Taking a John Williams break now and then...

Thor

Presumably, this topic has been done before, so feel free to merge if that's the case.

I was curious if some of you take periodical breaks from listening to John Williams; breaks that last over a substantial amount of time?

I just realized I haven't really listened to a JW album since last year. Mostly because there's so much else in my collection I want to dedicate time to (and a lot of stuff keep coming in). Just as I can take long breaks from listening to film music, so too I have it with JW within film music.

My bluetooth's suddenly sounding all static-y and muffled, so no music for me for awhile.

I've gone several months without hearing any John Williams. Powell, on the other hand, I rarely go more than a month without his music.

Binging podcasts lately so I haven't really been listening to much music in general. Film music-ed myself out for a little while after gorging on the Harry Potter set in December, though I made time for HTTYD 3.

But sure, I have sabbaticals. Like, of course. That said I have some random fragment of John Williams music stuck in my head pretty much weekly.

7 hours ago, hornist said:

Why to take any breaks? JW is the only composer I am interested in and there is so much to explore. Generally I hate film music and been playing too many years in the orchestras so never listen to classical music at home. 

Ever go beyond the orchestral realm? It's my belief that many of the strongest  composers you'll find are outside those circles, and that this will only increase as time continues. 

I have not been listening to too many soundtracks recently.  Just music in movies themselves, some classical (including the new Trumpet Concerto recording), and some pop and rock.

22 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Ever go beyond the orchestral realm? It's my belief that many of the strongest  composers you'll find are outside those circles, and that this will only increase as time continues. 

Of course you do. ;)

I have taken breaks. Not really intentionally, more from going through phases where other composers and musicians took my fancy. When I have listened to Williams after a bit of a break, his music sounded all the more sweeter. I'm also on the intermittent fasting bandwagon (lost 17 kilograms since June last year), It's the same feeling. When I eat for the first time in say 20 hours, I really enjoy that meal!

It's certainly been hard to take a break recently with all the expansions of late - yes, I know they're not really your thing^. Plus, I had today's concert in Seoul to look forward to, so the idea of taking a break in recent weeks and months just didn't enter my mind. There are quite a few favorite composers and scores I haven't listened to in ages. They might call to me sooner or later. 

I don't typically take intentional breaks, but I'll sometimes end up going through a period where I don't listen to as much music, or as much of a specific composer, including Williams. It's always such a blast to rediscover this stuff when your brain has had a chance to de-acclimate to listening to it all the time.

19 hours ago, hornist said:

Why to take any breaks? JW is the only composer I am interested in and there is so much to explore. Generally I hate film music and been playing too many years in the orchestras so never listen to classical music at home. 

I feel the same about classical music. I play it at work so why would I listen to it. Especially that my orchestra is small. We won’t be playing Mahler and Strauss anytime soon...might as well listen to JW.

6 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

I feel the same about classical music. I play it at work so why would I listen to it. Especially that my orchestra is small. We won’t be playing Mahler and Strauss anytime soon...might as well listen to JW.

Mahler and Strauss aren't bad! ;)

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Mahler and Strauss aren't bad! ;)

That’s good way to describe it 😃

I wish we played more of it here. I think Mahler 4 is up in a few months. But it’s the smallest one.

2 hours ago, dougie said:

I'm on a break from sound.

Wish I could. I used to love complete silence. Alas, with the severe tinnitus I have, it's near-impossible these days. I need some kind of sound in the background during all waking hours (heck, even sleeping hours).

But I often need long breaks from film music, or orchestral music. Over the last few years, I've played more electronic music and pop/rock-infused things. I would go absolutely nuts if I only listened to orchestral film music, or film music in general

The Williams breaks are good too. As others have said, makes it all the more 'fresh' and 'exciting' when I decide to return.

I would go crazy if I have to listen to rock or pop music. Or rap😱 I also enjoy silence very much, I'm very lucky to live in a place where it is possible. And I'm glad the birds are starting their symphony. It is the best music. 

