Joel Goldsmith

thestat

It's a shame that Joel never truly broke out from his esteemed father's shadow (but who on earth could have!). But he's been such an astonishing composer over the years.

I especially like Moon 44 (I do love Arnold but if Emmerich had stuck with Joel, who knows):

Yes, the off meter rhythms are very Goldsmith Sr. but there's so much here that one hears in later Joel scores that is idiosyncratically him.

But another son to father homage first:

Joel Goldsmith ranged from 'perfectly adequate' to 'pretty darn good' in his far-too-short life.

I still think his best work is STARGATE: UNIVERSE (especially those epic Vangelis chords), and it's an outrage that the score has not been released.

He used to have a really rad website about a decade ago called FreeClyde, which has now since become defunct.  I purchased his Stargate direct-to-video scores through his site and even received an autographed copy of Stargate: Continuum. He even featured some really cool Flash games that were pretty addictive.

• 5 weeks later...

Yavar, yes, used to love that theme. It's sad that FreeClyde seems to have disappeared. But I think Thaxton, a nemesis to many, now a friend after years, is working hard on Joel's stuff. The episodic stuff on Stargate need to be released.

He was a very kind man.  I met him and Goldsmith's widow at the rehearsal to a Goldsmith celebration concert.  Joel was very friendly and didn't detect a hint of the cantankerous nature of his famous father.  It was clear he had health issues but he was very pleasant and joyful.  I think he co-wrote a Star Trek or two with his father as well. 

4 minutes ago, karelm said:

He was a very kind man.  I met him and Goldsmith's widow at the rehearsal to a Goldsmith celebration concert.  Joel was very friendly and didn't detect a hint of the cantankerous nature of his famous father.  It was clear he had health issues but he was very pleasant and joyful.  I think he co-wrote a Star Trek or two with his father as well. 

I've read interviews with him and he seemed like he was full of enthusiasm and had a really positive outlook. I remember reading an interview with him where he was suddenly overcome with joy at the music of Basil Poledouris.