Taking a John Williams break now and then...

Thor

37 minutes ago, Holko said:

The Vikings Have Their Tea?

But the title has nothing to do with the film

It refers to the chamber music style of the arrangement with the string solos IIRC

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, Thor said:

A sort of related thing -- and less about JW breaks generally -- is the relationship I have to particular scores within JW's oeuvre.

For example, I make sure I don't play JURASSIC PARK that often. It's my favourite score and soundtrack album of all time, I played the cassette to death in the 90s, and then the CD for some time afterwards. It's really the only soundtrack I know that much by heart when I listen to it, always being in front of the music in my head. So I make sure I save it for the occasional, special moment these days.

That's a score where the expanded edition is quite redundant. The OST really is perfection!

I don’t think there’s anything in life that doesn’t benefit from a good break every now and again.

well, except breathing and stuff.

I haven't listened to JW in quite some time, although I've caught the NBC News music on the telly and also watched some movies featuring JW music. Actually, I don't think I've listened to a film score on its own since last year.

I merely don't love John Williams as much as other composers simply because he didn't do much horror and he never did a cartoon. Sorry, mister Williams, if you want to get in good with Severin, you gotta be either a horror guy or a cartoon guy! 

18 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I merely don't love John Williams as much as other composers simply because he didn't do much horror and he never did a cartoon. Sorry, mister Williams, if you want to get in good with Severin, you gotta be either a horror guy or a cartoon guy! 

Tintin? Mr. DNA? Dear Basketball?

36 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

This

And they are banning me here from this forum and this shit is allowed... 

9 hours ago, hornist said:

This

And they are banning me here from this forum and this shit is allowed... 

John Williams is a gateway drug to exploring the works of other, more interesting film composers.

• 2 weeks later...

I often take breaks from Williams out of necessity. As I delve deeper into my own career as a composer I find a troubling situation where I can’t listen to any other composers because of my own deep-seeded bias towards his incredible music and awe at his enormous abilities. And as a result, my own music can be derivative in the extreme. I find it difficult to listen to film music in general as the moods and colours and emotions change so frequently and it can be mentally exhausting. As a music teacher and composer I am so inundated with music all the time that I often turn to silence, but that can be very lonely. I’ve actively been seeking to find music that has a very different function for my life, mainly background stuff as I do the housework, read etc.

TLDR: mind is too noisy. Williams doesn’t help. Breaks are good.

Threads like this are based on a premise that most people here just listen to JW most of the time.

Even considering the name of the site, I suspect this not to be the case :)

I tend to go for a JW session if I need a little mood boost with something iconic, but otherwise anything goes.

On 4/11/2019 at 3:50 AM, Docteur Qui said:

I often take breaks from Williams out of necessity. As I delve deeper into my own career as a composer I find a troubling situation where I can’t listen to any other composers because of my own deep-seeded bias towards his incredible music and awe at his enormous abilities. And as a result, my own music can be derivative in the extreme. I find it difficult to listen to film music in general as the moods and colours and emotions change so frequently and it can be mentally exhausting. As a music teacher and composer I am so inundated with music all the time that I often turn to silence, but that can be very lonely. I’ve actively been seeking to find music that has a very different function for my life, mainly background stuff as I do the housework, read etc.

TLDR: mind is too noisy. Williams doesn’t help. Breaks are good.

My existential advice to you is to have more fun. Don't make it so much about you, but about what you can try and find your own sound, and truly feel the blessing of just creating. Because that's honestly what John Williams does, he said it in several interviews: He lets go and he has fun, it's how he's able to be so creative.

(He also steals a lot of great stuff from older composers and builds it into catchier themes! You can always do that. A lot of composers don't because they're too lazy to "study" 😃 they'd rather compose deductively rather than inductively. That's why I think the majority of film music sounds like it was written by 2nd graders.) “Good composers borrow. Great ones steal.” -Igor Stravinsky. This gives you more ideas, or area, to build off of for new ideas, similar to how some countries are the same size but some have larger sharing borders. This is how programmers program, and how poets and novelists craft.

Fear not expansion, for it's not about you, it's simply a journey you go on for the day. I think Williams would agree artistically with that. You don't need to know what you're doing, you just need to do, and in the end you can say "How cool it was to craft something beautifully-similar but overall newer." Overall, you should make it all about fun, and to recraft things in new ways that you want to see them, or show others.

Think of all the composers' variations on older composers. Learning is your adventure, but it's just that: an adventure where you're simply visiting one place at a time. Don't make it into a big thing, don't make it about you. You aren't the special tool you're looking for that needs to be finely sharpened and crafted before using. The special tools are all the other composers and your passion to direct them to your own special vision for the day.

This is also a really interesting concept overall, because we start wondering "We don't need to paint with notes. We can start painting with composers--it is, afterall still just paint, and can be washed-over, blended." "Any note I put to paper, a composer has already written it anyway." I think we just need to expand our ambitions like Wagner did and not be afraid to have fun. Williams does this so much during a day that his final composition ends up sounding completely unique. This is something you might not hear from a lot of people, but hopefully it can direct you to greater truth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 8:46 PM, Thor said:

I only listen to whole albums. Skipping tracks is a major sin.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, Quintus said:

Nah, vehemently and pointlessly rallying against complete score releases is far more nefarious. 

Fight! Fight! Fight!

NimbleRegularKouprey-max-1mb.gif

Nah. I'll wear 'nefarious' as a badge of honour. :D

By the way, I came out of my Williams 'break' a few days ago, when I listened to the sinfonietta for wind ensemble again (per my ressurection of that thread recently). It had then been close to 6 months since I listened to any Williams.