Alan Silvestri's AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019)

45 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I loved Elfman's version of Silvestri's theme.  I understand why Silvestri just stuck with his original, but part of me wishes he'd picked back up the baton where Elfman left it.

I do agree. They would have never done that though. The scoring process, music mix and editing on Age of Ultron are all a massive disaster. I watched the film a couple of weeks back and it is surely the most miserable example of film music creative clusterfuck that I can remember. Editorially, it just doesn't make any sense: it just seems to jump around between the three composers every 10 seconds and they sound nothing alike. Perhaps it's for the best that the music is mixed so low that you can't really hear the score and, as a result, tell just how horribly put together it is. Such a waste of time for everyone involved. :( 

Karol

6 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

It's for sale on digital. Want a CD? Burn one. 

I can wait.

2 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

So wait. Don't spread misinformation. 

I didn't, I told the truth. The real cd is being released May 24th. If you can't  handle the truth be like Tom Cruise. Beside my new laptop did not come with a cd burner. 

You said it doesn't come out for a month. That's a lie. It's for sale now. It's not in the format that you and Jay like, but that's not Disney's problem. Facts are facts, pops. 

My laptop doesn't have an internal burner either. I bought a $30 external one so I can still rip CDs. Would you like a link? 

You're so old, shouldn't you still have a desktop from the dawn of CD burners? 

9 hours ago, xWxzek said:

You said it doesn't come out for a month. That's a lie. It's for sale now. It's not in the format that you and Jay like, but that's not Disney's problem. Facts are facts, pops. 

My laptop doesn't have an internal burner either. I bought a $30 external one so I can still rip CDs. Would you like a link? 

You're so old, shouldn't you still have a desktop from the dawn of CD burners? 

It isnt a lie fool. It goes on sale May 24th. FACT. Time for a new eye glass prescription. Maybe if you're lucky you'll live as long as me, if you're lucky.

Actually I do have a burner got it on sale for 17 bucks. 

It being added for sale on May 24 does nothing to diminish the fact that it is also for sale right now. 

I bought you a digital copy from Amazon so you don't have to wait!!!!  The account is iheartavengers@yahoo.com and the password is 1234

As a former password administrator at work i had people who needed 1234. I had to unlock a woman 10 times in one day. Thank God she retired.

13 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Excuse me misters, but do you have a moment to talk about how awesome It's Been a Long, Long Time is? I, for one, nearly jumped on my feet when it started blazing through the cinema speakers.

Music like this always makes me cry twice. First time as a reaction to it's beauty, and the second time after I have asked others if they had heard it... and they shrug

Of course, it is a beautiful song by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn, performed greatly by Harry James and his orchestra and sung beautifully by Kitty Kallen. I remember the first time it was heard in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. A delight that it was heard again in Avengers: Endgame.

I might be late to the game here, but I saw Endgame last night and after not giving any consideration to Silvestri's last Avengers scores (which were background fodder), it was a strange experience going into this film and for three blissful hours hearing a full-blooded symphonic orchestral score that a) I could hear and distinguish from the loud action sequences and b) that wasn't a gigantic mess of disconnected battle music, there were clear reprisals of themes! In places it truly reminded me of hearing a Williams' score in the crystal clear orchestration - bravo to whoever mixed and recorded the score and whoever mixed it into the film!

Was Silvestri saving this as a last Avengers hurrah?

My enthusiasm for the score has slowed slightly since first listening, but I largely think it's the length of the release which lets the odd moment of filler through.

I still find it surprising how non-superhero-like the first stretch of the score sounds.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I really, really like “The Real Hero”.

*Edit* I just listened to the end credits from Cast Away and oh my, they are disturbingly similar. Still love it though. 

From that track to the end of the album is great, if unoriginal. Go to YouTube or reddit though and people are lauding the crap out of this score, just like they do with every new Game of Thrones album. Don't get me wrong, both have their highlights for sure, but both are definitely overrated among the casual score listeners out there.

49 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Listening to a podcast where Williams’ sequel trilogy scores are being compared UNfavorably to Silvestri’s Endgame score.  Is it normal for my eye to keep twitching like this?

