John Powell’s Top 100 Film Scores

John

Exactly mine would be 80 Williams, 15 Goldmith and some Horner, Morricone and Herrmann's one to complete. Now it's doesn't mean that I'm forgetting about the other great composers just that those score are my favourite regardless of their actual quality or innovation they did bring.

I'll go further by saying that I'm quite sure this list doesn't really represent his actual 100 favourites scores but the largest variety possible among his favourites. It's more classy to present a list like that than the entire Williams filmography for exemple, plus it makes one looks more cultivate. ;)

We differ so greatly in opinion. Why would one be so redundant and list Williams entire filmography? I'd be surprised if Williams had more than a few entries in my top 100 since there are many other composers that need to be included in order to cover the entirety of what the best that film music has to offer. There's Hugo Friedhofer and David Raksin, another two important names left out entirely by Powell...

But then again, I consider myself familiar enough with almost all eras of film music. Relatively few of my own choices for a top 100 list would have been scores written in the last few decades as I consider the 1950s and 1960s to be the best era of film music.

I do think that this list of his is just his personal favourites; I doubt that this is a list in attempt to look more cultured since it excludes so many important film composers and landmark scores.

2 minutes ago, Aenae said:

We differ so greatly in opinion. Why one would be so redundant and list Williams entire filmography? I'd be surprised if Williams had more than a few entries in my top 100 since there are many other composers that need to be included in order to cover the entirety of what the best that film music has to offer. There's Hugo Friedhofer and David Raksin, another two important names left out entirely by Powell...

But then again, I consider myself familiar enough with almost all eras of film music. Relatively few of my own choices for a top 100 list would have been scores written in the last few decades as I consider the 1950s and 1960s to be the best era of film music.

I do think that this list of his is just his personal favourites; I doubt that this is a list in attempt to look more cultured since it excludes so many important film composers and landmark scores.

You seem to have strong views on that. Would you care to share your list with us? If you do, I will share mine too.

I haven't made a list, but all of this is making me want to sit down and try make my own top 100. 

I would certainly make sure to include most of the most important film composers at least once in the top 100. Of course there can't be room for every important film composer, some exclusions must be considered somewhat acceptable.

2 minutes ago, Aenae said:

We differ so greatly in opinion. Why one would be so redundant and list Williams entire filmography? I'd be surprised if Williams had more than a few entries in my top 100 since there are many other composers that need to be included in order to cover the entirety of what the best that film music has to offer. There's Hugo Friedhofer and David Raksin, another two important names left out entirely by Powell...

I perfectly see your point of view. What I'm asking you is would it be your actual favourites scores or would it a be the best list possible to cover and represent all the greatest composers that ever existed?

When I said it looks more cultured I was reffering to the fact that if he only quotes Williams, Goldsmith or Hermann just for exemple, well it would make of him a composer who only loves/knows three composers. I haven't compted how many different composers there are in his list but I would say something around 50 which is more impressive than 3. This way you can tell that he probably has looked and listen a bit to all those composers' works, or at least a large part of it.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Honest question -- doesn't that defeat the purpose of making a list of your top 100 scores? Seems more like you're trying to make quotas.

I mean, if I had to list my top 5 favourite film scores and I couldn't split E.T. and Raiders, I wouldn't just choose one and omit the other purely to avoid multiple Williams scores.

That's fine, no objective list can obviously exist. Objective lists aren't possible obviously.

I personally think that kind of post-romanticism reached its peak earlier in film music history so including both of them would feel redundant for me. I can see why others disagree though, and that's fine ;)