Williams' manliest most testosterone-fuelled music?

TheUlyssesian

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

There's also a brief moment as the Falcon is about to escape from the space worm in Empire. A simple and exposed but extremely effective mini-melody for low brass.

Ha, I thought of that one. That was always one of my favorite moments, very meaty and gutsy. Seeing it happen in real-time in the documentary sealed a special connection I have with that whole cue.

I agree one of the ""manliest'" scores from Williams has got to be the entirety of TLW (which is why I admit TLW is one of my favorite scores from our maestro).

What do you think of this one? :

Just came to me, but is it just me, or is there something rather staunchly masculine about the opening of The 1960s: The Turbulent Years?   The hairy-chested bravado seems enhanced, even, by the softer, more vulnerable material that immediately follows.  And then there is the electrically set off fanfare that anticipates both Duel of the Fates and March of the Resistance. 

Some juicy stuff here, to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

59 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

We have a winner!

Yay! What do I win?

On 4/4/2019 at 10:51 PM, Nick Parker said:

Oh yeah, the Arena! 

Goddamn, that is meaty!

Also love that low brass etc. at 5:12.

• 3 weeks later...

Im still laughing at War of the Worlds inclusion. 

22 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

It's not a slur on your manhood.

No but it is laughable 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Lost World is definitely Williams manliest most testosterone-fueled score. It makes me want to go out in the forest with a gun and hunt dinosaurs while smoking a cigarette and turn to my fellow hunters and say, "Alright, guys. Let get the hell outta here."

55 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The Lost World is definitely Williams manliest most testosterone-fueled score. It makes me want to go out in the forest with a gun and hunt dinosaurs while smoking a cigarette and turn to my fellow hunters and say, "Alright, guys. Let get the hell outta here."

What does Always make you want to do?

I find myself returning to The Lost World where there's a force there that is constantly driving the action, and the rhythm of the percussion adds to that even in the quieter scenes. It was Williams saying, 'fuck the resplendent fanfares, this ain't no theme park!'  I just wish we can get another chance for him to jump back into that dark territory and bring out those juicy textures like in TLW.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

I find myself returning to The Lost World where there's a force there that is constantly driving the action, and the rhythm of the percussion adds to that even in the quieter scenes. It was Williams saying, 'fuck the resplendent fanfares, this ain't no theme park!'  I just wish we can get another chance for him to jump back into that dark territory and bring out those juicy textures like in TLW.

Well said. It's really a pretty unique Williams score, stylistically speaking, even though there are a lot of very obvious manifestations of tried-and-true JW compositional techniques. I loooove all the percussion.