The A.R. Rahman Thread

Thor

Couldn't find any previous thread on the "Mozart of Madras" -- the biggest Indian music export this side of Ravi Shankar.

I create this now because I've pocket reviewed one of his latest, BEYOND THE CLOUDS:

http://celluloidtunes.no/beyond-the-clouds-a-r-rahman/

But I'm game for any and all Rahman discussion. I have 25 albums of his.

I don’t know any of his work, unfortunately. Which 5 scores of his would you recommend to a neophyte to get acquainted?

Oh my God, two replies! I had never expected that!

I'll return with recommandations tomorrow, when I've sobered up.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Couldn't find any previous thread on the "Mozart of Madras" -- the biggest Indian film export this side of Ravi Shankar.

I create this now because I've pocket reviewed one of his latest, BEYOND THE CLOUDS:

http://celluloidtunes.no/beyond-the-clouds-a-r-rahman/

But I'm game for any and all Rahman discussion. I have 25 albums of his.

I wouldn’t call Ravi Shankar an Indian film music export.

No, but his collaborations and "fusion" stuff largely created the aesthetic for the Indian film music of his time.

Rahman is obviously a super talented bloke. But I've had the sense he's been coasting for some time now...

Will share some stuff I like soon.

Cheers for starting this thread Thor!

He's an extra-ordinarily gifted man - in terms of melody atleast. Rahman is what is most wonderful about India - he is the embodiment of secularism and the broad coalitions of cultures that can unite behind great art. Rahman, a Muslim, is a beloved hero in a 80% majority Hindu country. He's from Southern India in a country dominated by Northern Indian grip over popular culture. Yet he abides and succeeds like no one before him. He exposes a majority Hindu country to Muslim styles and influences - in his music sufi music and islamic traditions co-exist with the sitar and Indian classical music, he exposes the northern indians to the wonderful southern languages and the southern indians to Punjabi music and other trends. He has assimilated all of India's diversity within him, he belongs to all parts of India and is loved by all parts of India. And he unites a diverse country in the appreciation of great music and great art. The service this man does to the great cause of tolerance cannot be over-stated. See him and appreciate him in the context of where he comes from and you will see his genius and his contribution.

With that I will kick off the recommendations from what is arguably his greatest melody - the theme from Bombay. And I don't just love it because it is about my hometown but because of its beauty and grace.

I like his score for the movie Viceroy’s House from 2017.

It’s a western-style score (albeit highlighted by traditional Indian instruments) written for a full symphony orchestra and choir.

The album features a lot if beautiful music; it’s heavy on the strings, very lighthearted, easygoing, perhaps a bit sentimental in execution.

My picks on the album would be, if you’d like to sample it or just create a nice suite, this 23 min selection:

Viceroy’s House (2:39)

Limerence (1:39)

Two Broken Hearts (3:13)

The Birth of Two Nations (3:29)

Exodus (4:04)

Jeet Finds Alia (3:03)

The Cost of Freedom (5:07)

It’s a bit heavy on the tracks featuring the love theme, but hey, I’m a lover, not a fighter. If you just want to listen to one track, go for The Cost of Freedom.

https://youtu.be/EK42eHAYf8Y

14 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I wouldn’t call Ravi Shankar an Indian film music export.

You're right. That should have said music export, not film export. I've edited the post accordingly. Although Shankar did score movies too, of course, most prominently the Apu trilogy by Satyjajit Ray.

12 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

With that I will kick off the recommendations from what is arguably his greatest melody - the theme from Bombay. And I don't just love it because it is about my hometown but because of its beauty and grace.

Yes, the BOMBAY theme is gorgeous, and the film really great (I have it on DVD, and often use it in lectures I hold on Indian cinema). For that matter, I love the whole 'terrorist' trilogy by Mani Ratnam, and Rahman's scores for them. Both ROJA (his debut score) and DIL SE, I consider classics, in addition to BOMBAY, obviously.

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

He also had a hand in the song Spike Lee used for his Dog Day Afternoon homage opening in Inside Man.

That's one of his most iconic songs, from the film Dil Se. Did he have a hand in this remix?

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

54 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, the BOMBAY theme is gorgeous, and the film really great (I have it on DVD, and often use it in lectures I hold on Indian cinema). For that matter, I love the whole 'terrorist' trilogy by Mani Ratnam, and Rahman's scores for them. Both ROJA (his debut score) and DIL SE, I consider classics, in addition to BOMBAY, obviously.

His best work usually comes from Mani Ratnam's films.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You're right. That should have said music export, not film export. I've edited the post accordingly. Although Shankar did score movies too, of course, most prominently the Apu trilogy by Satyjajit Ray.

Yep his main title for Pather Panchali is one of the great main titles of cinema.

(0:00 - 1:55 in this video)

On 5/3/2019 at 10:45 PM, Bayesian said:

I don’t know any of his work, unfortunately. Which 5 scores of his would you recommend to a neophyte to get acquainted?

I forgot to recommend after my drunken stupor this Friday.

I's tricky to pick just five -- especially because I have to include both Bollywood and western titles in that, and they should cover a range of styles -- but I would recommend these, at the very least:

* ROJA / BOMBAY / DIL SE -- three different soundtracks, so a bit of a cheat, but it's generally considered a trilogy, and they're all great

* WARRIORS OF HEAVEN AND EARTH

* MUHAMMAD - THE MESSENGER OF GOD

* LAGAAN

* VICEROY'S HOUSE 

But also check out BEYOND THE CLOUDS, which I reviewed in the link in the first post (music clips at the end), and if you want to hear Rahman in a big, symphonic sci fi mode, look no further than ENTHIRAN -- which FINALLY got a score-only release recently, but I believe it's only available in digital format. It's on Spotify.

