Are you experiencing JW expanded soundtrack fatigue?

Jurassic Shark

Are you experiencing JW expanded soundtrack fatigue?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Are you experiencing JW expanded soundtrack fatigue?

Not sure what to vote here. I'm still excited about new expansions, if perhaps not quite as much as before they became so dependable, then at least not considerably less. But I do devote MUCH less time to most new expansions than I used to, simply because there's more and more music to listen to and the free time for listening, if anything, has become less. And of course, many of these expansions are scores I've known inside out for years, or even decades, so they don't come into my normal playlist rotation all that often anymore. I guess I've listened to the new Potters and Dracula about three times each so far.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, but I'm consistent. ;)

You're as consistent as the northern way.

I wouldn't call it "fatigue", but I definitely don't have the same enthusiasm I had before. Sure, I'm still buying everything I can. But it all stays shelved most of the time.

Partially because everything is so easy and practical today. I mean, you can have you entire music collection in a device that is as small as your hands, or smaller. So, the latest JW expansion will soon be "drowned" in a sea of music contained in my device. Even if you are still faithful to "old habits" like listening your music using a CD player (or a record player), it's not the same thing anymore. For instance, I'm pretty sure you didn't go out to a music store and bought your latest CD or vinyl there, rushed back home like a freaking maniac and put it on your CD or record player. You ordered it (and paid for it) online. And boy, I dare to say you didn't even use your PC to do that. You probably weren't even in your home. You could've been at work, at the bus or train stop, in your car stuck in traffic or waiting in the drive-thru of McDonald's, or you could as well be sitting on a beach chair looking at the ocean. And a few (or many) weeks later, voilà! There's you package, in your door. The whole experience of getting your stuff isn't as funny as it used to be, but at the same time you can't run away from it either.

You can say the same thing about movies too. So I'm not sure how to vote here.

12 minutes ago, phbart said:

I wouldn't call it "fatigue", but I definitely don't have the same enthusiasm I had before. Sure, I'm still buying everything I can. But it all stays shelved most of the time.

But you don't need to buy everything!

The SPR thread came closest to indicating the thought process. People saying 'why?', but saying they would still buy it anyway. That's the problem.

27 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The SPR thread came closest to indicating the thought process. People saying 'why?', but saying they would still buy it anyway. That's the problem.

Is it a bit like the Eurovision song contest for you guys? You'll say "this isn't that interesting to me", but then you'll watch it anyway? :D

50 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

But you don't need to buy everything!

I actually meant to say I buy everything I can and want to buy. Definitely SPR was not included.

There have been so many BIG releases in a row, I'm still just as excited about them as if they were spaced apart more, but I'm just kind of scattered trying to catch up. Trying to listen and digest them all and spend quality time with them. I thought Dracula was big news, but then it didn't ship when I ordered it, so I didn't get it until after HP. Then while I was still working my way through HP, I got Superman, and really wanted to hear that. So I still haven't listened to Dracula. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

I don't really need any more expansions at the moment, because these will sustain me for a long time. I also need to keep listening to E.T. and Close Encounters. I never get tired of Williams' music, there's always more enjoyment to be had from any of his scores, so I'm not about to get tired of any of the recent expansions anytime soon. In fact, I feel like my appreciation for Williams is at an all-time high, now that so much of his best music is available to enjoy. We have a vivid picture of the scope of Williams' achievements. But not only is it amazing to think about, the music itself still speaks to me as much as ever, if not more.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nobody in their right mind admits watching the ESC...

...but everyone does it regardless. 

Fatigue is way too strong a term for my experience. I'm still delighted anytime I get to enjoy more music from a score I like, not to mention anytime there's a big improvement in sound quality. I do think I inevitably get just a little less excited on average than I used to; brains are awfully good at acclimating to a new status quo. But it's just a slight change. And on the flip side, my confidence in the quality of new releases has never been higher.

I'm gonna vote with my gut and say no.

However many expansions we get until then, I won't be any less ecstatic when Mike announces he did the OT, TPM and Indy 1-3 for Disney on his own with final say on the releases than I would have been 2, 3, 5 years ago.

56 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nobody in their right mind admits watching the ESC...

