What's your favourite McNeely-conducted re-recordings?

Jurassic Shark

Is there a list somewhere, of these rerecordings?

Unlike most people, I'm quite fond of his CITIZEN KANE rerecording. It's the only album of that particular score I have, and will probably ever have.

I don't like his PSYCHO; Elfman blows it out of the water.

21 hours ago, Thor said:

Unlike most people, I'm quite fond of his CITIZEN KANE rerecording. It's the only album of that particular score I have, and will probably ever have.

I find that rerecording a bit uneven, probably because it was recorded in bits and pieces in connection with other sessions. It's probably not for me anyway, since I find the Gerhardt extracts quite sufficient.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:10 AM, publicist said:

Vertigo!

Indeed.

Is this the point where I cautiously sneak in and admit I've never been a fan of VERTIGO, neither film nor score (in any recording)? Yes, sacrilege, I know. But there you go.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Is this the point where I cautiously sneak in and admit I've never been a fan of VERTIGO, neither film nor score (in any recording)? Yes, sacrilege, I know. But there you go.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not a fan of the whole score either. A suite is sufficient for me.

In regards to Herrmann, I must admit I rarely enjoy his music in C&C or other long presentations, with some exceptions. Not really sure why, as I generally prefer most other film composers' works in complete form. His music is however terrific in the films themselves, needless to say. 

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Vertigo. There is nothing else coming close. It's one of my very favourite film score albums.

Karol

Great sound quality on that one. 

4 hours ago, JJA said:

In regards to Herrmann, I must admit I rarely enjoy his music in C&C or other long presentations, with some exceptions. Not really sure why, as I generally prefer most other film composers' works in complete form. His music is however terrific in the films themselves, needless to say. 

Vertigo is one such exception. The short motivic cells Herrmann often employed - making him one of the first 'minimalist' composers - do not lend themselves to lush deluxe treatments of a Rózsa score or other of his peers (though they often work wonders in the movies).