer the tried and tested method of quill and ink which yields the precision and flexibility required for notating dense orchestral textures:

InkBottleandQuill_2.jpg172ae1ce-4125-4e8

I find it more likely that this is JW's preferred writing tool.

@Blumenkohl, have you tried Palomino Blackwing or Tombow Mono 100?

Fun fact, he's actually wearing those jean shorts under the desk in the picture I posted. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Blumenkohl, have you tried Palomino Blackwing or Tombow Mono 100?

I haven't tried the Palomino, but I've heard good things from colleagues. I used to have an on-off relationship with Tombow Mono, but they started making them in Vietnam and the relationship completely soured. 

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The important question is what kind of writing tool JW used to write his classic scores during his golden era. It surely wasn't an automatic pencil.

Eagle electronic scorer 350. The company isn’t around anymore. But a Google search shows John donated the Star Wars pencil for a charity auction. 

You can probably find some new vintage ones for $4-7

55 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « funny pencil »

John Williams used the pen "Adulting is Hard" when writing the BFG.

He used "Please Shut up" when he wrote The Last Jedi.

He used "OMG" when he wrote "Jaws".

He used "Just Don't" when he wrote Jaws 2.

He used "I woke up like this" when he wrote "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

4 hours ago, hornist said:

Of all people, I was sure that you use only the Pen. 

Haha, this is true, actually--I use pens exclusively. What made you say this?

I used to love pencils, though, and I noticed a pretty strong difference in quality from pencils made in USA versus, say, Mexico (as in the case of Ticonderogas). 

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sure no one noticed.

I agree. This is a terrible clickbait title. Ban OP!

3 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

steal his look williams.png

At this cheap price of only $4330 you can now look like John Williams and write like John Williams! Limited special discounted ($4300)  "John Williams" package available only for a short period of time! Order yours now! Be the John Williams of your life!

9 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

steal his look williams.png

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

At this cheap price of only $4330 you can now look like John Williams and write like John Williams! Limited special discounted ($4300)  "John Williams" package available only for a short period of time! Order yours now! Be the John Williams of your life!

Love of trees?: priceless.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Madeline Newson said:

Yes, in fact, all the accessories of John Williams are very expensive. Although John Williams is a very cool composer, that's why true fans buy his stuff, and I'm a poor student, I definitely don't have that kind of money. I work every day and I can offer assignment writing help to students, you can read more about it here, this is a great help in writing assignments, I think it will be useful to you and maybe I will save up on something my idol's thing.

Oh? Please go on.

8 hours ago, Madeline Newson said:

Yes, in fact, all the accessories of John Williams are very expensive. Although John Williams is a very cool composer, that's why true fans buy his stuff, and I'm a poor student, I definitely don't have that kind of money. I work every day and I can offer assignment writing help to students, you can read more about it here, this is a great help in writing assignments, I think it will be useful to you and maybe I will save up on something my idol's thing.

Image result for I sense a trap

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

No way, that's hilarious! An advertising member/bot in the end! 

The Chane guy, too, it seems.  

LOL!

So I guess the profile pic is a stock phot and our hopes have a regular female poster have crashed up against the rocks, rather dramatically too. Woe is us!

Curious, as there was no ad in the post this afternoon.

Sneaky tricksy hobbitses editing posts now!