SPOILER TALK: Avengers: Endgame

John

There are already films shooting on 8K digital.

When they reach 10K, you could shoot a film digitally and than print the non-effects-laden shots unto an IMAX print and get something that'll blow Nolan's socks off.

UHD photography is more for vistas than it is for closeups, anyway. In a medium closeup, 2K digital is often enough to see individual hairs.

Its also a matter of screen-size, obviously. What looks good on your average theater, isn't going to look quite as good on Sydney's huge IMAX screen.

8 minutes ago, The Original said:

Will big nods happen for Avengers: Endgame?

I should hope not. That battle at the end is dreadful.

I could see Feige getting some kind of special achievement Oscar for the interconnected universe, though. Although I still think that a more traditional "cycle" of films is more rewarding than an anthology such as this one.

It was a very fine popcorn flick. They weren't trying to make high art here. The Marvel battles have never been interesting.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Chen, what exactly did you hate about it? It wasn't extraordinary. The Russo's actually don't do massive battles that well. But it wasn't terrible.

The Oscar for best not terrible film goes to...

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Chen, what exactly did you hate about it? It wasn't extraordinary. The Russo's actually don't do massive battles that well. But it wasn't terrible.

Maybe I was coming off a bit too harsh. It wasn't a travesty or anything, but it was too busy, too long, too uneventful (it didn't have a feeling of twists and turns happening throughout the battle), the staging was beyond bland, the character of Thanos turned into yet another standard Marvel villain in terms of motivation and demeanour.

There wasn't much in the way of stakes, either: When Thanos rips-off Longshanks, it does NOTHING to any of the heroes; and there's a moment where Strange and Stark converse upon this battle being the future that Strange saw them winning at.

I thought the film was very strong up to that point, so the battle felt like a bigger step down than in most Marvel movies, by  comparison.

Wasn't much at state. You should be joking but you are not I know. 

Nothing at stake. That's hilarious. 

Just now, Stefancos said:

Joss Whedon did better massive battles.

Not really it looked like Transformers 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Joss Whedon did better massive battles.

Yes, partially because he staged them in urban areas which allowed the characters to interact with and utilize the environment in the course of the scene.

What a pathetic argument. 

Thor isn't someone who was fat for so long that it became his identity. He just recently became fat because it's an easy and clichéd way to show his depression about his failure to prevent the Decimation. In the context of this funny film, it's also funny. The film also shows his anxiety and self-doubt that manifest as alcoholism, especially when he'd rather raid Odin's wine cellar. 

Look, if someone has been fat for so long that they don't seem to make any effort to lose that weight, then it's their identity. Don't shame them for it. We're talking Roseanne Barr, Rebel Wilson, George Wendt, Melissa McCarthy, etc. These people know they're overweight, they don't care, and they don't want to hear your opinion. 

But the Norse god of thunder is not beyond redemption. He can be saved with a little bit of motivation and hard work, and poking fun at his dad bod is part of that motivation. 

Hopefully the Asgardians of the Galaxy put his character and ab development back on the right track 

Uh oh sorry woj!  I edited my post because I had decided I didn’t wanna send any clicks to the stupid article!  The only way to combat terrible clickbait op-eds is to not share them.  They feed on shares.

But yes it was a terrible, over sensitive argument.

And as I said in that post, I thought the humor enhanced the emotions of Thor’s arc, not undermined them.

I'm with @Chen G. I thought the end battle sucked - it was like they needed an obligatory battle to end it all with a CG portal to open with more faceless fodder to distract the heroes. 

When Thanos descended from his ship and his army swarmed in it looked exactly like Ready Player One, like a video game. It all looked so fake!

images (88).jpeg

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

I'm with @Chen G. I thought the end battle sucked - it was like they needed an obligatory CG portal to open with more faceless fodder to distract the heroes. 

When Thanos descended from his ship and his army swarmed in it looked exactly like Ready Player One, like a video game. It all looked so fake!

