Alan Silvestri's AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019)

A milestone for Silvestri for sure. Scoring probably the biggest cinematic event in the past decade in terms of cultural currency, apart from The Force Awakens.

Also remember for Infinity War he conjured up one of the most memorable score moments in recent blockbuster history (along with perhaps the Jedi Steps sequence and the Spark sequence) - a moment that was undeniably impactful and gets a huge reaction from the crowd.

How will he fare for what is essentially the MCU series finale up until now?

We have our first taste of the score in an extended clip! 

WARNING: THE SCENE IS LITERALLY FROM THE FIRST FEW MINUTES OF THE FILM BUT STILL BE FOREWARNED.

I think the ending crescendo is leading into a full blast of the main theme for the main title.

55 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Also remember for Infinity War he conjured up one of the most memorable score moments in recent blockbuster history (along with perhaps the Jedi Steps sequence and the Spark sequence) - a moment that was undeniably impactful and gets a huge reaction from the crowd.

What moment was that?

I thought that bit was just tracked in from the original Avengers score?

For me, the best part of the Infinity War score that really stuck out was 

Spoiler

the part where Thanos sacrifices Gamora on Vormir. Excellent piece of dramatic writing.

The music that struck me as "iconic" from that score were the scene John mentioned, the forging of the axe, and the stuff immediately leading up to, and everything post-snap.  But obviously two of those would not be crowd pleasers.

29 minutes ago, John said:

For me, the best part of the Infinity War score that really stuck out was 

Reveal hidden contents

Is that on the album? Track and timestamp would be nice.

53 minutes ago, John said:

I thought that bit was just tracked in from the original Avengers score?

I don't think it is tracked. I think it is a new recording for the sequence. CC picked it as one his tracks of the year too.

My favourite moment from the previous score is actually The Porch. Thought Silvestri's very empathetic approach towards Thanos was quite refreshing. The score, while great on any album, was much stronger than the first one. There's more colour to it.

Karol

This is definitely from the first 10 to 15 minutes of the film. No more clips, though! This is all that is needed. Regarding that moment in Infinity War, with Thor, Rocket and Groot’s arrival in Wakanda, that statement of the Avengers theme is obviously newly performed and is part of the rest of the track, Forge.

Looking forward to Endgame.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:12 PM, dougie said:

Neither this movie nor Ep9 matter.

Only Godzilla: King of the Monsters matters.

Ha! Good one.

For many reasons I won’t get into because it is off-topic, Star Wars, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker is the film I am looking forward to the most, more so than Endgame. My anticipation to see Endgame is very high, so that is saying something.

Anyway, back on topic. One of the things I am looking forward to with Endgame is how Alan Silvestri will top his work for Captain America: The First Avengers, The Avengers, and especially Avengers: Infinity War. 

I cared very much for the 2014 Godzilla, I had none of the issues others had with it (although I wish Cranston didn't die so early).  I also thought Kong: Skull Island was a ton of fun.  Seriously, Samuel L. Jackson in Kong is one of the most delightfully hammy performances of the past few years.  A+

I wasn't overly negative about Godzilla, but I left feeling just kind of meh.  Kaiju has never been my thing though.

Kong is on my shelf waiting for the day when my spouse will agree to watch it with me!

Skull Island is...okay. It doesn't have characters to speak of. *** out of *****

2014's Godzilla is a good movie. I like how sparingly Godzilla appears in the movie. Its like Hannibal Lecter in the Silence of the Lambs. Helps makes his appearances all the more special. **** out of *****

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Skull Island is...okay. It doesn't have characters to speak of. *** out of *****

Sam Jackson, John C. Reilly, and John Goodman were more than enough character to make up for the blandness of the rest.  The action scenes were outstanding too.  More eye-popping and cool than anything that PJ did on Skull Island, that's for sure.

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It would be difficult for Skull Island not to be better than Jackson's Kong!

I would be very very on board for Peter Jackson to work with Samuel L. Jackson, though.  I think they would actually mesh surprisingly well together.  He's our most taken-for-granted actor working today due to his ubiquity.  I've been realizing more and more lately how extraordinary he really is as a performer.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I would be very very on board for Peter Jackson to work with Samuel L. Jackson, though.  I think they would actually mesh surprisingly well together.  He's our most taken-for-granted actor working today due to his ubiquity.  I've been realizing more and more lately how extraordinary he really is as a performer.

Ever watch Sunset Limited? Probably my favorite performance of his.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

He somehow manages to be a chameleon in roles, despite oftentimes being the biggest, loudest person on the screen. 

He's like John Carpenter's The Thing: people complained that you saw too much of it in the movie, that it was all over the film, but the truth is that we never see its true form. It's easy to see Samuel L. Jackson as the instant cool-factor actor to cast when you things to get loud and feisty, but he's really a working man actor at the heart of it all, shifting his persona to the needs of the project.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He's been in like 100 movies and i've never seen him phone it in

What did you think about his performance in Star Wars?

There are sequences where the tone Jackson's going for works.  I like the score, too.  I think just about every actor outside of Watts and Serkis is miscast, though.

Kyle Chandler wasn't terrible.  Jackson clearly wanted a return to that heightened theatricality you find in film performances of the 1930s, but most of them didn't pull it off IMO.

I completely get why on paper Black is the perfect actor to play Carl Denham.  But his line-readings were awkward as hell and his reaction shots painfully overdone.

But also I've seen the movie many times and can find a lot to enjoy.  Especially in the production design and cinematography.  You can tell it was the same team as LOTR.

4 minutes ago, Fargo said:

The bug pit scene still creeps me out. Probably my favorite scene, aside from the frozen pond and the Rex fight.

The CG still looks great today.  Although I find the action scenes on the island to be good but not great.  I love Jackson's glee for grossing people out, of course, but I find they lack a certain stylishness or something.  I'm bad at expressing myself when it comes to the more abstract aspects of filmmaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from this, in glorious IMAX.

Not going to say anything about the film (rating-wise, I put it at the same level as the previous two, but not as good as the first).

The score was as expected -- loud and rambunctious, not quite my cup of tea. BUT....I quite liked the quieter moments. The first part of Silvestri's end credits music is heartbreaking -- all strings, almost, doing various chord modulations that are both heroic and melancholic at the same time. Also references to other non-Silvestri Marvel scores, as one would expect.

I might be able to create a decent playlist out of the soundtrack with some work.