No problem.

I can just as well get all my recommendations out of the way while I'm at it (rather than just 5).

Beyond the ones I mentioned in the post above (which are kinda must-haves, IMO), I also heartily recommend these from his vast back catalogue:

Indian cinema:

PAVITHRA (1993)

THIRUDA THIRUDA (1993)

FIRE (1996) -- uses the BOMBAY theme extensively; also a kinda crossover film rather than "pure" Indian cinema

MR. ROMEO (1996)

DOLI SAJA KE RAKHNA (1998)

JEANS (1998)

TAAL (1999)

MEENAXI: A TALE OF 3 CITIES (2004)

BOSE: THE FORGOTTEN HERO (2005)

RANG DE BASANTI (2006)

JODHAA AKHBAR (2008) -- give us the score-only release already!

Be aware that there are often different soundtrack versions here; Hindi or Tamil, for example. Sometimes, they're more or less the same (just with different languages in the lyrics), other times they differ also in tracks and selections.

Western cinema:

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (2008)

COUPLES RETREAT (2009)

PEOPLE LIKE US (2012)

ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE (2007) -- with Craig Armstrong

Non-film music:

CONNECTIONS (2008)

The score release of Enthiran was truly a dream come true for me. I had nearly given up hope after all the false promises made in regards to his Indian score releases here. The label had mentioned working on the score album back in 2010. I'm just glad it happened at last.

There are so many hidden gems in his repertoire that it's difficult to even start mentioning them. I wish someday a film music label tries looking into releasing them.

Mangal Pandey: The Rising (DVD rip)- 

An orchestral suite of his (mostly unreleased) scores played recently during the audio launch of theEnthiran sequel "2.0" -

One of my favourite non-film works, the Lord of the Rings musical - 

"The Flying Lotus" symphonic suite -

Also good selection, Demonstar! Since you're from the region, do you know if a score-only release of JODHAA AKHBAR was ever discussed or planned?

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Also good selection, Demonstar! Do you know if a score-only release of JODHAA AKHBAR was ever discussed or planned?

Unfortunately no. :( I really like the love theme and the elephant fight music from that score, and all the Arabic styled cues.

We were promised score releases of scores like Mangal Pandey, Maryan, Sivaji: The Boss and Mr. Rahman himself mentioned working on score albums of Kochadaiyaan and 2.0, but they never happened.

Well, if we have to wait as long for a score release of 2.0 as we did for ENTHIRAN, we'll have to be patient.

• 2 months later...

Stumbled on this beautiful piece from Rahman today.

I can't follow the words at all but it has some beautiful melodies. The opening male chorus is great followed by the solo female voice. 

I found a piano transcription of the 3 beautiful melodies in this piece.

• 3 years later...

A.R. Rahman's score to the 2014 epic film Kochadaiiyaan has finally received an official release today. It is a rich, thematic orchestral/choral score and really a dream come true for me. I had been waiting for this since 9 years. Highly recommended for everyone. :)

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the heads-up, DemonStar! And nice to see you around; don't see you much at the boards anymore.

I actually visit here almost everyday but only post occasionally. 😊 

Looking forward to your views on the score!

This Rahman score is a massive orchestral and choral work that everyone ought to listen to (the film has some 'ideological challenges') but Rahman's work here equals anyone in Hollywood in terms of score or melodic finesse:

DemonStar, do you know what the first Rahman soundtrack album was to include a great deal of score music (or BGM, BackGround Music, as you call it over there)? I'm obviously not counting cases where it's a single track a la "Bombay Theme" or unofficial BGM bootlegs and the like, like the one I have for LAGAAN. I'm thinking it might be WARRIORS OF HEAVEN AND EARTH (2003), but perhaps you know of an earlier example? I'm unsure if I want to count FIRE (1996), since it reuses material.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

DemonStar, do you know what the first Rahman soundtrack album was to include a great deal of score music (or BGM, BackGround Music, as you call it over there)? I'm obviously not counting cases where it's a single track a la "Bombay Theme" or unofficial BGM bootlegs and the like, like the one I have for LAGAAN. I'm thinking it might be WARRIORS OF HEAVEN AND EARTH (2003), but perhaps you know of an earlier example? I'm unsure if I want to count FIRE (1996), since it reuses material.

It has to be Warriors of Heaven and Earth, I guess. All of his older film soundtracks I can think of had only one or two score tracks on them at the most. His first Indian soundtrack to feature a significant amount of score (around 30 minutes) has to be Bose: The Forgotten Hero (2005).

(And personally I hate it when they refer to film scores as "background music" here!)

• 5 months later...

The first album for A.R. Rahman's score for Mani Ratnam's epic film duology Ponniyin Selvan (PS 1 and 2) has been released today.

I haven't seen the films yet, but really liked what's been released so far. Just listen to that opening orchestral action cue. 😎

• 4 months later...

The full score album for Ponniyin Selvan has been released.

It is an excellent blend of orchestral/choral material with classical Indian music. Looking forward to @Thor's opinion on the album. 😊

Thanks, Demonstar, will take a listen at first opportunity. Recently, I had a walkthrough of his scores after the brilliant BEYOND THE CLOUDS in 2018, which is where I last "left off", and didn't find that much that ignited me since then, I must admit. But I'm going to give it a go!

• 3 months later...

An EP containing score tracks from the critically acclaimed film Aadujeevitham: The Goat Life has been released today. It's just 15 minutes long but the music is really exquisite.

I really like this track in particular: