Peoples 10 favourite movies from all of the decades!

Quintus

I think it’s a style exercise, basically. A very well done one, but not much more. As opposed to something like Prometheus (since you brought that up) where there’s meaningful firepower in every stylistic choice.

Don’t get me wrong, I think LA Confidential is a fine film, just not on the level you seem to place it.

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

I assume you know the film well and still disagree?

I didn't even realize this existed. Cannot recall ever seeing it or hearing anything about it at any point. I suppose it's roaming in the shadow of its predecessor then.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:39 AM, Thor said:

There's really no point in delineating very much. A favourite film is a film you consider great. If that sentiment is not shared by the established majority otherwise, well then you're free to call it underrated. Vice versa, you're free to dislike a film that is generally considered 'great' and call it overrated. Ultimately, it's all subjective. Unless you're charting film history through established classics, but where's the fun in that? Draws all personality out of it.

Yes. This is what the terms underrated and overrated mean, but they are mostly disrespectful terms, since they imply someone else has the wrong opinion.

I'm guessing people calling something "the best movie," as in, they appreciate it but it's not their favorite movie, are trying to achieve some kind of blurry middle ground between "it's loved by some school of thought," and, "I actually like that thought." It's mostly a pointless, dishonest exercise. The highest acclaimed movies like The Godfather or Shawshank Redemption I'd never say I think are the best films. I can only say 'Some aspects within the films are simply more accessible to people and these people have contributed to my appreciation of them whether good or bad, but I still rate them according to my own opinion.'

On 3/26/2019 at 6:26 PM, Brundlefly said:

And I'm patiently waiting for a decent box set on the German market, having merely seen Funny Games. Every fucking country has a fucking Michael Haneke collection except we art idiots!

I've seen Cache, Funny Games U.S., The White Ribbon, Amour, The Piano Teacher, Time Of The Wolf. I haven't seen his very early ones. 

2000s are probably my favorite decade for film.

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

No Country For Old Men

The Fountain

Road To Perdition

The Royal Tenenbaums

Zodiac

Memento

Inglourious Basterds

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The New World

Honorable mentions to: High Fidelity, Sin City, Babel, The Pianist, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Garden State, Man On Fire, I'm Not There, Tropic Thunder, Ratatouille, (500) Days Of Summer, Funny Games, The Brothers Bloom, Moon, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Revolutionary Road, Panic Room, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Almost Famous, Michael Clayton, Kill Bill, Big Trouble, Collateral, The Departed, Pan's Labyrinth, Munich, The Weather Man, Master And Commander, Match Point...

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No Country For Old Men

The Fountain

Road To Perdition

The Royal Tenenbaums

Zodiac

Memento

Inglourious Basterds

The New World

Honorable mentions to: High Fidelity, Sin City, Babel, The Pianist, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Garden State, Man On Fire, I'm Not There, Tropic Thunder, Ratatouille, (500) Days Of Summer, Funny Games, The Brothers Bloom, Moon, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Revolutionary Road, Panic Room, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Almost Famous, Michael Clayton, Kill Bill, Big Trouble, Collateral, The Departed, Pan's Labyrinth, Munich, The Weather Man, Master And Commander, Match Point...

Oh my God what a pile of shit

17 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No Country For Old Men

The Fountain

Road To Perdition

The Royal Tenenbaums

Zodiac

Memento

Inglourious Basterds

The New World

Honorable mentions to: High Fidelity, Sin City, Babel, The Pianist, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Garden State, Man On Fire, I'm Not There, Tropic Thunder, Ratatouille, (500) Days Of Summer, Funny Games, The Brothers Bloom, Moon, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Revolutionary Road, Panic Room, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Almost Famous, Michael Clayton, Kill Bill, Big Trouble, Collateral, The Departed, Pan's Labyrinth, Munich, The Weather Man, Master And Commander, Match Point...

No LOTR?

I like Sam Mendes but Koray manages to select the one movie of his that I hate. Road To Perdition doesn't even feel like a Mendes movie. 

39 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I like Sam Mendes but Koray manages to select the one movie of his that I hate. Road To Perdition doesn't even feel like a Mendes movie. 

