Jaws (1975) vs. Alien (1979)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

• Jaws (directed by Steven Spielberg)
    • Alien (directed by Ridley Scott)
  2. 2. Which score do you prefer?

• Jaws (composed by John Williams)
    • Alien (composed by Jerry Goldsmith)

I do think Jaws is genuinely creepier and more frightening than Alien. The trailer sound effect from Alien was more unsettling than the actual movie. I first saw Alien on the Great Movie Ride at Disneyworld where it was a three-dimensional recreation of the spaceship with a Sigourney robot and Alien robots attacking the car. It was actually pretty intimidating for a small child, but I think it spoiled the movie a bit for me. When I saw it, I wasn't creeped out at all. It just reminded me of Disneyworld.

Scared the hell out of me, it did. But than, Jaws made me afraid to take a bath for a day or two, so...

But its all incredibly subjective.

The one thing with Alien is that you gotta to love the craft. Jaws didn't have the challenge of being set in space and on spaceships and alien planets. The reason why Alien works for such a long time before anything scary happens is that its so freaking cool just as a movie about space.

JAWS is a great film, but I'm not even sure it would break into my Top 10 Spielberg.

ALIEN, on the other hand, is not only Scott's best, but one of the very best things created in the history of cinema.

So not much of a competition, even if one pits two great films against each other.

Jaws is a masterpiece both film and score. ALIEN wants to be but isn't. 

And Jaws is top 10 Spielberg coming in at #2(E.T.). The film works primarly for two reasons, Speilberg's direction (possibly his greatest effort) and John Williams. When everything else went wrong Spielberg and Williams did everything right.

16 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Jaws is a masterpiece both film and score.

Yes.

ALIEN wants to be but isn't. 

No.

And Jaws is top 10 Spielberg

Yes.

coming in at #2 (E.T.)

No.

16 hours ago, Thor said:

JAWS is a great film, but I'm not even sure it would break into my Top 10 Spielberg.

ALIEN, on the other hand, is not only Scott's best, but one of the very best things created in the history of cinema.

So not much of a competition, even if one pits two great films against each other.

That and nothing else is the truth.

I want to know what difference such opinions actually make in the scheme of things. 

You probably own both soundtracks on CD in some version, and both movies on some spinny medium. Sometimes you watch one, sometimes you watch the other. 

Does the movie get worse if it doesn't receive enough praise? 

Is a movie like a vengeful god that will hunt down and crush the testicles of all the nonbelievers? 

Jaws made entire generations scared to go into the water. 

Alien has never made anyone scared of deep space trucking missions. 

Alien isn’t even scary, but Jaws didn’t scare me either.

I saw Jaws when I was 9 and Alien when I was 11.