TORN Digital vs CD - How The Orville is breaking my heart!

KittBash

Ok aside from the overdramatic title here's my dilemma. 

I've wanted to pick up La La Land's Orville since they announced they were putting it together.
The trick is where I live in Canada with the shipping and exchange that 2 CD set will set me back almost $50.00 BUT on iTunes, I can pick up the digital release of the same album for $24.99 

What would you do? 

On one hand, I feel like I should save the money and pick up the digital copy, on the other hand, I prefer a physical copy and I don't think La La Land gets a dime if I buy the Digital. 

Then of course I start the Bargaining phase of my thought process... I could put the other $25 towards the new Superman and then everyone wins....LOL

Curious on how the rest of you fall on this ever increasing debate?

29 minutes ago, dougie said:

Buy the CD. You only live once. You never know what might happen tomorrow.

Well said good point... and my budget hates it when we talk like this 😀

More thought to be given 

4 hours ago, Brian99_1 said:

Then of course I start the Bargaining phase of my thought process... I could put the other $25 towards the new Superman and then everyone wins....LOL

This would be my line of thinking. Going digital not only allows you to get both releases, it sends a message to whoever has digital distribution rights to The Orville that such digital releases are worth their time to release, while also allowing you to send a bit of support toward LLL via your Superman purchase.

4 hours ago, Brian99_1 said:

I've wanted to pick up La La Land's Orville since they announced they were putting it together.
The trick is where I live in Canada with the shipping and exchange that 2 CD set will set me back almost $50.00 BUT on iTunes, I can pick up the digital release of the same album for $24.99 

What would you do? 

On one hand, I feel like I should save the money and pick up the digital copy, on the other hand, I prefer a physical copy and I don't think La La Land gets a dime if I buy the Digital. 

5 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

I'm usually very psychic and I have a terrible feeling something awful is gonna happen to you. I'm afraid you're gonna die.

Image associée

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Digital. The allure of physical media is not worth the cost. Simple value proposition. 

But what digital album costs $25? USD or CAD?

The Digital version is indeed $25 Canadian That seems to happen here when it's a double album.

10 hours ago, Brian99_1 said:

What would you do?  

IF you do decide to go digital, I would recommend getting it from Hdtracks, as it's in lossless 24-bit.

8 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

IF you do decide to go digital, I would recommend getting it from Hdtracks, as it's in lossless 24-bit.

I thought of that but it’s “unavailable in my country” 😕 

Good thought though. 

I still buy physical media where I can, but really, I'm not sure why, at least for regular releases.

I don't plan on selling my collection and the musical content is the same (even less in some cases with digital bonus tracks). It's just something about having those lossless files on a disc that I find comforting. For rarer titles I like the collectible value.

Although, one thing you can only do with a CD - rip a section (instead of tracks) to get a gapless rip for continuous tracks.

What would I do in this case? No idea :|

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Name one.

I'll name several: amputation of all limbs, your own brain and auditory nerves squealing at you 24/7, Crohn's disease, asbestos poisoning, and any other chronic condition that severely impacts your quality of life.

You'd rather be dead than be forced to endure any one of the above.

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

We have an expensive hobby, but I feel it is worth aligning your money to invest into it.

Sadly not everyone has the disposable income that allows them to support the labels as much as they would like.

Nah, ownership is non-negotiable. Strangely I don't feel that with movies/TV - I'm happy to stream them.

As I alluded to somewhere recently, it feels like the resources being used to manufacture physical copies and ship them around the world could be better used towards making the music available more easily and cheaply.

36 minutes ago, dougie said:

The music doesn't belong to you. You should pay a subscription to hear it.

Says the man whose ears no longer belong to him. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

If you buy the physical 2CD set of The Orville season 1, you support La-La Land, giving them some revenue to help fund future releases that might not come out at all otherwise, like perhaps The Orville Season 2.  You also get to read wonderful liner notes by Jeff Bond, in a booklet with very nice art design by Dan Goldwasser.

If you buy the digital version, you're only supporting Fox Records, as LLL has nothing to do with the digital release at all (other than them getting to sell the program Dan Goldwasser assembled for LLL, for free).  But you save some money, I suppose.

We have an expensive hobby, but I feel it is worth aligning your money to invest into it.

