Alien vs ESB

JoeinAR

Which is the better score and film?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. The better score?

2. 2. Which is the better film.

Remember your promise Brundlefly? 

The new jwfan love versus the heavyweight champion.

Btw I am done channeling Josh 500/Jurassic Shark.

This thread is subverting my expectations. 

Better score: Empire, not even close 

Better movie: toss-up. Alien is probably the better movie, but I enjoy ESB more

Both are absolute classics, and landmarks of the sci-fi genre. 

But THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is a legendary production in every regard. The practical effects still look fantastic, and the lighting and camerawork are beautiful. The script is the most refined and mature of the trilogy. The editing is literal textbook perfection. Williams’ iconic score is one of the finest ever composed. Mark Hamill talks to a Muppet for a majority of the film and you don’t doubt it for a second. 

There is no contest. The winner is clear. 

Is there a typo in your poll? In the first option, you say ALIENS, not ALIEN. But I voted ESB anyway -- even if Horner's ALIENS is a masterpiece.

For film, ALIEN wins again (of course).

4 hours ago, John said:

But THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is a legendary production in every regard. The practical effects still look fantastic

That's debatable. Empire had a lot of dated and even sloppy compositing work prior to the Special Edition. The snow battle looked rough, the asteroid scene had all kinds of strange lighting issues and blobs around the ships that we thought were the "shields" when we were kids. Even Luke falling down the shaft looked strange--he appeared to be a ghost from The Haunted Mansion?

Much of this was corrected for the SE, but remaining practical effects such as the awkward Ray Harryhausen snow horses, obvious puppets and whatever else don't hold up well. That door behind Luke? The effects are nothing I've ever praised about ESB. Their roughness do contribute to the chinziness and charm.

Alien also has some sloppy FX shots like the slow awkward Nostromo entering the planet atmosphere, but there's significantly less SFX because it's not that type of flick.

5 hours ago, dougie said:

ESB has too much music. Alien is nice and economical.

Indeed. Although they're apples and oranges, so hard to make that argument convincingly. But these days, I'm more into the "ALIEN philosophy".

God creates xenomorph. God creates man. Xenomorph destroys man. Woman destroys xenomorph. 

Woman inherits the universe. 

32 minutes ago, John said:

God creates xenomorph. God creates man. Xenomorph destroys man. Woman destroys xenomorph

Woman inherits the universe

Woman sleeps. 

Man creates xenomorph. Man awakens woman. Xenomorph destroys man. Xenomorph creates xenomorph. Woman destroys xenomorph. Xenomorph enters woman. Woman sleeps.

Man awakens woman. Man creates xenomorph. Xenomorph destroys man. Woman destroys xenomorph. Woman destroys woman. 

Man creates woman. Woman creates xenomorph. Xenomorph destroys man. Woman destroys xenomorph. 

Woman inherits the universe. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

they're apples and oranges

Yeah, its not really a worthwhile exercise to compare films so wildly different. I voted for Empire Strikes Back just so I could cast my vote for the score, which is (also) for Empire Strikes Back. That one is tough to beat.