SPOILER TALK: Avengers: Endgame

John

3 hours ago, karelm said:

A few questions, was Nova in the Stark/Ironman funeral line up scene?  She should have been since she was one of the biggest heroes since she killed her younger self and i don't recall seeing her as they panned through all the old characters at Stark's funeral. 

Nebula? She was there with the other Guardians.

I don’t think Gamora was in there though. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I want it to be all about Thor!

I want Thor to find a new home for the Asgardians, a better one than taking over a fishing village in Norway!

They could've done what the aliens in Valerian did and create a whole world in a ship floating through space.

It was alright, but it unfortunately went in the direction of The Prequels, of presenting characters without giving them any depth or dimensionality. It felt hollow and fake and all the creative elements suffered because of it.

11 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Nebula? She was there with the other Guardians.

I don’t think Gamora was in there though. 

Yeah, I meant Nebula.  I didn't see her and just thought she should be there.  I always liked her character.

So one other thing I missed.  Half of all life was erased but during the final combat all the "vanished" heroes come out of nowhere?  That could have been set up better.  I didn't get why they suddenly showed up for the fight.  How did Captain Marvel know the moment to appear and wait for that moment?  Where was Samuel L. Jackson before the funeral? 

11 minutes ago, karelm said:

ow did Captain Marvel know the moment to appear and wait for that moment?

Captain Marvel here was basically deus-ex-marvelia. She was in the beginning, disappeared, and came back at the end.

To be fair, its a good movie moment when she goes through the ship.

Saw the movie the other night and thought it was great.  Full of really satisfying emotional pay-offs, I even got a bit choked up at several parts (and for characters I didn't even care about until this movie (helped by the fact that the movie has much stronger emotional beats than any of the previous films)). 

The music had some great moments too (the two new themes Portals and the "goodbye theme" from The Real Hero).  Captain Marvel is fucking annoying

19 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Captain Marvel is fucking annoying

This is the twenty-first century. You are not allowed to hate women. 

Except the women who need abortions. You are legally encouraged to hate them. 

I finally saw this movie and I have to say I was not impressed.

1. The score was okay. I expected more from Alan Silvestri and I guess the film itself may have presented less opportunities for music than his other films like the Back to the Future films. Although, I have to admit that the Avengers main theme soars in this film. 

2. Certain relationships were sidelined. I was a fan of the Captain America movies and I really liked Steve and Bucky's relationship. I thought their friendship was nuanced and rare. I did not expect these last two Avengers movies to revert their dynamic back to the typical 'hero-and-his-chubby-sidekick' pairing, given the fact that Steve had just spent 2.5 movies 'saving' his friend. I can now confirm that Bucky is basically like Thor's hammer. He's a human MacGuffin and he's going to appear in 4 more movies as a MacGuffin. 

3. The good guys were invincible I liked it, because it's a popcorn flick. But, Captain Marvel was too ridiculously strong. I feel like she could've shrunken the entire movie into a 5-minute mini film.

4. Poor Bucky, Steve went back in time and he chose to dance with Peggy. I'm with you till the end of the line. Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky

Clearly Marvel was long out of character before Endgame.:) 3.5/5

That was in India, where they worship cows and eat bugs and push jewelry into their heads. Let them whoop de whoop their movie. They're just happy to not be answering Dell tech support requests. 

On 5/21/2019 at 1:08 PM, A Ghost From Highwood said:

2. Certain relationships were sidelined. I was a fan of the Captain America movies and I really liked Steve and Bucky's relationship. I thought their friendship was nuanced and rare. I did not expect these last two Avengers movies to revert their dynamic back to the typical 'hero-and-his-chubby-sidekick' pairing, given the fact that Steve had just spent 2.5 movies 'saving' his friend. I can now confirm that Bucky is basically like Thor's hammer. He's a human MacGuffin and he's going to appear in 4 more movies as a MacGuffin. 

The Avengers films are too overstuffed to really deal with relationship stuff from other films in the MCU beyond a level required for the plot.

The Cap/Bucky arc was already kinda thinned down by the time they got to Civil War, a film that does a lot of heavy lifting to prep for Avengers 3 and 4. 

The Winter Soldier is a character that ultimately, didn't really go anywhere. I don't think the general audience particularly cared about him anyway. So i cant blame Marvel for not doing much more with him.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:08 AM, A Ghost From Highwood said:

I can now confirm that Bucky is ... a human MacGuffin 

I literally said the exact same thing!

On 4/30/2019 at 4:53 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

Bucky has never been a character. He's basically a human MacGuffin.

And yet when I said it, you treated my post with a "sad" smiley.

Screenshot (2).png

That was a huge problem for me with the previous two Captain America movies. The need to bring back/keep safe Bucky never registered with me. And indeed when he evaporated in Infinity War it was like *monotone* Oh no, not Bucky...*monotone*

And generally, I like Marvel for their brand of humour, rather than their attempts at earnst drama or exhilirating action setpieces.

All of the characters by Endgame were reduced to self parodies, elastic and vague enough that theu could fit into any scene.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Avengers films are too overstuffed to really deal with relationship stuff from other films in the MCU beyond a level required for the plot.

The Cap/Bucky arc was already kinda thinned down by the time they got to Civil War, a film that does a lot of heavy lifting to prep for Avengers 3 and 4. 

The Winter Soldier is a character that ultimately, didn't really go anywhere. I don't think the general audience particularly cared about him anyway. So i cant blame Marvel for not doing much more with him.

It should've been called Avengers: Civil War! 

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

The whole concept of "superhero vs. superhero" is stupid.

Especially since the central conflict that divides them isnt anything deeply personal. It's a fan servicy, jokey fightscene.

Before they get to the Peter Parker introduction, Civil War is actually pretty good, and consistent in tone with The Winter Soldier.