I know how to fix this... I start playing the lottery win big and just buy whatever I want. "That's one of everything please LLL!!!"

Though in all seriousness @Jay you hit the nail on the head. That is why I'm even having the so-called "dilemma" at all... My budget says no you can't do that, just go get the digital and put your budget into other limited releases but my heart says give LLL all my money LOL 😀 Some days I hate having a conscience at all 

Thanks to the OP for alerting me to the fact that The Orville Soundtrack is available to purchase digitally! I had no idea. I'll definitely be getting this on download (at 1/6th of the price of the CD) and saving my hard earned dosh for titles that aren't available digitally, such as the aforementioned LLL Superman. :D

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I still buy physical media where I can, but really, I'm not sure why, at least for regular releases.

I don't plan on selling my collection and the musical content is the same (even less in some cases with digital bonus tracks). It's just something about having those lossless files on a disc that I find comforting. For rarer titles I like the collectible value.

Although, one thing you can only do with a CD - rip a section (instead of tracks) to get a gapless rip for continuous tracks.

What would I do in this case? No idea :|

I’ve stopped for regular releases just simply because of my limited shelf space. Unless it’s Williams. 

There is no “right” answer here, but if you’re not super into collecting psysical media, or if money is an issue, just get the digital online version.

Get lossless, 16-bit/44.1 kHz. No need to pay a premium for 24-bit/96 kHz as it is unlikely you’ll hear the difference (the benifit is mostly theoretical, not practical). Don’t buy mp3s, though.

Don’t let anyone guilt you into paying more to “support” labels. It seems to me you are an enthusiast who probably supports the “right” labels at any given chance.

But since you ask - and since you are choosing between two legal options - you should do what suits you best. We all have different lives, incomes, expenses and preferences. If you have the bucks and the preference to buy the CD, then buy the CD. If not, don’t feel guilty about it.

If a company succeeds or fails is not up to individual enthusiasts - it is up to the company to make good business decisions, to be attuned to trends, and to deliver a service that there is demand for.

Who actually knows, buying the digital version might actually create an incentive for Fox to strike a better with LLL so that, in the future, part of the revenue from online sales can go back to LLL for providing a superior product than Fox could have by them selves.

Unless you want the designed boxes, CDs and booklets to keep coming, then you’d have to keep buying the CDs.

I make the call on a release-by-release basis.  Intrada's single disc physical releases for Marvel movies were $19.99+ shipping - I spent half that for the digital downloads.  I only had medium-level interest in those scores, though.

I spent that $19.99 on scores I knew I wanted on CD, though, like Up and Elfman's Oz score. 

So if not having this specific CD set is TEARING you, just splurge and buy it.  Save your money elsewhere, on scores that don't deserve a physical copy ;).

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

There is no “right” answer here, but if you’re not super into collecting psysical media, or if money is an issue, just get the digital online version.

Get lossless, 16-bit/44.1 kHz. No need to pay a premium for 24-bit/96 kHz as it is unlikely you’ll hear the difference (the benifit is mostly theoretical, not practical). Don’t buy mp3s, though.

Don’t let anyone guilt you into paying more to “support” labels. It seems to me you are an enthusiast who probably supports the “right” labels at any given chance.

This.

I think there's a danger of overly rose-tinting the idea of soundtrack buying into that ideal world when all of those expensive box sets disappear in 5 seconds by customers who salivate over a physical CD and its packaging.

But for some scores, the economics just don't work. If one of the labels released a score I had a passing interest in (i.e. a few tracks) and a simultaneous digital release was available, I'd go digital.

I felt this way massively with Intrada's release of Up on CD. Given that there was no additional music and it was literally the digital release pressed to CD, this didn't feel very momentous to me, and yet people were worshipping Intrada like the second coming. I had no complaints about the release, but the level of hype and celebration for a score being released on a disc was quite ridiculous.

Turning to the music for a moment. Something I never realized watching the show but listening to samples...

Wow, the first season had a lot of Trek Scores used as temp all throughout! So Far I've heard almost direct quotes from The Motion Picture, Wrath of Kahn (Opening to track 12 Alara Gets the Cold Shoulder) & First Contact within the first few episodes! 

Still great stuff though and I wish more TV still did full symphonic scores!! 

EDIT: Did I just heard Horners Danger motif in the track "Alara Gets the Cold Shoulder" as well?