You hate it though? I put Revolutionary Road in the honorable mentions!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

No LOTR?

I like them fine but I’ve never been big on the franchise. 

So, the decade of my birth and baby years....

The 1970s:

1970: FIVE EASY PIECES
1971: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and GET CARTER (shared spot, sorry)
1972: IMAGES
1973: THE EXORCIST
1974: THE CONVERSATION
1975: JAWS, THE PASSENGER and BARRY LYNDON (shared spot, sorry)
1976: THE TENANT
1977: STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (shared spot, sorry)
1978: DAYS OF HEAVEN
1979: ALIEN

I really want to be more original than this, but honesty comes first. The amount of high profile masterpieces, both US and non-US, that I had to omit here is staggering, to say the least.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

The amount of high profile masterpieces, both US and non-US, that I had to omit here is staggering, to say the least.

Yeah, I find the 70s to be the decade that's most crammed with great films. I had to exclude films that probably would have made it into my top five if they'd been assigned to any later decade.

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Yeah, I find the 70s to be the decade that's most crammed with great films. I had to exclude films that probably would have made it into my top five if they'd been assigned to any later decade.

At least you're making lists with more than one per year, in a more traditional list fashion. That allows you some room. I couldn't do that; I would be stuck in research forever, with humongous lists.

I know that the 60s will be equally tricky. From the 50s and backwards, it gets easier. I intend to go back all the way to the 1890s, now that Quintus had inadvertently started this damn thing.

22 hours ago, John said:

Fantastic Mr. Fox

everything else...

I tried this one night while propped up against my pillow in bed. Couldn't get beyond the 20 minute mark and switched it off. I'd heard great things, and I love a well crafted animation, so I was quite surprised by how disappointing I found it. What is the appeal then?

51 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I tried this one night while propped up against my pillow in bed. Couldn't get beyond the 20 minute mark and switched it off. I'd heard great things, and I love a well crafted animation, so I was quite surprised by how disappointing I found it. What is the appeal then?

I like it partly for its style and visuals; the way it's shot in warm autumn tones, the art direction, the delicate framing of every shot, the "roughness" of the animation...

It also has a lot of really great writing. The wry humor, the character interactions, the clever setups and payoffs; there's also this undertone of melancholy that gives it a sense of poignancy that really isn't present in many modern animated films.

I mean, I just felt like it was a typical domestic scenario with stop motion animation as its gimmick. If they'd used real life actors instead, I wonder if anyone would have taken any notice of it.

This is the decade of movies I just can't get into. I'm still discovering movies from the 2000s and enjoying them, but 2010s are really bad. I mean, I liked the Mickey Rourke scene from The Expendables...can't think of anything else.

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I mean, I just felt like it was a typical domestic scenario with stop motion animation as its gimmick. If they'd used real life actors instead, I wonder if anyone would have taken any notice of it.

I feel that’s part of its charm, though. The characters are essentially human actors in animal suits. It’s a very novel approach and adds a sense of realism and relatibility. 

So it's all about FANTASTIC MR. FOX now?

I usually dislike Wes Anderson like there's no tomorrow, but I quite liked FANTASTIC MR. FOX. His quirky style felt more at home in an animated environment. One of the very few films of his that I've kinda liked. It also reminded me of the stylings of the late Norwegian pupeteer maestro/filmmaker Ivo Caprino (Anderson MUST have seen some of his films, like REVE-ENKA, before doing that film).

11 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Yeah, I find the 70s to be the decade that's most crammed with great films. 

That's because in that period the lunatics were running the asylum. 

homepage_EB19991114REVIEWS08911140301AR.

At least, that's how Warren Beatty puts it.

1960s

Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Bullitt (Peter Yates)
Chimes at Midnight (Orson Welles)
Cléo from 5 to 7 (Agnès Varda)
Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick)
The End of Summer (Yasujirō Ozu)
Faces (John Cassavetes)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone)
The Graduate (Mike Nichols)
Jules et Jim (François Truffaut)
Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean)
The Leopard (Luchino Visconti)
My Night at Maud's (Éric Rohmer)
Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner)
Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock)
The Rise to Power of Louis XIV (Roberto Rossellini)
Shock Corridor (Sam Fuller)
2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick)
Woman in the Dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara)
Z (Costa-Gavras)

I've caught up to you, Gloin!

