Hans Zimmer's DUNE (2021)

antovolk

27 minutes ago, Knox Harrington said:

The only sensible choice really.  Now fully interested in this production although the lead is totally devoid of personality in everything I've seen. 

I’m not the only one who feels the same! The actor’s equivalent of a slice of white bread. 

19 minutes ago, Lewya said:

Zimmer.

Hopefully it won't be another horrible Dunkirk score. His Blade Runner score was just OK. The most recent Zimmer score I really liked was Inception. Not a big fan of Zimmer at all though.

Interstellar is brilliant!

If he's fully committed to the project, I'm sure he can produce something worthwhile. I'm just worried Nolan's next movie might take too much of his time and this ends up being another RC production with 11 composers

3 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

The only thing I remember about the original movie is the graboids from Tremors making some kind of cameo.

Shai-halud. 

Not surprised at all. And given the litter to work with, probably makes the most sense. Still, one can dream what it might have been...

It'll probably be Zimmer with Wallfisch and co. 

And what do people have against Chalamet? He's great.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

If he's fully committed to the project, I'm sure he can produce something worthwhile. I'm just worried Nolan's next movie might take too much of his time and this ends up being another RC production with 11 composers

Yup. Zimmer, when 100% invested, produces substantial stuff. But that is sadly a rarity these days. 

2 hours ago, Lewya said:

Boring pick.

Isaac, Zimmer, Batista, Villeneuve, ... where are the surprises? The outside the box thinking?

I reckon he would have done BR2049 solo for the same reasons if it hadn't been such a timecrunch, but even there you can hear his passion for the material.  This is promising.

He hasn't done anything worthwile in recent years. If done right, 'Dune' could be a magnum opus - it's Sci-Fi's Star Wars - so i hope this isn't an underachiever like BR2049 (note i don't say 'his' magnum opus, as it is an impossibility that the slaves will not end up doing a big chunk of this).

If he says it's "pure me," does that still imply the involvement of RC drone work? Pure "him" would suggest... just him.

What was the last score that he did solely by himself (save the typical orchestration work)? Was Inception one?

2 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

If he says it's "pure me," does that still imply the involvement of RC drone work? Pure "him" would suggest... just him.

What was the last score that he did solely by himself (save the typical orchestration work)? Was Inception one?

Interstellar. 

1 minute ago, Iron_Giant said:

INTERSTELLAR and DUNKIRK, as far as I know. He tends to always go 'solo' for Nolan. RUSH. WIDOWS from last year (underwhelming, but solo). I'm sure there are plenty more.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

INTERSTELLAR and DUNKIRK, as far as I know. He tends to always go 'solo' for Nolan. RUSH. WIDOWS from last year (underwhelming, but solo). I'm sure there are plenty more.

Neat. I thought Wallfisch helped out on Dunkirk, though -- including the most interesting part of the score (that being the Enigma Variation adaptation).

1 hour ago, Iron_Giant said:

Neat. I thought Wallfisch helped out on Dunkirk, though -- including the most interesting part of the score (that being the Enigma Variation adaptation).

That's true. Forgot about that. The beautiful Elgar-in-the-style-of-Vangelis track.

2 hours ago, Iron_Giant said:

Wallfisch and Lorne Balfe were additional composers for DUNKIRK, with Hans spearheading the group.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

If done right, 'Dune' could be a magnum opus - it's Sci-Fi's Star Wars 

Isn't Star Wars sci-fi's Star Wars?

3 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That's an oxymoron.

Alright, alright. I know I have said a couple of things about Zimmer and co. before, but can we give the fellow a bit of a break perhaps? Zimmer has done solo scores before (i.e. Interstellar, one of his best IMO). I am really looking forward to this next project and am eager to hear how Hans approaches Villneuve's film.

8 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Alright, alright. I know I have said a couple of things about Zimmer and co. before, but can we give the fellow a bit of a break perhaps? Zimmer has done solo scores before (i.e. Interstellar, one of his best IMO). I am really looking forward to this next project and am eager to hear how Hans approaches Villneuve's film.

Just going by what the record shows. I looked at his page at filmtracks.

http://www.filmtracks.com/composers/zimmer.shtml

There are 99 co-wrote credits there. 99.

1 hour ago, Knox Harrington said:

Who would have been a more interesting, fitting, and most importantly, realistic choice in your estimation?

Elderly Toto! Get Joseph Williams to reprise the Dex's Diner source music!

1 hour ago, Knox Harrington said:

Who would have been a more interesting, fitting, and most importantly, realistic choice in your estimation?

I'm glad Zimmer is apparently doing this one, but non-Balls-To-The-Wall-Orchestra Ryuichi Sakamoto would kick serious ass.