Anyone else prefer Batman & Robin to the Nolan films?

Batman & Robin vs Nolan trilogy  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Batman & Robin vs Nolan trilogy

• Batman & Robin
    • Nolan's bores

I think B&R is underrated as a 'camp' project too. It's far more overt and over-the-top than FOREVER is (and FOREVER is pretty over-the-top), and deserves a bit of applause for that. Schumacher knew what he was doing, as he departed from Burton's style.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, Thor said:

But I still think B&R is kinda underrated as a camp fest.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I think B&R is underrated as a 'camp' project too. 

Are you trying to tell us something? 

I don't think it's underrated at all, I think it's earnt a very solid reputation as a friends' movie night staple.

Well, it is underrated in that it still hasn't recovered from the critical and commercial backlash it got after its premiere. It has not been re-appreciated for the project it actually was, like -- say -- Verhoeven's SHOWGIRLS has. Or Spielberg's A.I.

But I'm hoping a new re-appraisal of Schumacher's two BATMAN films are just around the corner.

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, it is underrated in that it still hasn't recovered from the critical and commercial backlash it got after its premiere. It has not been re-appreciated for the project it actually was, like -- say -- Verhoeven's SHOWGIRLS has. Or Spielberg's A.I.

But I'm hoping a new re-appraisal of Schumacher's two BATMAN films are just around the corner.

I understand what you mean there, now. Frankly, I'd be surprised if that hasn't already started to happen.

After hearing Showgirls is one of the worst movies ever and left Verhoeven's Hollywood career in critical condition, I watched a good chunk of it back in high school, and honestly I couldn't figure out why it had the fallout it did. What did (do?) people hate about it? 

18 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

After hearing Showgirls is one of the worst movies ever and left Verhoeven's Hollywood career in critical condition, I watched a good chunk of it back in high school, and honestly I couldn't figure out why it had the fallout it did. What did (do?) people hate about it? 

They basically didn't understand the delicious satire in it, and took it on face value (like with most Verhoeven movies). And, in a way, the same can be said about B&R. Unless your name was John Waters, the 90s weren't particularly kind to camp and kitch. But it's become somewhat fashionable again, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shumacher's movies were eventually absorbed into that.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, Hedji said:

All you really need is the 1966 show.  

Oddly, B&R gets closest to that in its tone.

B&R would've been so much more enjoyable if they added the "ZAP"s and "POW!"s to the fight scenes. That said, it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

And let's face it, Alicia Silverstone and Uma Thurman were far better eye candy than Katie Holmes, Maggie Gyllenhaal or Marion Cotillard were.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

They basically didn't understand the delicious satire in it, and took it on face value (like with most Verhoeven movies). And, in a way, the same can be said about B&R. Unless your name was John Waters, the 90s weren't particularly kind to camp and kitch. But it's become somewhat fashionable again, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shumacher's movies were eventually absorbed into that.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, what does Showgirls satirize? 

16 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

You forgot Elle MacPherson and Gossip Gertie!

Gertie is pretty cute. Elle looked pretty good back in the 1990s.

Anne Hathaway would be right at home in a Schumacher Batman film with Silverstone, Thurman, and Kidman. She has that mischievous girl next door quality.

10 hours ago, dougie said:

Marion Cotillard is good looking.

In her own Gallic way.

20 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

It's been a long time since I've seen it, what does Showgirls satirize? 

Here's a selection of reviews from the premiere date untill recently; it only took two decades to be properly understood. The film was THE NEON DEMON two decades before THE NEON DEMON.

19 hours ago, Thor said:

Here's a selection of reviews from the premiere date untill recently; it only took two decades to be properly understood. The film was THE NEON DEMON two decades before THE NEON DEMON.

Obscene level of incompetence, excessive inanity in the story line, gross negligence of the viewer’s intelligence, a prurient interest in the quick buck.

That's my boy Richie C.!

19 hours ago, Matt C said:

It does have a better score than all three Nolan films combined...

So how accurate is the claim that most of it is recycled from Batman Forever?

Yes, plenty of new material. I have the 50-something minute programme that was supposed to have been released as a score-only album at the time, but that was scrapped due to the film's poor performance. It's a superb album, nodding only to FOREVER on a few occasions. Hopefully, this will get released one of these days.

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, plenty of new material. I have the 50-something minute programme that was supposed to have been released as a score-only album at the time, but that was scrapped due to the film's poor performance. It's a superb album, nodding only to FOREVER on a few occasions. Hopefully, this will get released one of these days.

Yeah I enjoy that album edit too.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've never liked Forever, film nor score. Or perhaps I'm thinking of Returns. They're quite interchangeable if you ask me!

You probably mean BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN & ROBIN. Elfman's BATMAN RETURNS is completely different from Goldenthal's BATMAN FOREVER. 

On 4/4/2019 at 4:51 PM, NL197 said:

Batman and Robin is dog feces covered in glitter. 

Time has been kind to it? What time? What dimension or reality? 

Come on. 

There's a thread idea: Dumb and Dumber versus Dumb and Dumberer vs Dumb and Dumber: When Harry Met Lloyd. 

Dumb and Dumberer and When Harry Met Lloyd is the same movie, the full title being Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd.  The 3rd film that reunited Carrey and Daniels was called Dumb and Dumber To.

On 4/6/2019 at 2:39 PM, Nick Parker said:

I never got around to seeing The Dark Knight Returns, never interested me, and especially not now that I'm seeing people say that Nolan wasted Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. Makes you miss the 90's....

Rises, not Returns.

RETURNS if probably my favourite of the four Batman scores in the 80s and 90s. It retains some of the gothic sturm-und-drang of the first score, but is mostly soaked in gorgeous, tragic melancholy.