The 1960s:

1960: L'AVVENTURA
1961: VIRIDIANA
1962: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
1963: THE GREAT ESCAPE
1964: THE PAWNBROKER
1965: REPULSION and PIERROT LE FOU (shared spot, sorry)
1966: BLOW-UP and THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (shared spot, sorry)
1967: THE GRADUATE
1968: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (but such a great year!)
1969: EASY RIDER 

Planet is good, but also cheeseballs on occasion. Lion, I’ve never seen, and Bond I’ve never cared for (although OHMSS is one of the better ones). I had several dozens of runner-ups, but alas, none of those you mention were in the running..,

What about the wonderful gem called Bonnie and Clyde. Easy Rider is and always has been b movie schlock.

And lets clearly forget the most iconic musical of the 60's West Side Story.

Yeah, there will always be runner-ups. If I were to list all the runner-ups, we would be here forever. You should give us your own lists, Richard and Joe!

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'll wait for the Spielberg version.

It will be a lesser effort than the original. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, there will always be runner-ups. If I were to list all the runner-ups, we would be here forever. You should give us your own lists, Richard and Joe!

The 60's is probably my least favorite decade. 

19 hours ago, Thor said:

1968: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (but such a great year!)

2001: A Space Odyssey

Once Upon a Time in the West

Planet of the Apes

Rosemary's Baby

A great year indeed!

35 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Once Upon a Time in the West

Planet of the Apes

Rosemary's Baby

A great year indeed!

Indeed. Beyond those you mention, so many other contenders as well -- BULLITT, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, TEOREMA, THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR, ICE STATION ZEBRA, WHERE EAGLES DARE, BARBARELLA (yeah, cult classic!), HOUR OF THE WOLF, THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER....

1950s

Bad Day at Black Rock (John Sturges)
Genevieve (Henry Cornelius)
High Noon (Fred Zinnemann)
Hiroshima mon amour (Alain Resnais)
In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray)
Les Jeux interdits (René Clément)
Journey to Italy (Roberto Rossellini)
A Man Escaped (Robert Bresson)
The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton)
The Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini)
On the Waterfront (Elia Kazan)
Pather Panchali (Satyajit Ray)
The Searchers (John Ford)
Seven Men from Now (Budd Boetticher)
Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick)
Tokyo Story (Yasujirō Ozu)
Touch of Evil (Orson Welles)
12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet)
Ugetsu monogatari (Kenji Mizoguchi)
Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman)

Good list, Gloin. PATHER PANCHALI is one of my alltime favourite films, and WILD STRAWBERRIES my favourite Bergman. Guess I'll have to do my own to keep up with you now.

I thought you would overtake me by the 50s!

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

PATHER PANCHALI is one of my alltime favourite films, and WILD STRAWBERRIES my favourite Bergman.

Same here, particularly in regard to Wild Strawberries.

The 1950s:

1950: RASHOMON
1951: EARLY SUMMER
1952: UMBERTO D
1953: MONSIEUR HULOT'S HOLIDAY
1954: SANSHO THE BAILIFF
1955: PATHER PANCHALI
1956: APARAJITO
1957: WILD STRAWBERRIES
1958: TOUCH OF EVIL
1959: THE 400 BLOWS, SLEEPING BEAUTY and BEN HUR (shared spot, sorry). This is such a crazy good year. Could easily have included SOME LIKE IT HOT, THE WORLD OF APU, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, ANATOMY OF A MURDER, HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR, IMITATION OF LIFE and others.

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not a fruit! :pat:

It's fruit pretending to be vegetable, just like tomatoes, hence me calling them infiltrators.

I want to overtake Gloin, so here's my 40s list right away (if I can butt in amidst this fruity talk)!

The 1940s:

1940: FANTASIA
1941: CITIZEN KANE
1942: BAMBI
1943: DAY OF WRATH
1944: DOUBLE INDEMNITY
1945: ROME OPEN CITY
1946: THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
1947: QUAI DES ORFÈVRES
1948: BICYCLE THIEVES
1949: LA SILENCE DE LA MER