Star Wars IX The Rise Of Skywalker TEASER MUSIC discussion

Jay

On 4/12/2019 at 12:19 PM, lemoncurd said:

just the Dies Irae motif that is used in Burning Homestead from STAR WAR (the cue that has been tracked into TFA when Rey catches the light saber in the forest).

By quoting a 5 day old post that has nothing to do with what Disco Stu said before you?

How so?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

By quoting a 5 day old post that has nothing to do with what Disco Stu said before you?

How so?

You think in such three-dimensional terms. How small you've become.

Hear me out on this one...the trailer composers are clearly giving us a hint about the film by blatantly quoting the TriStar Pictures logo theme at the end.

TriStar...Tri...Star, Three Starkillers. There will be 3 Starkiller bases in this film. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

How so?

Some of us do not read or care to read all the posts or all the threads and if I quote something from days ago it is clearly not in response to a current posting but likely the quoted post itself. A prudent man would/should know this or maybe not.

I understand that, but you didn't add any commentary to the quote that you quoted.  Your entire post consists only of the quote with nothing else.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone else notice that the 4 notes we hear during the title reveal are the same last 4 notes of the Columbia Pictures logo? 😂

OH GOSH THANK YOU

I created an account just to reply to this because this has been bugging me since the trailer launched. I could hear those notes so clearly and was convinced that it was the ending of a scene from the original trilogy, some transition piece that maybe even hinted at some hidden plot detail. But no, it's just Columbia. Disappointing, but immeasurably relieving. So, thank you!! :)

If she means the discussion is more measured and judicious here, then I agree.  As far as I'm aware, a trailer composer rarely has any insight into or knowledge of the film, so reading much into the music is just letting excitement run away with you.  Which is understandable, it's an exciting trailer.

21 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I feel icky when I see regular Star Wars fans talking about film music. It’s ewwww.

Not only do most of them not realize that Williams didn't write the trailer music, I'm pretty sure most would not even understand there's really a difference.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I feel icky when I see regular Star Wars fans talking about film music. It’s ewwww.

That's actually a great way to describe it.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

We got name-dropped on Twitter!

We're famous!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Not only do most of them not realize that Williams didn't write the trailer music, I'm pretty sure most would not even understand there's really a difference.

Dude, I love the song from the trailer! I hope it’s in the film! 

Just now, Bilbo said:

Dude, I love the song from the trailer! I hope it’s in the film! 

I appreciate their excitement, I really do.  It's great the films have scores that average fans even notice.  But yeah, I can't help cringing a little at times.  Maybe that makes me a snob!  I can't help it!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I appreciate their excitement, I really do.  It's great the films have scores that average fans even notice.  But yeah, I can't help cringing a little at times.  Maybe that makes me a snob!  I can't help it!

If it’s wrong I don’t want to be right!

I saw some YouTube video about a year ago where someone was complaining about the music when Leia is sucked out of the Raddus' bridge. He went so far as to make a shitty mockup of what he thought would work better; basically sounded like generic trailer music. Yuck.

5 minutes ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

Hi!, I'm in the she in question. You're more or less correct. Basically, the discussion of all SW music on twitter vs here is very different (for example, Rogue One's music is almost universally adored on SW twitter, but I get the impression that it is not well-loved here), but I've noticed it especially with trailers, where some on twitter often assume the trailer music is either written or chosen based on what is going to happen with the film's plot and themes. There's always a possibility that there's some direction or input from directors, etc but even if that were the case, it's probably not as significant as it's interpreted to be. A lot of people there are looking for any hint or clue to those things in marketing, which is understandable, but has some interesting results at this stage.

It can be pretty fun to follow the discussions too!  Even if it’s all a bit silly!

Some people do get just a little bit too carried away though.

1 hour ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

There's always a possibility that there's some direction or input from directors, etc but even if that were the case, it's probably not as significant as it's interpreted to be.

I believe JJ said a few years back that he was not at all involved in any of the trailers besides the first teaser. Apparently the editors were asked to send in several random clips to a trailer house, and they'd literally take care of the rest. A lot of people on social media seem to not realize that. I think I remember Rian mentioning that on Twitter as well. If there's one thing you're absolutely correct about, it's that there is a pretty noticeable contrast between the more "casual" fans (and some of the more hardcore fans as well) and people like us, who dissect everything.

I find it hard to believe that JJ’s not involved in the trailer.  But I guess he’s got plenty on his plate getting the movie finished in time.  I think he said in an interview there’s three months less post-production with TROS than with TFA

2 hours ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

A lot of people there are looking for any hint or clue to those things in marketing, which is understandable, but has some interesting results at this stage.

I thought the TLJ trailer music was interesting. 3 TFA themes were used prominently in the teaser, then the theatrical trailer actually used the ostinato from The Spark months before the score was released (but months after that cue was recorded). 

I speculated at the time, given the score's completion, and Disney's insistence on using Star Wars music in their marketing, that this ostinato might be a fragment of TLJ's score and that proved correct. 

The main difference with TROS is that Williams hasn't started writing the score, let alone recorded it, so there's little musical insight to be found in this particular teaser. The music itself appears to be an unused marketing track from TFA anyway.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The main difference with TROS is that Williams hasn't started writing the score, let alone recorded it, so there's little musical insight to be found in this particular teaser. The music itself appears to be an unused marketing track from TFA anyway.

I guarantee he's written at least some of the score. They just haven't recorded it yet.

17 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I guarantee he's written most of the score. They just haven't recorded it yet.

What makes you say that? Even Matessino said Williams probably wouldn't start working on it until the summer. 

It's a shame there's no concerts going on at the moment because we might get an update from Williams on the status of his score. I liked that anecdote about scoring TLJ he kept telling. 

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What makes you say that? Even Matessino said Williams probably wouldn't start working on it until the summer.  

It's a shame there's no concerts going on at the moment because we might get an update from Williams on the status of his score. I liked that anecdote about scoring TLJ he kept telling. 

With recording sessions likely happening in the summer, I'm sure he's written something by now. I assume MM was referring to the sessions, not the writing itself.

11 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

With recording sessions likely happening in the summer, I'm sure he's written something by now. I assume MM was referring to the sessions, not the writing itself.

Would definitely be nice to have clarification,  there's a hell of a difference between writing and recording. 

I still think May/June is manageable for a writing start date. JW might prefer to record the whole score in one batch for JJ this time, after what happened with TFA.

JW: What's that, JJ Baby? You need thirty-seven cues revised from last week's sessions? What a shame the film's out next week and we left ourselves no time for revisions... 

JJ: But I changed the edit!

*car tires screeching out front, fresh skid marks trailing away from JW's parking spot*

I'd be very surprised if Williams hasn't been shown a rough cut by now and started writing.  Maybe he's not doing concerts right now because he intended to spend most of his time during these months writing TROS? 

If MM's "summer" remark is to be taken literally, the summer season officially starts June 21 and I doubt they will wait that long to start talking about the music.  

I have a very strong feeling he’s starting to write now, considered he finished the project with ASM and that he’s not conducting or attending in Boston next month.

It would be very cool if he spent the next few months just writing the new themes and end credits suite, before starting the score proper. It makes sense to wait until a more finalised edit of the film is ready.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

It would be very cool if he spent the next few months just writing the new themes and end credits suite, before starting the score proper. It makes sense to wait until a more finalised edit of the film is ready.

That probably takes him about a week!😁