Peoples 10 favourite movies from all of the decades!

Quintus

57 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

(notice how each and every one of them has a great score? 😮 I guess it is a mandatory criterion for me having fun and only from among such movies are the favourties chosen. What a curious thing I learned today)

Mb though, you have score bias on some of them from them being your favorite films? ie. not being able to hear the music purely but you hear your memories of the movie, reinterpreting the music as good because the movie was so great.

For me at least it's usually 'great score, not so great movie,' or visa versa. Except for Star Wars and Disney movies which were pretty much all score/emotions anyway, that register of 'cryptic beauty.'

50 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I see a certain amusing undertone to your comment. Tell me, was Mozart secretly bad and I liked his music only because Milos Forman's film is very good?

Maybe actually. if you open your mind enough/smoke enough weed, you will see the fraud of Mozart and its traditional elitism stuffing up every room. It's all about Ravel and Stravinsky!

What I'm saying is, I guess it's a matter of perspective of how you interpret something as good and bad. In soundtrack for instance, interpretation of music is usually based on (a) what you're used to hearing, and (b) the movie footage itself. Not an objective human measure. Like the many civilizations that never adhered to the 12 tone scale and historical documents show many of them found it to be awkward-sounding and uncomfortable. In a similar sense, movie culture can heavily influence one's musical taste, where you prefer scores and sounds more due to their symbolic associations rather than some purely internal reason. Many automatically love the scores of their favorite films regardless of sheer quality, in-so-much as kids love the culture and bands they grew up with, even though they make my ears medically bleed. But I digress.

29 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

But my earlies major influences---Tchaikovsky and Elfman---came without any especially likeable context.

How about internal context? In that sense I could understand. As I listen more to music than I do watch movies/operas, I tend to subconsciously give much internal, imaginary context to everything I hear, in the form of some Jungian ideal of what it means to me. It's the major reason why I love certain composers... oddly they one day reminded me of some real yet ethereal association, colored with personal visions and emotions, which without a doubt, probably never occurred to them.

Thank you, @Koray Savas

Ooh, er. Yes, I've just realized that there's three Soderberg's on my list. Ho, hum.

SOLARIS is...well, I think its beautiful, while 12 is my favourite OCEAN'S film -not the best, that's 11, but my favourite (with a killer soundtrack!).

TRAFFIC is, simply, the best damned film I've seen, this century. End of.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

2010s:

2010: THE ROAD

2011: LE QUATTRO VOLTE

2012: PROMETHEUS

2013: GRAVITY

2014: LUCY

2015: EX MACHINA

2016: THE REVENANT

2017: ELLE

2018: THE POST

2019: THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT (So far. The year is still young, though)

Wait, are we talking about personal favourites or objectively best movies?

5 hours ago, Richard said:

TRAFFIC is, simply, the best damned film I've seen, this century. End of.

The lack of consequence in that movie is too goddamn disturbing to make it a perfect film.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

How can one assess best movies 'objectively'? Lists like this are by definition subjective.

Depend on everyone's competence to rate movies objectively.

1980s

Amadeus (Milos Forman)

Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis)

Blade Runner (Ridley Scott)

Come and See (Elem Klimov)

Die Hard (John McTiernan)

Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee)

Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman)

Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick)

Gregory's Girl (Bill Forsythe)

Hannah and Her Sisters (Woody Allen)

Heaven's Gate (Michael Cimino)

The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese)

Midnight Run (Martin Brest)

Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg)

Ran (Akira Kurosawa)

The Shining (Stanley Kubrick)

A Short Film about Killing (Krzysztof Kieslowski)

This Is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner)

The Verdict (Sidney Lumet)

1 hour ago, John said:

Objectively, There Will Be Blood is the single greatest filmmaking achievement of the 21th century. And so is Mulholland Drive

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

good that we agree

The outbreak of consensus here is very comforting!

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

To really do it we would need a system including all possible categories of achievement in filmmaking. Then we would need scales for these achievements. Then we would need to agree what sort of comparisons or mathematical formulas would express most precisely the tangible phenomena of quality in the crafts. It would take a consummate genius filmmaker a couple of years of hard work, including quasi-experimental research, to even have a prototype of a frame of reference for such comparisons. I do not say it is impossible, but... I do not care about cinema that much to go down this road. Do you?

Until then, what we have are intuitive judgements very prone to oversight, because the sheer amount of data without frames of reference is nigh impossible to navigate quickly.

It doesn't work that way. Any mathematical formulas would lead to ridiculous results. A distanced and neutral, yet intuitive and participant, perspective based on comprehensive knowledge about movies is the only way to rate properly. Nostalgia, prejudices and too much knowledge about irrelevant context just harm a balanced perspective.

Right. Here we go: the 70s-a personal selection

ROLLERBALL,

THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123,

THE TOWERING INFERNO,

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND,

DOG DAY AFTERNOON,

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE,

SUPERMAN,

NETWORK,

THE GODFATHER PART II.

12 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Can I just list my top five favorite movies and be done with it?

No...although I also love ALLEGRO NON TROPPO (and FANTASTIC PLANET, if anyone's interested).

In fact, as I'm liking this so much, here's my alternate 70s selection:

DAY FOR NIGHT,

THE HINDENBURG,

JULIA,

THE OMEN,

THE FORBIN PROJECT,

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES,

THE ELECTRIC HORSEMAN,

APOCALYPSE NOW,

DEMON SEED,

A STAR IS BORN.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

How can one assess best movies 'objectively'? Lists like this are by definition subjective.

