Is your wallet experiencing JW expanded soundtrack fatigue?

Jurassic Shark

Is your wallet experiencing JW expanded soundtrack fatigue?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is your wallet experiencing JW expanded soundtrack fatigue?

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

No. I can't remember the last time I spent actual money on a JW expansion.

No. Nearly the same reason. (I can remember, as I wrote in the other thread: 2011/2012 ;-D)

I guess if TOM SAWYER counts, that's it. Not really an expansion, though, since the original release had none of the original Williams material. So more of a premiere score release, really.

Williams expansions of perfectly fine soundtracks hold absolutely zero interest to me.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about expansions when the OST is far from perpect?

Very simple: the OST is always perfect. Ears are closed shut while watching movie.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Williams expansions of perfectly fine soundtracks hold absolutely zero interest to me.

I'll just say this: you're missing out on some seriously frickin' awesome music that wasn't on the OSTs.

No way! You never know when other studios might copy Sony's decision to abandon third-party licensing, so keep these releases coming as quick as possible while the floodgates are open.

It's not really a problem unless you feel the need to purchase everything the moment it's released. None of these expansions will sell out within days so you have plenty of time to save your pennies. And obviously it's cheaper for international buyers to wait for multiple releases too (I'm holding off on Superman until LLL's next JW release, hopefully one of the Sony scores like Hook).

12 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'll just say this: you're missing out on some seriously frickin' awesome music that wasn't on the OSTs.

Not really, no. It's not a problem that exists for me. I don't care diddlysquat what's 'missing' or not, as the music in the film is not my reference for soundtrack listening. I only care about the soundtrack album as is, and it if holds up as a great listening experience/concept album as presented.

Not one bit. My income is nothing to write home about, but soundtracks are only costing me...what, $15 per month or so at the moment? Maybe less. I only buy releases I'm interested in. My hope is that LLL and Intrada will keep 'em coming!

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I only care about the soundtrack album as is, and it if holds up as a great listening experience/concept album as presented.

What if it doesn't hold up? Then an expanded release can enable you to create your own, improved listening experience.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What if it doesn't hold up? Then an expanded release can enable you to create your own, improved listening experience.

If it doesn't hold up, it doesn't hold up. I'll be disappointed. But that hardly ever happens, if the composer/producer has taken care to select highlight tracks and presented them in a listener-friendly fashion. In fact, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head where I've been underwhelmed by an A&A (arranged & abbreviated). I might be disappointed in the score itself, of course, but hardly ever such presentations. Not counting 'songtracks' where there's only a score track or two, and that are (often) therefore not representational.

If no album presentation exists, and a score is only released C&C from the get-go, I'll do my own playlist (which is the second best thing). I have looooong list of such albums in my possession that I need to create playlists out of.

What about the cases when the OST was assembled before all the music was recorded, due to time constraints? Then the OST is quite likely not an optimal presentation, from the composer's point of view.

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about the cases when the OST was assembled before all the music was recorded, due to time constraints? Then the OST is quite likely not an optimal presentation, from the composer's point of view.

True. I always require that an album be representational. What are some examples of this?

RotK.

The album had to be prepped before Shore had recorded (or even written) much of the battle music.

Something on the same lines goes for the final battle music in The Mummy Returns.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

True. I always require that an album be representational. What are some examples of this?

I suspect it's often the case, but the only one I can think about now where it happened for sure is FotR.

Interesting. I think the OSTs of the LOTR films are more or less perfect concept albums. But then I don't have the intricate knowledge of the music as it appears in the film, like so many JWFANners obviously have.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I would be surprised if this never has happened to a JW OST.

May have happened once or twice. "The Big Rescue" from SUPERMAN is a great cue that was not on the OST, but I don't NEED it, necessarily. The OST is perfectly fine without it. Then again, it could probably also have been inserted somewhere into the existing programme without creating too much havoc to the overall flow.