ALIEN: 40th Anniversary Shorts

A24

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its more a matter of invoking a certain mood than anything specific, I would say.

Absolutely. Mood is important. But the themes I mentioned above are so fundamental to all of us; and the traumas connected to them, that when they're 'sneakily' inserted into a film like ALIEN (the 'vagina' doors of the derelict spaceship, it's womb-like corridors, the 'phallos'-like inside mouth of the xenomorph, literally killing its prey by an act of penetration -- or how Goldsmith's score connects and mirrors these aspects in his organic score), it triggers something basic and uncomfortable in us that isn't just superficial story understanding related to the character's actions; or even the mood (fantastic as that is).

Ok so this wasn't so good. A pretty stale visual look. At least the first two tried to 'load' the images like you MUST in this universe (in your own way, whether you're Scott, Cameron, Fincher, Jeunet or fanboy directors). Also, is this just about facehuggers and chestbursters? I'm guessing the adult alien will surface in the last few shorts.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

They are not getting any better. 

Well, yes and no. This one is very adament about channeling the ALIENS tropes, but fares only moderately in that regard (they could have used more grain to properly capture them). However, it does pick up in the second half. Finally a glimpse of the fullgrown xenomorph. I think this was slightly better than the last film (although not as good as the first two).

Of course, a general problem with such shorts is that they're all expositions. The first film solved this excellently by going straight in, in-medias-res.

The last two suffer from amateurishness (and I'm not talking about production values). The one with the dog was the best one yet.

Geezes, that was absolutely godawful! Looks like something concocted by a group of media students at an average high school. Whoever made it, needs a course in camera movement and especially editing. Whazzap with the non-sensical rapid-fire fade editing during the tense moments?

But I guess at the center of it is a neat idea -- what if a facehugger was isolated with an android?

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Geezes, that was absolutely godawful!

It was, but the opening shots of the set were cool, and rather faithful to the design and style of the first film. They even tried to copy Giraud's spacesuits. Hehehe...

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It was, but the opening shots of the set were cool, and rather faithful to the design and style of the first film. They even tried to copy Giraud's spacesuits. Hehehe...

Sure, but why the super-fast, jittery panning shots when they've put so much effort into the design details?

That's what happens when a director is obviously the weakest link: he totally gets outmatched by his 'crew' (in this case, the art department). 

• 1 month later...

We apparently forgot to talk about the last one, "Harvest":

It might very well be the best of them, at least in terms of production design and effects. Gave me a taste for more.

• 2 months later...