Because assessing my favorite movies is my objective, and I seek to carry out that objective objectively!

3 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

1980s

Amadeus (Milos Forman)

Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis)

Blade Runner (Ridley Scott)

Come and See (Elem Klimov)

Die Hard (John McTiernan)

Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee)

Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman)

Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick)

Gregory's Girl (Bill Forsythe)

Hannah and Her Sisters (Woody Allen)

Heaven's Gate (Michael Cimino)

The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese)

Midnight Run (Martin Brest)

Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg)

Ran (Akira Kurosawa)

The Shining (Stanley Kubrick)

A Short Film about Killing (Krzysztof Kieslowski)

This Is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner)

The Verdict (Sidney Lumet)

Agreed on Blade Runner. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Also the further you get from a decade the harder the it is to remember them all. Its easy to remember the ones that are considered classics but that's just a small percentage of the overall number of films many which are great but have far less publicity

Gonna give the next decade a go, then. Problem now (and from now on, really) is that I have to use Wikipedia's 'film by year' lists, and they tend to include mostly US/Hollywood films. So I'll no doubt forget some gems in the more alternative realm.

2000s:

2000: GLADIATOR

2001: A.I. - ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

2002: LILJA 4-EVER

2003: THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

2004: THE GRUDGE

2005: MUNICH

2006: CHILDREN OF MEN

2007: THE MIST

2008: WALL-E

2009: AVATAR and INGLORIOUS BASTERDS (shared spot)

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He's foreign, it happens. Its impolite to point it out though.

I want to be improved, when I make a (considerable) fault. Why should I unconciously continue writing the same shit again while all the rest has a hard time deciphering my hieroglyphs?

1970s

Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola)
Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick)
Death in Venice (Luchino Visconti)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel)
Dog Day Afternoon (Sidney Lumet)
Don't Look Now (Nicholas Roeg)
The Godfather, Part II (Francis Ford Coppola)
Jaws (Steven Spielberg)
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman)
La Maman et la putain (Jean Eustache)
Manhattan (Woody Allen)
MASH (Robert Altman)
Mean Streets (Martin Scorsese)
Monty Python's Life of Brian (Terry Jones)
Nashville (Robert Altman)
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Peter Weir)
Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese)
The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy)
A Woman under the Influence (John Cassavetes)

You work quickly, Gloin. Do you have all these favourites handy? I need at least 30-45 minutes worth of research before posting about a decade, and after that I'm still not certain that I haven't overlooked some favourites.

I'd guess that it's a lot easier for me because I haven't seen nearly as many films as you have. I do have a fairly complete list of the 21st Century films that I've seen, and a less thorough one for the 1990s. For the earlier decades, I'm more reliant on memory and scanning the DVD cupboard. Can't be sure I haven't missed some things, but I don't mean my lists to be definitive and unchangeable...

54 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Can't be sure I haven't missed some things, but I don't mean my lists to be definitive and unchangeable...

Yes, that's the most important thing.

I remember when we did the 'best scores per year of all film history' thread (which also required HOURS of research on my end), I somehow managed to forget WATERWORLD for 1995 (such a strong year) -- even if it's in my alltime top 10 list. So always keep a list open to continous changes!

I think I'll delve into the 90s tonight. I'll be back soon.

OK, so the 90s -- the decade of my formative years.

1990s:

1990: EDWARD SCISSORHANDS
1991: THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and TERMINATOR 2 (shared spot, sorry)
1992: ALIEN 3
1993: JURASSIC PARK and SCHINDLER'S LIST (shared spot, sorry)
1994: SPEED
1995: HEAT
1996: THE ROCK
1997: TITANIC
1998: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
1999: THE MATRIX

Crikey! I'm kinda flabbergasted that they're all big Hollywood films. I really wanted to include brilliant non-Hollywood films like Kieslowski's colour trilogy, CLOSE-UP, FUCKING ÅMÅL, BENNY'S VIDEO, SATANTANGO, FESTEN, THE PIANO, THE ICE STORM, ETERNITY AND A DAY, FUNNY GAMES, EXOTICA, THE REMAINS OF THE DAY, DELICATESSEN, ONLY YESTERDAY, A MOMENT OF INNOCENCE; or a whole bunch of other, great Hollywood films; or quite a few genre films that are very dear to my heart (like EVENT HORIZON), but when all is said and done, and all judgements are made, I put the above films higher in every single instance. The important thing is to be honest, I guess, not to pretend to be all 'artsy fartsy'.

I think this will be also very much the case for the 80s (unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on viewpoint).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Crikey! I'm kinda flabbergasted that they're all big Hollywood films. I really wanted to include brilliant non-Hollywood films like Kieslowski's colour trilogy, CLOSE-UP, FUCKING ÅMÅL, BENNY'S VIDEO, SATANTANGO, FESTEN, THE PIANO, THE ICE STORM, ETERNITY AND A DAY, FUNNY GAMES, EXOTICA, THE REMAINS OF THE DAY, DELICATESSEN, ONLY YESTERDAY, A MOMENT OF INNOCENCE; or a whole bunch of other, great Hollywood films; or quite a few genre films that are very dear to my heart (like EVENT HORIZON), but when all is said and done, and all judgements are made, I put the above films higher in every single instance. The important thing is to be honest, I guess, not to pretend to be all 'artsy fartsy'.

I think this will be also very much the case for the 80s (unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on viewpoint).

Have you seen the other two movies of the Haneke Tetralogy?