What is your favorite animated film?

John

What is your favorite animated film? Whether it be traditionally animated, computer generated, or stop motion, I feel the medium of animation isn’t discussed much around here and I’d like to here your thoughts on it. 

I own 5 animated films so far: a great boxset of 2 great, 1 good and 1 OK film, local classics, and Yellow Submarine. So, that was the priority.

Bambi is still the best for me, never been equaled.  The characters are so full of life and the painted, layered backgrounds are breathtaking.  The film has a soul that I haven't found in any other animated film to that degree.  See that film on bluray if you can, my jaw is just always hung open in disbelief when it's on.

I do love Miyazaki, but I have a hard time picking one as the accomplishment to single out.  I've seen Totoro more times than I can count, it's my daughter's favorite movie.

That's a terribly difficult question. There are so many. And so many I have a nostalgic connection to. Maybe THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, if I had to choose just one? Or FANTASIA?

I don't really have just one. I have several.

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I do love Miyazaki, but I have a hard time picking one as the accomplishment to single out.  I've seen Totoro more times than I can count, it's my daughter's favorite movie.

Miyazaki is a master. Spirited Away is one of the best movies ever made, animated or otherwise. 

27 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't know about my favorite drawn or CGI animation film, but my favorite stop motion animation is probably Chicken Run.

Ooh, that’s a great one. My favorite Aardman movie. 

Fantastic Mr Fox, though Kubo and the Two Strings, Isle of Dogs, and Chicken Run are up there as well. 

Snow White is the one I hold closest, that and Wizard of Oz were my first favorite movies and still love them. 

The first five Disneys are really very special for all kinds of reasons. 

Don Hertzfeldt’s movies are stunning to me, so crude and poetic, irreverent, hilarious, magical. His only feature is sort of a cheat (the It’s Such a Beautiful Day anthology) but great.

Actually most of my favorite animated films are shorts just because they have that leeway to be more experimental. Could look at Frederic Back’s films all day, lovely illustrative style. Norman McLaren and Jan Svankmajer’s films are beautiful and weird. Yuriy Norshteyn’s Tale of Tales is a masterpiece. 

Also the South Park movie rules. And Kasey beat me to Allegro Non Troppo, the dirty sexual/political Fantasia.

Followed by the likes of Ichabod & Mr Toad, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Little Mermaid, Nightmare Before Christmas, Toy Story, Kiki’s Delivery Service and Land Before Time.

4 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Kiki’s Delivery Service

I tend to prefer earlier pre-Mononoke Miyazaki, and yeah Kiki is a masterpiece.

I don't want to come across as harsh on later Miyazaki, I love them all.  But Nausicaa to Kiki is a run of four perfect movies for me.

:love2:

Nausicaa-poster-featured-1200x676.jpg

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

TROLLS

How do you feel about the Gnomeo & Juliet - Sherlock Gnomes one-two punch?  Greatest since the first two Godfathers?

The Gnomeo Cinematic Universe is surprisingly strong, but it could all fall apart if they don't stick the landing with "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Gnome."

If it’s received well; they might even move forward with the upcoming sequel, Star Trek V: The Final Front Lawn. 

Bambi will always hold the top spot- it will not be overtaken, especially not in this era of cinema.

I've always had a soft spot for The Aristocats, one of my favourite Disney Classics.

In terms of computer animation, Toy Story and Finding Nemo are at the top.

For stop motion, obviously Chicken Run. It's very clever and is really enjoyable for all ages in my opinion.

There are probably a few more, but I haven't seen those in ages. I'll see if I can dig up some of the hold VHS tapes and recall.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Spirited Away

Good one, The Living Castle is another one from the same director that I really like.

The Living Castle?

Are you talking about Castle in the Sky?

Or Howl's Moving Castle?

Tough choice for me, as there are so many excellent ventures in animation.

It probably has to be The Lion King or The Nightmare Before Christmas in terms of childhood favorites.

I’m also extremely fond of Fantastic Mr. Fox, Ratatouille, The Road To El Dorado, Antz, Chicken Run, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Horton Hears A Who!

Beauty and the Beast, and Hunchback of Notre Dame.

9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Bambi is pretty nigh impossible to top.

For CGI, Finding Nemo probably takes the cake.

I hate to break it to you but I found Nemo, sorry.

download.jpeg.jpg