Batman Vs. Titanic  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

2. 2. Which score do you prefer?

• Batman - Danny Elfman
    • Titanic - James Horner

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Titanic for film. Batman for score.

Same here. But both films and scores absolutely brilliant.

Titanic is a great film, whereas Batman is too much influenced by the producers. The score of the latter is quite good and definitely better than Titanic. But it's very easy to make a better score than Titanic.

5 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Titanic will forever take the double raspberry for showing my 7-year old self that there might be some people in the world, who would expect me to die so others can live with no "but"s, no merit, no discussion---just because I'm male. 

A true manly man will give up his life to save women and children who are total strangers!

Hey more on topic, why hasn't the childstar Leo starred in a Batman film yet? Pretty pathetic resume.

wAXk35w.jpg

44 minutes ago, dougie said:

A true manly man will give up his life to save women and children who are total strangers!

A true man's man does this stuff:

joker4.gif

Honestly, Hollywood's manipulation of reality was the best invention since strudel. Probably their most beautiful version is when they can manipulate logic without the audience noticing, not until later, yielding a successful experience. I think every fiction movie I've ever seen has massive plot holes, usually in the form of "But nobody would ever do this shit."

:lol:

Every film must make whichever sort of 'fantasy world' sacrifice, in either theme or psychology, in order to create a flow and understandably new narrative. Or else you're just making a home movie.

Titanic is a very underrated film imo. But you had to understand it as a fantasy of psychology (such as personality and mood), where as Batman was a fantasy of theme. The former is a harder film to make because it's allowed to break less rules. Titanic found a golden zone among these rulesets imo, and sadly avoided this list by a mile. https://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Topped by Curse of the Black Pearl, Guardians of the Galaxy, Gran Torino, Jurassic Park, There Will Be Blood, The Big Lebowski. Yea if I'm going to attempt some form of rationalism, I would order them Titanic > Black Pearl > others. That's just me.

At least don't post anything related to rotten potatoes. We don't want bloodshed.

I've said it before: the concept of a period, "epic" romance film is not a succesful one in my mind. Titanic being a member of this genre and not being bad-to-middling is itself a great merit of the film.

That said, the use of the framing device is kind of horrible. I don't mind it at the top of the film: it establishes that the ship is going to drown, in accordance with Hitchock's definition of suspense (that being, the audience knowing something that the characters do not). But Cameron keeps using it as a source of narration, and there's a point in the film in which he cuts back to it, only to have Rose's audience acting as the surrogate of the actual audience, voicing their lack of patience, ostensibly asking: "and here comes the point where the boat sinks, right?"

It communicates a lack of confidence on Cameron's part in his story, and it saps the tension from the story for a while.

****1/2 out of *****

23 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Titanic is a great film, whereas Batman is too much influenced by the producers. The score of the latter is quite good and definitely better than Titanic. But it's very easy to make a better score than Titanic.

Yeah, it's called Braveheart.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, it's called Braveheart.

Ooh, another difficult choice. Very close race, but I'd probably pick BRAVEHEART too.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's less synthetic. ;)

Yeah, I'll never understand that criticism. It's 95% orchestral. The 'synth choir' and stuff is only a few places (and beautiful). But yeah -- we've been down that road before.

Besides, the 15 - 20 final minutes of the Braveheart OST are just grrreat!

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

Such a great score. Favourite cue will always be "Descent Into Mystery", though, even more than the brilliant theme.

Well, that's just a combo of Orff's Carmina Burana and the Batman theme. :)

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Such a great score. Favourite cue will always be "Descent Into Mystery", though, even more than the brilliant theme.

I love listening to that, on a drive home. I time it, so that I pull into my parking space, just and the last four "hits" play.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

While driving?

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Figuratively driving.

Literally driving, but figuratively jerking-off.

5 minutes ago, dougie said:

Titanic has better dynamic range.

Yes, it does. BATMAN sounds...cramped, shut in, small.