It's quite fun in a larger group, especially with choir friends. And every once in a while they even have a good song or two in there.

This year marks the first time I'm actually rooting for someone though. Kate Miller Heidke is is competing for Australia. Her ESC song isn't particularly remarkable, and by far not her best, but she has lots of better material and I've been a fan of hers for years.

I didn’t buy Rosewood and I didn’t buy SPR. Nor did I buy the Lost In Space or Land of the Giants boxes.

I‘be bought pretty much everything else, but I still haven’t received my damn copy of Dracula.

I only need to think at the wonderful discoveries that I made when I listened to the expanded Dracula and Azkaban, to know that I will never experience fatigue about JW's expanded sets! 

There can be too much of a good thing, sometimes.  With all those expansions from last year and more recently that of SUPERMAN, it's almost coming at the expense of listening to the newer releases.  I still have a big backlog of new (that aren't new anymore!) albums that are still sitting on the shelf, unopened because of this. It's not necessarily a good problem to have.  Still, I eagerly await whatever expanded scores are coming out just to repeat the cycle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There is going to come a time when it isn't affordable any more for specialty labels to continue to mine these film studio's archives and release these nice physical products, so I am happy they are releasing what they can as often as they can right now.

Exactly my feelings on the matter. I'm buying everything I can now while it's available, knowing that anything can change at any time. The fact that I haven't the time to listen to them is irrelevant, I'll get to them some day.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Picked "to some degree."  My ears and brain are not feeling fatigue, but my wallet is.  For heavens sake, please tell the labels to switch back to Goldsmith for a while!

That will likely not help my poor wallet.

To be honest I have been experiencing it at least since 2011/12 (1941/Hook). Those were the last expansions I really cared for; and that comes from the mouth of someone who literally spent decades waiting (!) for CDs being released _at_all_ and hunting CDs/Boots/LPs all over the world; in real brick and mortar stores, you know. I even give the Colpix Records LP of "Diamond Head" a spin now and then (love that instrumental track right in the middle). I have quite a few LPs in my collection from way back when not every short cue was available from every score, but whole sections of John Williams' discography were not available other than on LP, if even that.

Nowadays I tend to cherish the original albums put together by the Maestro and their listening experience (plus the nostalgic experience, knowing where and when I got hold of them for the first time); except for a couple of indispensable cues only found on expansions of course (but that's been solved 7 to 25 years ago already, so, see topic)... ;)

1 hour ago, Martinland said:

Nowadays I tend to cherish the original albums put together by the Maestro and their listening experience 

Good man!

I'm 50/50 on this and of two minds about this. While I don't see no John Williams expanded soundtrack fatigue It really depends on how much do you love John Williams scores and soundtracks and how many of his expansions and expanded soundtracks are you willing to get? Times have change for that in 1997 when the RCA Victor Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition 2 CD Releases , The 2000 Superman The Movie Rhino Records 2 CD Release and the 8 Disc Superman The Music 1978-1988 Box Set came out those where the peak of the specialized soundtrack market. Buying CD Soundtracks and expanded soundtracks is not the same now as it was in 1997 most people are streaming or buying their music off of iTunes , Amazon Music , Google Play Music , listening to it via Spotify etc. Sure you have company's and labels like Varèse Sarabande , Intrada Records and La La Land Records who put out these Limited Edition CD Soundtrack Sets of John Williams scores and fans like myself will buy them but the specialized soundtrack market is not the same as it was back then. I do think it is nice where are getting these anniversary and John Williams expanded soundtracks since 2014 with Empire of The Sun , Jaws , 1941 , Hook , Saving Private Ryan , Close Encounters of The Third Kind , E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial . Harry Potter , Schindler's List and Superman: The Movie etc.. So for me the more John Williams expanded soundtracks the better still would love to see one day some remastered expanded soundtracks of The 1st 6 Star Wars Films though. Also Mike Matessino's liner notes in these John Williams expanded soundtrack releases from Varèse Sarabande , Intrada Records and La La Land Records are amazing.

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

The Prequels is the Destination

The destination is where the future unwritten scores are. Expanded scores to films not yet made!

23 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about waiting-fatigue?

Waiting fatigue is just called impatience!