CD deficiencies

Bayesian

I've come to lament the various ways that the default physical format for music -- the CD -- is frustratingly deficient in terms of how they're packaged. Allow me to list some of the less-than satisfactory experiences I've regularly endured over the years:

• Broken teeth in the tray
  • Cracked jewel cases
  • Warped cases (especially with hard-to-replace 3- and 4-cd boxes)
  • Lids that don't properly latch and swing right open
  • "Peel-away" sealing stickers along the stop edge that never peel away cleanly and leave behind that sticky residue or little bits of sticker
  • Plastic pull strips on the outer plastic shrink-wrap whose ends can never seem to be found
  • That same shrink-wrap whose edges are glued down so tight you need scissors or a pushpin to slice it open, and even then removing the wrap is an ordeal half the time
  • The overall cheap look and feel of today's jewel cases (oh how I miss the 80s versions)
  • The often impossible-to-slip-out liner notes
  • Easily-snapped hinges

I sometimes get the urge to go to a used-media store and look for old CDs in the bargain bin that I can strip for the cases, and then use those cases for all the discs in my collection -- even the new releases. Anyone else feel the same way?

Broken and cracked cases are the greatest evils here since they can damage the actual disc. Getting the liner notes out is a great hassle, the front page always gets stuck down, then it either crumples from you trying to peel it up or it bumps into the bits holding it in and gets destroyed.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm surprised they never made CD cases out of more flexible plastic. Maybe the softners aren't good for the discs?

I've heard even the paper and ink on the booklets aren't good for the discs.

Also these new cardboard sleeves that scratch the discs on removal. My Hobbit AUJ SE got scratched after just one usage, and I was super careful when removing and reinserting the discs. Who thought that was a good idea?