Which two scores would you recommend to a complete novice and why?

bollemanneke

The first two Bangles songs I would recommend would be "If She Knew What She Wants" and "Dover Beach."

And there is my idiotic post of the day.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Not allowing myself compilations here, otherwise I'd include Williams Greatest Hits from 1999.

For real, though, this is what I’d do, short of just making my own playlist or sending them to YouTube.

The 1999 album is a good one. Accessible and comprehensive.

0731BB5C-8931-4F0E-BC9E-FF662A0426D5.jpeg

I don’t know if there’s really a great, more general film music compilation but this one would make a decent companion since there’s no John Williams in there and it covers a lot of ground, samples some deep cuts, Golden Age stuff, non-orchestral etc.

2B7DF8C2-2C9C-4D1E-A16B-EC28FE47B7AB.jpeg

I would recommend my two favourite scores:

1. How To Train Your Dragon - not only is this a very pleasant and non-provocative score, but it's what I consider to be a model example of story-telling through music.
  2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - this is simply the most entertaining, diverse and instrumentally interesting score I've ever listened to, whilst at the same time being written with skill, class, and supreme attention to detail. So if said novice enjoys being entertained by good quality music, then they should enjoy this.

Of course there's no guaranteeing that these two scores will go down well. Everybody is different, and some are just not ready. ;)

Back To The Future

The Empire Strikes Back

Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan (FSM)

I think those are pretty solid scores that would probably get someone into film scores.

18 hours ago, Fabulin said:

B.S. Borodin. I recently got a friend into film music, who now has a 50-50 habit of listening to the score of what he just watched. (and slowly absorbs the classics too).

Pick up better friends or better social skills.

I am the best friend they will ever have.