Alan Silvestri's AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019)

Did you just break the embargo. Btw the first was not the best. It was 2nd best among the three

21 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Did you just break the embargo. Btw the first was not the best. It was 2nd best among the three

No, the embargo concerns the film and plot points.

Guess my next project now is to see all the previous Marvel films I haven't seen, so I can grasp all the narrative lines and characters in this one. That's a pretty huge project right there.

Just looking at this list, and seeing how scattered and infrequent my Marvel exposure has been, it's kinda overwhelming: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a825774/marvel-cinematic-universe-in-chronological-order/

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I might be able to create a decent playlist out of the soundtrack with some work.

You shouldn't do any such thing. You are not a record producer. 

17 minutes ago, John said:

@Thor, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the film in the spoilers thread? Would love to hear what you thought of it. 

He is probably not legally allowed to. NDA and all. 

That is correct. Disney had me sign an NDA before the screening, so I'm embargoed untill 1 AM. Mentioning which themes, for example, also means spoilers, so I'll have to wait untill tonight or tomorrow. But my knowledge of this cinematic (and film score) universe is much poorer than most of you, so I had to rely on the end credits to identify them.

After today, I decided to start the aforementioned, massive project, by rewatching CAPTAIN AMERICA: FIRST AVENGER, and then on to AGENT CARTER (which I see is on Netflix for the time being) and on and on. Not so much because I'm a big fan, but because it's annoying to be out of the loop and not have all the references in order.

Thor, watch the movies in the order they were released; Don't go by some online guide about a "proper" order.

And don't worry about the TV entries.  Many are entertaining, some are well made, but none of them have any importance on what happens in the movies.

Yea.  They released them in a way that makes sense to everyone who watched them as they came out, and moving a few around in order doesn't really improve anything.

And in some ways, confuses things a bit.  i.e. in release order, one movie tends to lead into the next despite chronology (especially the post-credits scenes).   Captain America: The First Avenger leads directly into The Avengers, but the chronological list has 22 hours of content sandwiched between the two.  Captain Marvel ends with a kind of lame tease for a movie that, chronologically, is separated by over 200 hours of content.

The TV stuff is what frustrates me the most. I know Jay says it's not that important in terms of overall timeline, but I've seen all of SHIELD -- for example -- without having seen all the films, and each season makes references to preceding or concurrent events in the larger MCU universe. I've just decided to ignore these references as best as I can.

The TV shows reference stuff that happens in the movies all the time, the point is the movies basically never reference anything from the shows.  if they do, it's just essentially background easter egg type shout-outs, nothing of any importance at all.

In other words, the movies are helpful in understanding the tv shows, but the tv shows are completely irrelevant to understanding the movies.

It's Friday in New Zealand so this is up for sale there

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/avengers-endgame-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1460618908

EvwsOlFl.jpg

Here's the tracklist, titles are vague enough to not reveal any plot points, but just to be careful:

Spoiler

01. Totally Fine (04:29)
02. Arrival (01:49)
03. No Trust (03:08)
04. Where Are They? (03:12)
05. Becoming Whole Again (03:48)
06. I Figured It Out (04:30)
07. Perfectly Not Confusing (04:46)
08. You Shouldn't Be Here (03:33)
09. The How Works (03:50)
10. Snap Out of It (02:24)
11. So Many Stairs (01:51)
12. One Shot (02:04)
13. Watch Each Other's Six (03:56)
14. I Can't Risk This (04:48)
15. He Gave It Away (03:42)
16. The Tool of a Thief (02:58)
17. The Measure of a Hero (03:05)
18. Destiny Fulfilled (04:05)
19. In Plain Sight (03:14)
20. How Do I Look? (02:06)
21. Whatever It Takes (02:56)
22. Not Good (01:53)
23. Gotta Get Out (02:38)
24. I Was Made for This (04:37)
25. Tres Amigos (03:37)
26. Tunnel Scape (03:16)
27. Worth It (04:15)
28. Portals (03:17)
29. Get This Thing Started (04:54)
30. The One (02:08)
31. You Did Good (01:57)
32. The Real Hero (05:54)
33. Five Seconds (01:45)
34. Go Ahead (02:56)
35. Main on End (03:11)

TOTAL TIME - 1:56:51

Remember if discussing that not everyone will see the movie right away, so if you discuss spoiler-y movie scenes when discussing the music, please use spoiler tags for now or be vague with what you say :) Thank you!

That's one long digital OST

And there's no "(Extended Edition)" after any titles or anything so I assume the physical OST will be 2CDs... or there isn't one.

There's only one edition of the digital OST on iTunes.

