Petiton: Request JW to write Opera

I just came across this cool, but kind of odd petition. Regardless, would be pretty epic to see JW write an opera. I didn't really like his musical, but an opera? I bet it would be awesome. I would also love to hear his song cycle, which I have only heard the voice/ piano reduction, but it's very nice.

http://chng.it/gwKXhZFbSp

Wouldn't work!!  He has the talent to do this but would feel little a bit forced. I just played La Boheme but hated it, so fake and happy, I hate the vibrato especially by the females. John is an honest musician for the silver screen and the stage, not for this. 

From The Guardian, Feb 3, 2002 (the article is mainly about the release of the album American Journey): 

"Placido Domingo has asked Williams to write a work for the Los Angeles Opera. Surely this will be an irresistible opportunity to test a new musical muscle? He is oddly cool about the project. 'It would take a couple of years and I'm not sure whether I will have the time, but I might do it. It'll depend on the subject and how I feel about the libretto he is preparing. Even if I do say yes, I would do it with a sense of reticence in that I'm not a theatre person or particularly a vocal composer.' "

But of course, we know he did not do it. I also vaguely recall hearing him say he would not do an opera somewhere else due to the time needed. 

1.. An opera would be nice (and I also happen to like Thomas and the King but that's just me) but if Williams feels he's not up to it then I respect and accept that.

2. The petitioner seems to think that not writing an opera is all that's stopping Williams from achieving "true greatness", as if the Maestro isn't already truly great. J.S. Bach never wrote an opera and it never hurt his reputation. Bach did come close with the one-off "Coffee Cantata" but that's his "Thomas and the King"

3. The petition only needs 100 signatures. I figure it'll take a lot more than that to convince Mr Williams to "operate."

4. Reading the petition I get a sense this project is borne more out of fanboy desire to please the fanboy.

5. I take it someone used the word "gay" in its proper context and meaning and someone else was offended?

Cheers.

I'd love for Williams to write an opera.  I'm happy for Williams to write anything he wants to, or not write anything at all if he wants to do that.  Petitioning John Williams to do ANYTHING seems like an odd move to me.  He's done plenty.  Let's let him do as he sees fit.

Well I think that as wonderful as it would be to have Williams write an opera I doubt that he would be very interested in it at this point. He would have done it if he had an inclination or passion for it. As the above post with the quote concerning the Placido Domingo's opera commission that never came to fruition, Williams as he says in his eternal modesty doesn't feel up to the vocal compositional challenge for a full fledged opera.