Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker TEASER Discussion

Jay

15 minutes ago, dougie said:

There'll probably be a drawn out tent scene where Rey and Finn dance, they're about to kiss and go... "nah" gestures and walk off.

At least a cool Nick Cave song will be playing in the background.  I don't think we've heard any Nick Cave songs in Star Wars yet

55 minutes ago, dougie said:

So it sounds like the plot to this was lifted from A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, where they had to find Freddy's bones and destroy them with holy water. Maybe we'll find out Palpy's mum was a nun.

Imagine if Batman killed the Joker and then spread his bones all over the city. What a buncha shit!

5 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

UNUSUALLY sexy?! It'd be unusual if Daisy Ridley wasn't sexy, you nimrod!

Hmm don't you think sometimes she looks a bit... butch in these movies? She just looked a bit more feminine in those trailer shots.

3 minutes ago, dougie said:

Hmm don't you think sometimes she looks a bit... butch in these movies? She just looked a bit more feminine in those trailer shots.

If you don't think butch is sexy, you and I ain't got nuthin' to say to each other.

Just now, Jay said:

This is the worst shot in the trailer because who gives a frack about his stupid helmet

ep9-ff-000013.jpg

Kylo Ren's mask has actually been a bit of talking point, no? The whole outfit was like a Vader wannabe thing that he smashed when Snoke rebuked him for his failures. His decision to reforge it says something about where his character is going to turn in this next episode.

Just now, Jay said:

Would be better if he forged a new one of of the real Vader helmet he has in his bedroom

But that gets confusing. Why didn't he just do that in the first place?

Anyways, how about Palpatine? Whimsically exciting sneak peek!

Just now, Fabulin said:

Do you see how the back of it resembles Vader's mask more?

True, maybe it's one big combo!

The title is awful.

The teaser was visually interesting though.

Rey doing a Matrix jump was terrible. Do we need to make her more into an untouchable mary sue superhero?

No Rose in the teaser = brilliant.

What looks like a crashed part of the death star is an interesting concept. That is perhaps the Emperor's 'fortress of solitude,' where they must go to face him.

J.J. is clearly retconing everything Rian did in TLJ. This looks like a sequel to TFA, not TLJ. He remade Kylo's mask, will inevitably reveal Rey's true parents as someone important. The Emperor will be the big 'overseer' not Snoke. Luke returns. Etc.

I'm typically not one to theorize, and I like to go into movies just experiencing them.  Still, here's my two sentence interpretation (theory?) of the title/trailer.

Palpatine will have figured out the whole force ghost thing, and that is how he will be "back."  "The Rise of Skywalker" will be from his dialogue - as hinted at in Episode III (and again in recent Vader comics, fyi), he began the force sensitive Skywalker bloodline.

Hopefully the make-up will be better/less mask-like than ROTS - or they'll at least just use some lady's face with monkey features.

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is the worst shot in the trailer because who gives a frack about his stupid helmet

I started to get into a Twitter argument with a nerd girl who wanted to know why the new poster showed Ren with the same helmet with the same battle damage as before it was smashed. I bowed out because I didn't care. 

This shot single handedly answers that question. 

With Palpatine being back, that makes Vaders sacrifice and redemption in ROTJ seem pointless. He killed Palpatine to save his son, but his son became a miserable old man who died because he ran out of force battery, and then Palpatine just came back...

So Disney are now trying to destroy the meaning and power of the original trilogy. Thanks Kathleen. Thanks Rian. Thanks J.J.

21 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I hope though that it is only a training exercise (the "enemy" is not firing?)

Nah, I'm pretty sure that's Palpatine chasing her down because he wants Anakin's super important Kyber crystal in her saber.

The more I think about this teaser, the stupider it is in my mind.

The title, the Leia hugging Rey shot from The Force Awakens with a CG backdrop, the Palpatine cackling over black as a stinger, the helmet. Lando flying the Falcon again seems nicer than I thought, though. The music (no one dare claim this is Williams) butchers, of all things, Leia's theme.

I guess that's what happens when you rush to churn a teaser out.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

The more I think about this teaser, the stupider it is in my mind.

The Leia hugging Rey shot with a CG backdrop, the Palpatine cackling over black as a stinger, the helmet.

But I thought you said we shouldn't think about films too much, and just let it wash over us...