In the 21 days leading up to Avengers: Endgame, I have re-watched every film in the entire Marvel Studios Infinity Saga (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Avengers: Infinity War, and Captain Marvel), one film each night. I am ready to see Avengers: Endgame tonight. I am going to the first showing at 5 PM, the fan night event. I am really looking forward to this. I am glad that Alan Silvestri's score to Avengers: Endgame is getting the same generous treatment, in that almost the entire score will be released, that Infinity War got. I will definitely purchase it on iTunes, to go along with two tracks from John Debney's score to Iron Man 2, three tracks from Patrick Doyle's score to Thor, Silvestri's score to Captain America: The First Avenger, seven tracks from The Avengers, one track from Brian Tyler's score to Iron Man 3, two tracks from Avengers: Age of Ultron (Danny Elfman's rendition of Silvestri's Avengers Theme), one track from Christophe Beck's score to Ant-Man, Michael Giacchino's scores to Doctor Strange and Spider-Man, four tracks from Mark Mothersbaugh's score to Thor: Ragnarok, Ludwig Gorranson's score to Black Panther, one track from Beck's score to Ant-Man and the Wasp, and three tracks from Pinar Toprak's score to Captain Marvel.

45 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

In the 21 days leading up to Avengers: Endgame, I have re-watched every film in the entire Marvel Studios Infinity Saga (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Avengers: Infinity War, and Captain Marvel), one film each night. I am ready to see Avengers: Endgame tonight. I am going to the first showing at 5 PM, the fan night event. I am really looking forward to this. I am glad that Alan Silvestri's score to Avengers: Endgame is getting the same generous treatment, in that almost the entire score will be released, that Infinity War got. I will definitely purchase it on iTunes, to go along with three tracks from Patrick Doyle's score to Thor, Silvestri's score to Captain America: The First Avenger, seven tracks from The Avengers, Michael Giacchino's scores to Doctor Strange and Spider-Man, two tracks from Avengers: Age of Ultron (Danny Elfman's rendition of Silvestri's Avengers Theme), four tracks from Mark Mothersbaugh's score to Thor: Ragnarok, and three tracks from Pinar Toprak's score to Captain Marvel.

Wanna list the tracks that you have bought?

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Wanna list the tracks that you have bought?

Thor - "Can You See Jane?", "Thor Kills the Destroyer", "Earth to Asgard."

The Avengers - "Arrival", "Helicarrier", "Assemble", "I Got a Ride", "One Way Trip", "A Promise" / "The Avengers."

Avengers: Age of Ultron - "Avengers Unite", "New Avengers - Avengers: Age of Ultron."

Thor: Ragnarok - "Ragnarok Suite", "Twilight of the gods", "Hela vs. Asgard", "Where To?"

Captain Marvel - "Captain Marvel", "I'm All Fired Up", "More Problems."

I almost forgot to mention that I have Ludwig Gorranson's score to Black Panther,

John Debney's tracks "Black Widow Kicks Ass" and "I Am Iron Man" from Iron Man 2,

Brain Tyler's track "Can You Dig It? (Iron Man 3 Main Titles)",

Christophe Beck's "Theme from Ant-Man" and "It Ain't Over Till the Wasp Lady Stings" from Ant-Man and the Wasp.

A couple observations so far on first listen...

Spoiler

I'm liking the jazzy versions of the main theme!  Also hearing some Ant-Man snooping-around stuff

Portals got me amped up and ready to go see this tomorrow afternoon!  

Not sure, didn't watch any of the Premier vids.

Spoiler

OMG I'm going to lose it when I go see this tomorrow.  You Did Good and The Real Hero almost got me already!  I'm not even sure who dies but I know someone is!  LOL

I just got back from seeing the film. Marvel Studios has done something remarkable in the last decade with The Infinity Saga. I won't give anything away. Too much to take in as it is. All I will say is this. Each film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe Infinity Saga has been great, with compelling stories and great characters all interlocked into one giant narrative. Anyway, to put it simply, Avengers: Endgame is the best film out of all the previous films that lead to it. A very powerful conclusion to a narrative 11 years in the making. Also, Alan Silvestri surpassed what he did in Captain America: The First Avengers, The Avengers, and Avengers: Infinity War combined. I will be seeing it again tomorrow and Sunday in the way it was meant to be seen: IMAX. I want to give a shout out to everyone involved in making Marvel Studios Infinity Saga possible. I'd mention names, but there are too many.

Saw it last night.

Silvestri keeps being a misfire, once again we are presented with movie that deserves a way better OST. In IW I liked certain tracks like Porch, in here I can't think of anything now tbh, some of the quit moments I guess but he still is lost when scoring the big set pieces. Hope this was his last one and they move on. And hire someone who can develop that Avengers theme (not that ginger failure). Get Justin Hurwitz in there, got some great melodies in him.

I'm rarely into modern Silvestri but I gave this a listen this afternoon and was struck by the emotional quality of the score - this doesn't sound to me like a superhero score (yet.... the rest could be bang/crash/kitchen sink).

I won't be seeing the film so I'm going purely by the listening experience, and so far it's pretty damn good. Didn't expect to consider buying this!

Edit - this is reminding me a lot of Volcano. Probably why it's clicking - I really like that one.

There were definitely thematic nods to previous scores. I seem to remember material from Captain America's first film, and from Doctor Strange, among others. Its neat.

Wish the film was better...