Anyone else prefer Batman & Robin to the Nolan films?

Batman & Robin vs Nolan trilogy  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Batman & Robin vs Nolan trilogy

• Batman & Robin
    • Nolan's bores

I think history has been kind to Joel Schumacher's bizarre, feature-length toy commercial.

As audiences had been hit by a new wave of post-9/11 faux sophisticated and dark and disturbing approaches saturating blockbuster cinema, they eventually became fatigued by this depressing trend and demanded a return to films that didn't take themselves too seriously. But that was a long and bumpy road.

Hence I feel that Batman & Robin is a far more enjoyable film to those bloated Nolan flicks that made people feel as if their funnybook flicks had been validated as dramatic masterpieces or something. These people were kidding themselves.

Sure, the Schumacher flicks don't strike a perfect balance like the Burton ones do, but they're at least fun and entertaining.

And most importantly, they're quotable!

If Nolan stopped at Batman Begins, I may have voted yes.  TDK and TDKR succeed on the weirdness of their respective main villains, like any Batman movie should

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

If Nolan stopped at Batman Begins, I may have voted yes.  TDK and TDKR succeed on the weirdness of their respective main villains, like any Batman movie should

They're just misunderstood.

53 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

The Dark Knight Trilogy doesn't even have Robin, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze or Gossip Gertie. Batman & Robin is just better.

JGL was Robin, right?

Batman and Robin is dog feces covered in glitter. 

Time has been kind to it? What time? What dimension or reality? 

Come on. 

There's a thread idea: Dumb and Dumber versus Dumb and Dumberer vs Dumb and Dumber: When Harry Met Lloyd. 

1 hour ago, Knox Harrington said:

I prefer Nolan's but I wish he had written his Catwoman sexier.

Agreed. Though I liked Hathaway's Catwoman, at least in the first act. Then she sort of devolves into a useless side-piece.

She was never actually integral to the plot in any way, which was the problem despite her portrayal of the character being good. But that whole movie was a mess almost on the level of B&R to me...what a disappointment after TDK, for me. TDK would have been better if they hadn’t crammed Two Face briefly into the last half hour of the movie, and had just set him up to be the villain in the final movie.

Yavar

Obviously not. Nolan's films are on a whole other level.

But I still think B&R is kinda underrated as a camp fest.

The music for Batman & Robin is better even though it’s basically a re-hash of Batman Forever.

The Dark Knight is the only truly good Nolan Batman film. Begins is dull and the third film is too bloated with two disappointing confrontations with Bane.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Obviously not. Nolan's films are on a whole other level.

But I still think B&R is kinda underrated as a camp fest.

You're at JWFan, Thor, where one man's camp is another man's delicatessen. 

8 hours ago, dougie said:

I will concede that at least TDKR has some hammy moments like Marion Cotillard at the end, and even Christian Bale and Gary Oldman are a bit corny in it, so that ups my enjoyment factor.

TDKR is the best if the 3.

Even if you forgive Batman And Robin everything else, there's still Alicia Siverstone's horribly delivered 'You're compost!' to Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy.

Was amused by George Clooney saying that the movie basically killed the franchise for 8 years and a large part of that was his fault. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess the puritan USA audience couldn't handle Clooney's nipple costume.

That's because men don't have nipples.

c29f103e16c5c04fdddea1ad9ff103f8--s-toys

I know a lot of people love Batman and Robin for being a late-night movie to laugh at, but honestly it gets really exhausting for me; I don't think I've ever seen the whole thing in one sitting. 

I never got around to seeing The Dark Knight Returns, never interested me, and especially not now that I'm seeing people say that Nolan wasted Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. Makes you miss the 90's....

And yet, it provides child viewers a role model with a moral compass equivalent to that of Christopher Reeve's Superman.  Growing up 1966 Batman was great.  Watching it as an adult is still great for the other reasons you didn't pick up on as a kid.

I feel like Batman Forever pulls off the camp thing much more successfully, meaning I can actually watch it from beginning to end. And maybe it's because I haven't seen the movie in years, but I seem to remember Batman and Robin having the music...I don't know if it was mixed too quietly, but the music just felt...plastered on, anyone know what I mean? Like it's hard for me to think of that movie as having a score.