VOTE! Galaxy's Edge by John Williams - how do you like it?

Jay

How do you rate GALAXY'S EDGE by John Williams?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate GALAXY'S EDGE by John Williams?

• 5⭐
    • 4⭐
    • 3⭐
    • 2⭐
    • 1⭐
    • I refuse to listen to this piece of music, but wanted to vote anyway

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

2:16-2:40 feels like a new, unique Star Wars movie in terms of specific harmonies. Something tells me this is going to be the TROS sound

Quoted for future reference! 

Seriously though I just listened while following you analysis. I enjoyed the experience, thank you for that! 

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Quoted for future reference! 

Seriously though I just listened while following you analysis. I enjoyed the experience, thank you for that! 

The pleasure is mine. 

Just to interject some over the topness: I think in 20 years time, this piece will be considered by most John Williams fans as one of his top 20 pieces (SW or otherwise).  The main melodies (particularly the adventure melody), while not his best ever, are very strong.  The structure, orchestrations, complexity, and just pure JW goodness combine for a brilliant, vibrant, and engaging five-minute acoustical odyssey.   

I think the hype with some may be a little much (his top 20 best pieces?) but it's certainly a great piece. Maybe for you it's your top 20 favorite, feel free to claim it. I'm not meaning anything negative by this post. Williams says his favorite soundtracks are Close Encounters and some others, and by this I mean, I don't know if he would consider the level of Galaxy's Edge as a 'top creation'. People may benefit from appreciating more subtleties and craftiness in music, and in the end, taste is wholly subjective and not bound to public opinion, it's up to you. Even I don't agree with Williams, my favorite composer. My personal rating system is more based on my subjective tiers of all his works.

Williams is my favorite musician of all time because he has countless astonishing soundtracks in his oeuvre which range in idea. I don't think this type of composition, to me, will sufficiently supersede his already achieved genius, but I'd never say (like the OP example) GE is objectively bad in any regard. To make a simple, quick association, in some sense, this piece is mainstream in style and effect (or, as some would falsely attribute "epic"). Some of my least favorite Williams pieces are very mainstream in effect ie. Battle of the Heroes, Imperial March, many themes from the new SWs. So, it's definitely something that rightfully belongs in a movie.

I never said his top piece.  I said in the top 20.  So, for instance, the recent Dudamel collection featured his greatest hits in terms of typical fans.  What I am saying is that down the road, I think Galaxy's edge will be on such albums.  Heck, I think it would be middle-tier piece on that album right now. 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

I never said his top piece.  I said in the top 20.

I could read what you said (I had my eyeballs in.) If you mean it will be in the Top 20 most popular, that could very well be a different argument. Many of the most brilliant pieces by Williams are not popular. Galaxy's Edge on the other hand is written in a popular style people might recognize more, suited for those gimicky albums or whatnot.

Anyway, this subtopic is too boring. I'll let someone else take the last one.