Which two scores would you recommend to a complete novice and why?

bollemanneke

I thought about this a few days ago. If someone who doesn't listen to film music at all asked you to recommend them two scores that they absolutely need to listen to, which ones would you pick and why?

I would go for Titanic and Harry Potter 3: Titanic because it's a memorable but unconventional score and HP3 because of its enormous style variety.

26 minutes ago, John said:

Jaws and Star Wars. 

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

E.T. The album (or let’s say the latest expanded release)

The Force Awakens OST

I can't imagine anything better than these.

I would recommend said person absolutely NOTHING untill I charted his or her preferences in terms of genre, style etc.. I would then give a recommendation or two based on that. I will not presume to think the person likes something just because I do.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

I would recommend said person absolutely NOTHING untill I charted his or her preferences in terms of genre, style etc.. I would then give a recommendation or two based on that. 

Yes, but I think most can agree that there are a number of easily accessible scores that best represent the merits of the genre, and can serve as a gateway for casual listeners. 

9 minutes ago, John said:

Yes, but I think most can agree that there are a number of easily accessible scores that best represent the merits of the genre, and can serve as a gateway for casual listeners. 

But the question was to give recommendations for further listening, not to 'mention some classic scores' to a newbie for information's sake. I never, ever, recommend anyone anything untill I know where he or she is coming from. I'm not going to recommend STAR WARS to an electronica buff as an easy gateway into film music, for example.

I would never go for the poor Titanic or a relatively mediocre pastiche score like HP 3. Neither of them are "essential" nor do they represent film music at its best. You could argue that Titanic is even a score that gave film music a bad reputation.

A Streetcar Named Desire and East of Eden would be two good candidates to begin with though I think. Why? Because they used modern music and both of the scores contain music that represents film music at its best. At their best, they have never been surpassed in the field. Both by two of the most formidable composers to ever work in the field as well.

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

I would recommend said person absolutely NOTHING untill I charted his or her preferences in terms of genre, style etc.. I would then give a recommendation or two based on that. I will not presume to think the person likes something just because I do.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

But the question was to give recommendations for further listening, not to 'mention some classic scores' to a newbie for information's sake. I never, ever, recommend anyone anything untill I know where he or she is coming from. I'm not going to recommend STAR WARS to an electronica buff as an easy gateway into film music, for example.

That is called "summoning fragmentation" which is not a very good thing.

Totally depends on the person, yeah. Also, it depends on their goal. Do they want to get a sense of my musical tastes? Raiders would probably be one of them. Not sure on the other. Do they want to get a sense for what film music is like in general? There's no way just two scores can possibly sum that up, although POA would indeed be an interesting start. Are they hoping to be wooed into loving film music? One of my recommendations would probably be something Horner, and/or even Zimmer, unless I happen to know that they're already a fan of less immediately accessible orchestral music.

It depends who I'm talking to.

If it is someone really serious, I'd recommend CE3K and maybe Ben-Hur. 

If someone from a more casual classical place, then An American Tail and Schindler's List, or even Empire of the Sun if I wanted to be daring.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Pirates Of The Carribbean

Jurassic Park

Savvy choices.  

You have to start at the top, and the score that is generally considered to be the greatest ever composed, is STAR WARS. To contrast, I'd recommend PSYCHO. Although these are polar opposites, they both represent just what film music, at its best, is capable of.

I'd ask the novice to listen to the score(s) first, and then watch the film(s), keeping in mind what they have just heard. Hopefully, they will appreciate the music's role within the films.

Not all of us need guidance to love film scores. Some of us had are own inner Jessica Tate before she even existed.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

That's a good argument, Thor, but...are you wanting people to like something, or to appreciate it?

Not allowing myself compilations here, otherwise I'd include Williams Greatest Hits from 1999.

I'd pick one of Williams' classic OSTs - maybe the ET OST, or Empire.

Then I'd pick something completely different. Something Zimmery.  Something electronic. Requiem for a Dream.  Who knows.

Giving somebody two Williams scores wouldn't help them get a taste for film music in two discs.  Giving them an expanded release for a first listen would drain any normal listener's enthusiasm fast.

Posting earnestly here because Drax already stole my "Images" answer.

42 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

We are not humanity; we are JWFan. Out there in the world, the percentage is smaller than that in their beverages.

Careful, man, there's a beverage, here!

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Not allowing myself compilations here, otherwise I'd include Williams Greatest Hits from 1999.

Mike, JW composed only three scores, in 1999. It wouldn't be a long CD.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

That's a good argument, Thor, but...are you wanting people to like something, or to appreciate it?

Again, that would depend entirely on what the person asked me to do, and where he or she comes from. I can't believe people are just rattling off personal favourites or classic scores here without this basic point-of-departure.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Again, that would depend entirely on what the person asked me to do, and where he or she comes from. I can't believe people are just rattling off personal favourites or classic scores here without this basic point-of-departure.

Would you ask the person if he/she prefers OSTs or expanded score presentations? ;)

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Would you ask the person if he/she prefers OSTs or expanded score presentations? ;)

If it's a regular person with no film music knowledge, I'll take it for granted that an OST presentation is preferred. Expanded editions are only for nutty film score nerds. ;)

Ask the person did you like the music you heard in the movie? If so and you would like to hear it again then get the album. This is the logical starting point

1 minute ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

People that have Star Wars as their first favorite score usually turn out to be very, very boring.

It's just another "huh-duh watz yor favrite film scoar mate?" thread in disguise.

Just now, Kasey Kockroach said:

People that have Star Wars as their first favorite score usually turn out to be very, very boring.

Idiotic post of the day

23 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Idiotic post of the day

Its just an “oooh look at me, I don’t like Star Wars and I’m on a John Wiliams’ Board. I’m edgy” post 

30 minutes ago, John said:

I think it was meant to be taken ironically.

There is no room for irony when it comes to the Star Wars score