Favorite MCU Composer

Dr. Rick

Who's your favorite MCU composer (MCU movies only, not overall career)  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Choices...

• Craig Armstrong (Hulk)
    • Ramin Djawadi (Iron Man)
    • John Debney (Iron Man 2)
    • Alan Silvestri (Captain America, The Avengers, Infinity War, Endgame)
    • Patrick Doyle (Thor)
    • Brian Tyler (Iron Man 3, Thor Dark World, Avengers Ultron)
    • Danny Elfman (Avengers Ultron)
    • Henry Jackman (Captain America Winter Soldier, Civil War)
    • Tyler Bates (Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2)
    • Christophe Beck (Ant-Man 1 & 2)
    • Michael Giacchino (Doctor Strange, Spider-Man Homecoming & Far From Home)
    • Mark Mothersbaugh (Thor Ragnarok)
    • Ludwig Goransson (Black Panther)
    • Pinar Toprak (Captain Marvel)

Thought I would put together this poll now that Endgame is out and folks have had a chance to listen to the score.  Who is your favorite MCU composer (with regards to their MCU contributions only, not overall career)?  I'm going to lean toward Beck, Tyler, and Giacchino with their catchy main themes, but there are others that I enjoy listening to as well.  

3 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Who is your favorite MCU composer

Well....

3 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

(with regards to their MCU contributions only, not overall career)

Oh.  Then Giacchino easily.  Spider-man is fantastic!

I’d vote for Silvestri, Beck and Goransson if I could select more than one. 

Since I can’t, I voted for Giacchino only.

Best overall career for me would be Danny Elfman, of course, but you didn't ask for that (I also find his ULTRON a noisy mess). So I'd have to go for Doyle's THOR, which I consider the best in the saga. To the extent I care about the scores to these films in the first place (which isn't much).

1. Michael Giacchino

2. Alan Silvestri

3. Brian Tyler

I voted Giacchino because of Spider-man: Homecoming (and hopefully Far From Home too!).

Silvestri definitely comes second for Infinity War and Endgame.

Tyler slides in at third for Iron Man and Thor.

Honorable mention to Beck (I like the Ant-Man scores- they're fun), Goransson (for Black Panther, but I believe he also scored Venom [not sure if MCU...]) and Elfman for the collaboration with Tyler on Age of Ultron, which I listened to this afternoon and loved.

10 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Giacchino wins based on Dr.Strange theme alone (which really is the only great theme).

I agree with Hans!

1 hour ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Giacchino wins based on Dr.Strange theme alone (which really is the only great theme).

I dispute that. I would be able to recognize several themes - 

Silvestri's Captain America Theme

Silvestri's Avengers Theme

Doyle's Thor Theme

Tyler's Thor Theme

Giacchino's Spiderman Theme

Giacchino's Dr. Stange Theme

Toprak's Captain Marvel Theme

I am going to go out on a leftfield and vote for Thor as well. It is probably the most nuanced and sophisticated score in MCU. 

I have a hard time identifying the MCU themes especially because a lot of them start to sound the same to me. If anyone has a kind of catalogue they can share that'd be appreciated, just so I know what people are talking about.

I only really know the Avengers theme, the Spider-man theme, and I think the Captain America theme.

21 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I dispute that. I would be able to recognize several themes - 

Silvestri's Captain America Theme 

Silvestri's Avengers Theme

Doyle's Thor Theme 

Tyler's Thor Theme

Giacchino's Spiderman Theme

Giacchino's Dr. Stange Theme

Toprak's Captain Marvel Theme 

I am going to go out on a leftfield and vote for Thor as well. It is probably the most nuanced and sophisticated score in MCU. 

Either your hearing is in great condition and mine fucked or their output generally has been waste.

Honestly I couldn't tell any one of those except the Strange theme and maybe Avengers because I've heard it so much. Most of them sound like trailer music. Bland, generic, forgettable. Whatever it is, I just do not care about any of it.

1 hour ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Either your hearing is in great condition and mine fucked or their output generally has been waste.

Honestly I couldn't tell any one of those except the Strange theme and maybe Avengers because I've heard it so much. Most of them sound like trailer music. Bland, generic, forgettable. Whatever it is, I just do not care about any of it.

As I've said before I think the Marvel scores took a turn for the better post-Civil War.  Prior to that I like the Avengers theme, the original Cap theme, and the Ant-Man theme.  I've never liked the two Tyler themes as much as others, they're very shallow/surfacey to me.  Didn't make for good underscore.  The scores I most wish were better are the two Guardians ones.  I don't understand how Bates has any fans at all honestly.

I do however agree that Doctor Strange has the best theme.  And anyway I got to say "I agree with Hans!" above which was just fun.

Beck's Ant-Man scores don't really go beyond the main theme, the secondary theme, and some up-beat action music, but they're fun anyways. It seems like most of the Marvel scores are like this: main theme (often forgettable), possible secondary theme (very forgettable), and filler action music (often).