Yeah it could've been better.  But I was still immersed in the emotions of the characters, so it didn't actively detract from the experience for me.

50 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm with @Chen G. I thought the end battle sucked - it was like they needed an obligatory battle to end it all with a CG portal to open with more faceless fodder to distract the heroes. 

images (88).jpeg

Yeah the RP1 vibe bothered me too.

That had another CGI battle with forces charging at each other in a seemingly apocalyptic wasteland. 

The Endgame end battle was great. It was essential that it looked like the heroes were going to win but then the table is turned. It is an established story convention because it happens in real life (Battle of Midway). It also made the point that Titan was much more than just a man whose power was all in the glove. It was a great and satisfying ending.

I thought the story elements were fine, just the feeling of 'here we go again' for another battle that didn't add anything to Thanos' character and effectively was a detriment to the nuanced character we were shown in Infinity War. I would've been happy to just see the fight between, Tony, Thor and Captain America (like it was in the beginning) and to not have a CG horde enter for the rest of the Avengers to do something.

I am glad the Russo brothers were in charge rather than people here. 

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

I would've been happy to just see the fight between him, Tony, Thor and Captain America (like it was in the beginning) and to not have a CG horde enter for the rest of the Avengers to do something.

To be fair, though, when all the other characters arrive, its a damn good movie moment.

As for the fight with Thanos, I actually would have liked it if the Avengers had to fight some minions first, rather than fight Thanos for 30-minutes. You can't have your climactic showdown be that long.

So it is as I feared (or hoped). So was the case with Days of future past so hopefully this will have a similar result. But -

the time travel of this movie does eventually add up. But relies on some preposterously convoluted contrivances. So much so that it wouldn’t be readily apparent to anyone until explained. I would call it inelegant. But I will give it to them that it does add up. It still is extremely questionable but at least there is an explanation of how it works. But narratively it is still pretty problematic.

that was the thing with days of future past. It takes pretzel logic to explain it. But I did come to admire it in the end. I hope I can like this film too one day.

azkaban remains the most sophisticated use of time travel in a recent blockbuster film.

20 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

So it is as I feared (or hoped). So was the case with Days of future past so hopefully this will have a similar result. But -

the time travel of this movie does eventually add up. But relies on some preposterously convoluted contrivances. So much so that it wouldn’t be readily apparent to anyone until explained. I would call it inelegant. But I will give it to them that it does add up. It still is extremely questionable but at least there is an explanation of how it works. But narratively it is still pretty problematic.

that was the thing with days of future past. It takes pretzel logic to explain it. But I did come to admire it in the end. I hope I can like this film too one day.

azkaban remains the most sophisticated use of time travel in a recent blockbuster film.

Scratch that. After thinking a bit more about the explanation, I see yet more problems. Yeah, it doesn't add up.

17 hours ago, xWxzek said:

What a pathetic argument. 

Thor isn't someone who was fat for so long that it became his identity. He just recently became fat because it's an easy and clichéd way to show his depression about his failure to prevent the Decimation. In the context of this funny film, it's also funny. The film also shows his anxiety and self-doubt that manifest as alcoholism, especially when he'd rather raid Odin's wine cellar. 

Look, if someone has been fat for so long that they don't seem to make any effort to lose that weight, then it's their identity. Don't shame them for it. We're talking Roseanne Barr, Rebel Wilson, George Wendt, Melissa McCarthy, etc. These people know they're overweight, they don't care, and they don't want to hear your opinion. 

But the Norse god of thunder is not beyond redemption. He can be saved with a little bit of motivation and hard work, and poking fun at his dad bod is part of that motivation. 

Hopefully the Asgardians of the Galaxy put his character and ab development back on the right track 

"Thor puts the ass in Asguardians of the Galaxy"

I bet you Quill says that in GotG3. 

9 hours ago, The Original said:

In the last movie, why did everyone's clothes turn to dust too?

So that Endgame is still rated PG-13 when they show up in the final battle.