The Silence of the Lambs vs. Seven

John

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) vs. Seven (1995)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

• The Silence of the Lambs (directed by Jonathan Demme)
    • Seven (directed by David Fincher)
  2. 2. Which score do you prefer?

• The Silence of the Lambs (composed by Howard Shore)
    • Seven (composed by Howard Shore)

On 3/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, Loert said:

Hmm, perhaps I need to watch Silence of the Lambs again, I didn't find it that amazing. Se7en on the other hand is one of my favourite films ...

f20f8adb9b9dd664abf648d9b3377b24.jpg

Se7en feels and looks timeless ...

msdsiofec023h_a_l.jpg

... while Silence definitely shows its age.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:58 AM, Alexcremers said:

f20f8adb9b9dd664abf648d9b3377b24.jpg

Se7en feels and looks timeless ...

msdsiofec023h_a_l.jpg

... while Silence definitely shows its age.

Alex's most stupid comment in at least a day.

SILENCE is a classic. 

Se7en is the poor white trash wannabe 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Joe's most stupid comment in at least a day.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

SILENCE is a classic. 

So is Seven.

I wish people would discuss films they like or don't like here without telling each other their opinions are stupid or wrong

59 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

There’s no need to deride Se7en to uphold The Silence of the Lambs as the superior film.

I never deride Se7en to uphold Lambs. Unlike many here I find Se7en to be a marginal film. It pleasures in its excess without need. Its direction is slipshod at best. The plot is all over the place. While I do like Pitt he had not yet found homself as an actor (imho) and Spacey's serial killer was unsatisfy. God made me do it? You get more exposition in a verse from Leviticus. I do not see a masterpiece.

I won't fault Freeman or Paltrow. Alex is right to applaud the technical awards but that can be said about both horror films. 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, JoeinAR said:

Seven can't be white trash. It's got a black guy as a main character. 

31 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

Seven can't be white trash. It's got a black guy as a main character. 

Actually he's irish

You know why Silence Of The lambs scores so well here at JWFan? It could be a Star Trek movie. Just picture a clean prison cell and put the actors in different costumes. 

7450.jpg

"What I want is a view. I want a window where I can see a tree, or even water." 

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's all subjective.

If that were true then Uwe Boll is a terrific director.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's all in the eye of the beholder. You love the OT, somebody else prefers the Prequels. And so on, and so on. 

And the subjective truth is the prequels are better films. 

It's not subjective truth, it's called a personal opinion. That's why there are so many different ones. One man's trash is another man's treasure. 

Just now, Alexcremers said:

It's not subjective truth, it's called a personal opinion. That's why there are so many different ones. 

It is subjective truth. If some says that Uwe Boll is a great director and thats there opinion, its still wrong.

Anyone/everone has an opinion, that doesn't make it valid or justifiable.

Just now, JoeinAR said:

Anyone/everone has an opinion, that doesn't make it valid or justifiable.

Your opinion is not more valid than mine, and vice versa. What is true to you isn't necessarily true to me. Who is the best in movies isn't determined by a chronometer. 

• 1 year later...

Can anyone that's intimately familiar with the Lambs score identify the cue from 0:00-0:23? It doesn't show up in the track "Lecter In Memphis". Don't know if it's tracked from another cue or unreleased

Both good....

LAMBS is absolutely brilliant for the first three quarters- up thru the great scene where Lecter escapes. But, the last part is not so good.

SEVEN has an almost as  great villain , who makes a surprise late appearance , and a much MUCH better climax.

SEVEN wins!

On 3/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, The Big Man said:

I prefer Copycat.

I worked on that film!

On 3/8/2019 at 9:14 AM, #SnowyVernalSpringsEternal said:

I guess, though I always felt it overdid things a bit. The murders, the point John Doe tries to make, the urban decay, it's all pumped up for maximum effect. Silence feels...more natural. There's real sadness in it. It's less grotesque.

LAMBS is a pure thriller with an underlying feminist commentary, excellently put forth.

SEVEN has a much grander commentary on society as a whole... This makes it a more powerful experience for me.

I've owned both scores at one time.

I sold off both, but LAMB was a much better listen.

Seven is brillantly made. Marvellous camera work. But I found it in many ways too constructed. The whole story was to me something someone might write and the movie did its best to bring this construct to life. It is a little bit less bad as in Saw which was an even more over the top construct of madness of a screenplay writer to present cruelty for some weird way of entertainment for movie goers. 

Yes, Silens is also cruel and so one. What I think, why Silence wins is because somehow the audience could to a certain degree identify itself with the villain Hannibal Lecter. He was brillant but dangerous. He was pervert but also still seemed to have some kind of empathy. 

There was no brillat character like that in Seven.

And the murderer in Slience was a pathetic idiot, like in real life. 

No brillant mastermind like in Seven.

I thought the killer in 7 was almost as good as Lecter.

Not as scary, Lecter was genuinely terrifying, but unique and more complex. Lecter killed like an animal'- for food. SEVEN killer was more grandiose and philosophical.

It's amazing the two best serial killer films came out at almost the time time!

Weird that in LAMBS the main antagonist departs the scene for the last part of the film; while in SEVEN he doesn't appear until the last part of the film.

Btw IV

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I thought the killer in 7 was almost as good as Lecter.

Not as scary, Lecter was genuinely terrifying, but unique and more complex. Lecter killed like an animal'- for food. SEVEN killer was more grandiose and philosophical.

Neither of them were blokes you'd want to encounter, as your likelihood of survival around them is almost nought. Assessing which one out-scaries the other becomes rather pointless.

7 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Neither of them were blokes you'd want to encounter, as your likelihood of survival around them is almost nought. Assessing which one out-scaries the other becomes rather pointless.

Oh, I'd much rather be around #7.

So long as you haven't commited a deadly sin, you be cool!😅

Lecter will chomp your face if he's hungry😵

7 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Assessing which one out-scaries the other becomes rather pointless.

And, your point is?😉

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Poor Corellian bumped the thread a year later with a specific query, and people just carry on as if nothing happened.

We just don't want to admit we don't know and/or don't care.☺

17 hours ago, Thor said:

Poor Corellian bumped the thread a year later with a specific query, and people just carry on as if nothing happened.

I had anticipated not getting a response, but I couldn't find a thread that was dedicated to Silence of the Lambs :(