I take a break from music from time to time but never from John Williams' music exclusively. I usually just switch from his film music to his concert music and back if I need a stylistic palate cleanser. I find myself taking these music breaks more frequently these days when I prefer a TV show or something else in the background over music when I am working on something at home. But I do listen to quite a bit of music while I am at work when the work allows.

A sort of related thing -- and less about JW breaks generally -- is the relationship I have to particular scores within JW's oeuvre.

For example, I make sure I don't play JURASSIC PARK that often. It's my favourite score and soundtrack album of all time, I played the cassette to death in the 90s, and then the CD for some time afterwards. It's really the only soundtrack I know that much by heart when I listen to it, always being in front of the music in my head. So I make sure I save it for the occasional, special moment these days.

@Fabulin

So you like only blockbuster scores? 🙄

The non-blockbuster scores are the better ones in many cases... 

3 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

That’s good way to describe it 😃

I wish we played more of it here. I think Mahler 4 is up in a few months. But it’s the smallest one.

We also gonna play Mahler's 4 soon, I never played that. The other symphonies by Mahler perhaps over 100 times😱😱😱 

I've been on a years-long Shore/Middle Earth break - I really tend to wear those out.

I might give certain scores or series a break, but I've never had the situation where I stopped a composer entirely, and especially not Williams.  I could be tired of Star Wars stuff but still throw on, like, Stepmom or Heartbeeps or War of the Worlds.

34 minutes ago, hornist said:

@Fabulin

So you like only blockbuster scores? 🙄

The non-blockbuster scores are the better ones in many cases... 

We also gonna play Mahler's 4 soon, I never played that. The other symphonies by Mahler perhaps over 100 times😱😱😱 

I didn’t realize you played the horn professionally! Which composers do you prefer to perform? Which ones would you say don’t write for the horn particularly well (if any)? (I’ve always been curious about who writes well for each instrument)

On 3/18/2019 at 10:50 AM, Iron_Giant said:

Which composers do you prefer to perform? 

John Williams, JS Bach, Mahler...beautiful trumpet writing.

All the time. I've been on a film music break for a few months now. I'd go crazy if Williams was all I listened to, just as with any one musician/composer.

Of course, these days I don't feel that attracted to Williams's music. I prefer more original, individual and inventive composers over him. Newman for instance, I feel far more attracted to and close to. There hasn't gone by a month where I don't listen to any of Newman's music, but there have gone months where I don't listen to Williams. Too much of Williams music is way too bombastic for my taste. My taste in music is generally more alternative, experimental... ambient music. Almost the opposite from the stuff Williams usually does.  And when I listen to Williams, I easily prefer things that aren't any of the Star Warses or E.T. Close Encounters and A.I. are my two favourite JW scores.

I believe @Lewya is referring to Thomas Newman, who he has expressed praise for in the past. I wouldn't pit Williams against Newman, but the latter is still a very good composer and is in my top ten. Between Finding Nemo, Finding Dory, Bridge of Spies, Saving Mr. Banks, and the Shawshank Redemption, I can say with ease that Newman has a very recognizable musical voice, and a very likeable one at that.

Yes, I don't like Alfred Newman's music much - I said more original and individual - not more late romantics. Oh, I prefer T. Newman almost any day over Williams. 

On 3/17/2019 at 2:59 AM, Stefancos said:

A break? Sure. There are times when I don't listen to Williams much at all.

Indeed, I have enough film music where it may be weeks before I listen to anything Williams related.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Korngold is indeed great!

Btw, I wouldn't say T. Newman's more original than JW. :)

Thomas Newman is so unoriginal, his last name was already taken by David, Randy and Alfred!

If the question is kind of like 'do you ever listen to any film music aside from Williams?', then yes, I do. I have plenty of scores that aren't Williams that I like to listen to, so it can be a bit of time (but never too long) between listening to Williams albums.

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

If the question is kind of like 'do you ever listen to any film music aside from Williams?', then yes, I do. I have plenty of scores that aren't Williams that I like to listen to, so it can be a bit of time (but never too long) between listening to Williams albums.

You traitor!