Hey, if they're comparing AotC with this score.... carry on. This one's way more entertaining.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Listening to a podcast where Williams’ sequel trilogy scores are being compared UNfavorably to Silvestri’s Endgame score.  Is it normal for my eye to keep twitching like this?

Before my father died, he told me that I had a half-sister... that he imprisoned in Hel. And then she returned home and stabbed me in the eye. So I had to kill her.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Its just your eye twitching?!

My whole body's convulsing and I'm only reading about it from your post.

@Disco Stu Not sure how it compares to the sequel scores, but even as someone who isn't too keen on Silvestri's Avengers' scores, I did notice that the score wasn't as generic and anonymous as it could have been. Still, the ST scores from Williams haven't yet been matched in thematic integrity and style, at least, not since The Hobbit scores, and perhaps Powell's HTTYD series!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh I like the Endgame score!  I just thought it was nuts to talk about how much better it is than TFA/TLJ scores.  Not even in the same league!

Indeed! The ST scores consistently thrash all other scores from their respective years! 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Indeed! The ST scores consistently thrash all other scores from their respective years! 

I'm not even a big fan of the sequel trilogy's scores, and I do like Silvestri's Endgame. But its still no contest.

Not to mention, I'll watch The Last Jedi ten times in a row before I'll watch Endgame again.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Sounds like you're listening to the wrong podcasts

The physical CD version is, indeed, shorter than the digital download version

1. Totally Fine
  2. Arrival
  3. Where Are They?
  4. Becoming Whole Again
  5. I Figured It Out
  6. Perfectly Not Confusing
  7. You Shouldn't Be Here
  8. The How Works
  9. One Shot
  10. Snap Out of It
  11. So Many Stairs
  12. Watch Each Other's Six
  13. I Can't Risk This
  14. He Gave It Away
  15. The Tool of a Thief
  16. The Measure of a Hero
  17. In Plain Sight
  18. Whatever It Takes
  19. Not Good
  20. I Was Made for This
  21. Tres Amigos
  22. Worth It
  23. Portals
  24. The One
  25. You Did Good
  26. The Real Hero
  27. Go Ahead
  28. Main on End

vs

01. Totally Fine (04:29)
02. Arrival (01:49)
03. No Trust (03:08)
04. Where Are They? (03:12)
05. Becoming Whole Again (03:48)
06. I Figured It Out (04:30)
07. Perfectly Not Confusing (04:46)
08. You Shouldn't Be Here (03:33)
09. The How Works (03:50)
10. Snap Out of It (02:24)
11. So Many Stairs (01:51)
12. One Shot (02:04)
13. Watch Each Other's Six (03:56)
14. I Can't Risk This (04:48)
15. He Gave It Away (03:42)
16. The Tool of a Thief (02:58)
17. The Measure of a Hero (03:05)
18. Destiny Fulfilled (04:05)
19. In Plain Sight (03:14)
20. How Do I Look? (02:06)
21. Whatever It Takes (02:56)
22. Not Good (01:53)
23. Gotta Get Out (02:38)
24. I Was Made for This (04:37)
25. Tres Amigos (03:37)
26. Tunnel Scape (03:16)
27. Worth It (04:15)
28. Portals (03:17)
29. Get This Thing Started (04:54)
30. The One (02:08)
31. You Did Good (01:57)
32. The Real Hero (05:54)
33. Five Seconds (01:45)
34. Go Ahead (02:56)
35. Main on End (03:11)

Looks like that cuts out ~25 mins which is probably just enough to keep it down to one CD.

Annoyingly, the CD is generally cheaper than buying in flac, but in this case you get less music.

In addition to having 7 less tracks, the remaining 28 tracks could be cut in spots.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

In addition to having 7 less tracks, the remaining 28 tracks could be cut in spots.

Yes the Infinity War one did that too.

By the way, HDtracks won't let me buy the Deluxe Edition of IW due to "region restrictions". Now I don't want to spend yet more money on a VPN I'll only use like once, so where else is it available in FLAC?