Junkie XL’s TERMINATOR: DARK FATE (2019)

John

Junkie XL to compose score for TERMINATOR: DARK FATE.

Composer Tom Holkenborg, aka Junkie XL, will score Terminator: Dark Fate, the upcoming Terminator sequel that brings series creator James Cameron back as a producer for the first time since 1991's Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

The film is from director Tim Miller, who collaborated with Holkenborg on 2016's Deadpool.

"It's great to be working on another project with Tim," Holkenborg said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "The original Terminators were such iconic movies, and having James back as a producer with Tim directing is an amazing dream team. It's going to be a fantastic movie to be part of."

Holkenborg's scoring credits include Mad Max: Fury Road, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, The Dark Tower, the most recent Tomb Raider movie and Alita: Battle Angel.

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Brilliant choice, if you ask me. I hope he goes back to the all-electronic roots; if so, JXL is the right man for the job.

I agree...with Thor. If anyone is going to carry the TERMINATOR "torch", it's JXL.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I also get an 'energy boost' every time I see him attached to an exciting and fitting project!

Wait, really? Junkie? What would you say his best scores are?

2 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Don’t really care about this news.

Fair enough.

2 hours ago, El Jefe said:

the series stopped after T2 as far as I’m concerned.

Hold up. You know that this film is a sequel to T1-2 that completely ignores all the other films, right? What more could the producers do to make you care? It's like they made this new one just for you!

4 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well according to Movie Music UK...

https://moviemusicuk.us/2019/03/19/alita-battle-angel-tom-holkenborg/

Based on this review I'm willing to give this scoring assignment a chance.

7 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, BRIMSTONE, DEADPOOL and DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS (my favourite so far).

But I really liked a lot of ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL and MORTAL ENGINES.

Great bits and pieces scattered across other scores. Been a fan ever since the "A Little Less Conversation" remix in 2004. But this particular film assignment is probably the best cast so far!

I remember liking Mortal Engines and Alita: Battle Angel, but I can't remember anything about the scores (themes etc.)

17 hours ago, Thor said:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, BRIMSTONE, DEADPOOL and DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS (my favourite so far).

But I really liked a lot of ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL and MORTAL ENGINES.

Great bits and pieces scattered across other scores. Been a fan ever since the "A Little Less Conversation" remix in 2004. But this particular film assignment is probably the best cast so far!

Huh, I'll have to give some of those a spin!

Start with DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS, if you can (of course, it's a prerequisite that you like beautiful, electronic music in this case).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This does seem right up Junkie's alley.

Also, the actress from Halt and Catch Fire (which was a great show) is perfect for a movie like this.  I hope this is good.  It probably won't be.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The soundtrack is out.

Terminated (1:28)
My Name Is Dani (3:39)
Rev 9 (3:10)
Iron Spike (2:52)
Enter Sarah (0:59)
Grace (4:24)
Drones Coming (1:46)
The Wall (4:12)
Terminator (2:57)
Coyote (2:18)
The Picture On The Fridge (0:42)
C5 (4:10)
Humv (1:59)
You Saved Me (5:41)
Screaming Turbines (4:13)
For John (7:59)
Epilogue (1:10)
Dark Fate (4:19)

I've listened to a few of the tracks, and while it's no Brad Fiedel, it's not bad. It leans a bit more on the orchestral than I expected it to. I like the new version of the original theme at the end - it's not a straight-up cover of the second film's theme which makes for a nice change of pace. I'm also surprised that "Terminated" and "Terminator" actually have the 'metal heartbeat' sounds from T2 - I assumed that this was just editorially-created by the sound editors by clipping parts from T2's score. It seems that Junkie XL actually went searching for the synths Brad Fiedel used in T2, which is a nice touch.

The Rev-9 gets a new low-thrumming motif which is... I'll say 'apt'. At least it's not a reuse of the T-1000 'low siren' motif, which has been used in pretty much every Terminator score since - including the TV show.

It's serviceable, but again: it's no Brad Fiedel score. If you like Junkie XL anyway, you'll probably like this one. I personally don't think I would need a sessions leak for this one to fill in any gaps like I did with Genisys (missing material in the final fight and start of the film) or Salvation (the score to the Arnold reveal).

Next to no interest in the film, but I'm listening to the score now. It sounds to me a bit like if Cameron asked Holkenborg to emulate Fiedel's harsh, droning synth sound, but just comes across as rather C-movie like in the action sequences.

The more ambient tracks are more pleasant but it doesn't go much further than that for me.

It's the second James Cameron produced movie in a row scored by Holkenborg. 

I guess I have to abandon all my hopes of Avatar 2 being scored by JNH or Powell and just accept the fact that Junkie will score it and the next sequences on the saga. :( Can't wait for the arrangement of Horner's I See You main theme with Fury Road drums.

If Holkenborg scores Avatar 2 then Cameron has completely lost his mind. I would've thought he knows well enough the importance of a symphonic, classically-trained composer following in Horner's footsteps, given the established musical palette from the first film.

I also think JC is smart enough to understand the state of modern film scoring and probably considers the RCP sound fit for the likes of a Terminator or Battle Angel film but not something organic like Avatar.

For some reason even though you can order Road House on LLL's site but not Terminator 6, the Warm Butter site has added an entry for Terminator 6 but not Road House

http://www.warmbutter.com/cds/terminatordarkfate.php

• 2 weeks later...