Sony reissues Bernstein's Ghostbusters score

Very interesting....

So Sony cans 3rd party licencing and then starts releasing stuff that would have previously been in the ambit of the boutique labels.

I wonder if this is remastered, Erick "Brickwall" Labson did the Varese one.

Amazon France added that this new release will include previously unreleased music, new artwork, and liner notes by Peter Bernstein

More info here: https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=5&threadID=135315&archive=0

The album is now also available to order on Amazon.com. According to Amazon the album includes four previously unreleased tracks. Amazon.ca now also lists a vinyl release.

Amazon briefly updated the artwork for the CD release:

ghostbusters-1984-original-score.jpg

9 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I’m curious to see how it has 4 unreleased tracks yet runs shorter than the Varèse version.

It doesn't. They don't count or don't even realize the Varese Deluxe Edition exists.

There's at least two cues from the film that I know off the top of my head that are not on the Varèse release: there's a short cue for them exiting the elevator at the Sedgwick hotel and a short march for them preparing to face off with Gozer during the film's climax. I believe there was also a short cue on one of the bootlegs that supposedly accompanied Mr. Stay Puft's hat falling down to the street after he has been obliterated. This moment is not in the final film.

So it is possible some previously unreleased music has been dug up, but knowing Sony, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Tracklist with running time (found them on iTunes):

01. Ghostbusters Theme 3:01
02. Library 2:22
03. Venkman 0:33
04. Hello 1:36
05. The Best One in Your Row 1:07
06. Get Her! 2:03
07. Plan 1:26
08. Dana's Theme 3:31
09. Fridge and Sign 1:57
10. Attack 1:32
11. Client 0:35
12. Dana's Apartment 1:40
13. Same Problem 1:08
14. We Got One 2:03
15. Zuul Part 1 0:46
16. Meeting 1 0:39
17. I Respect You 0:57
18. Who Brought the Dog 0:59
19. Zuul Part 2 4:13
20. Steel Drum 1:29
21. Cross Rip 2:16
22. News 1:44
23. Judgment Day 1:19
24. Mistake 0:39
25. Halls 2:30
26. Ballroom 1:03
27. Trap 0:54
28. Meeting 2 1:14
29. Earthquake 0:34
30. Stairwell 1:21
31. Gozer 2:51
32. Let's Go 1:15
33. We're Going to Save the World 1:27
34. Mr. Stay Puft 0:34
35. Final Battle 1:33
36. Finish 2:15
37. Zuul (Album Version) 3:14

You can also listen to a sample of the track "Cross Rip" which was called "Ghosts!" on the Varèse Sarabande album! The sample is also available on Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWL23FZ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07RWL23FZ&linkCode=as2&tag=ghostbuste0ad-20&linkId=8e3c20fd09efa83d3df8fdf647c698c0

36 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

So they left the end credits off?

Yes, and also "Title" and "We Got One! (Alternate)". The new album is about 61 minutes long while the Varèse Sarabande album is 67 minutes long (not counting the track "Magic" which was not from Ghostbusters). There are also 4 previously unreleased tracks which means there's is more music missing than the 3 tracks I can figure out at this moment.

Anything truly significant missing? Because this score is a great hole in my collection, this seems a great opportunity to get it

End credits.

😉

But if you missed the Varèse, this will have to suffice for those who never had this score.  

On 5/17/2019 at 6:04 PM, FrankV said:

You can also listen to a sample of the track "Cross Rip" which was called "Ghosts!" on the Varèse Sarabande album! 

The Varèse album has a track called Cross Rip as well.

9 hours ago, El Jefe said:

The Varèse album has a track called Cross Rip as well.

Yes, but it's not the same music. "Cross Rip" on the Sony album is "Ghosts!" on the Varèse Sarabande album.

So its looking like those who want to upgrade for “improved sound” need to hang on to their Varèse. 

Oh, I just googled this. I had to since I couldn’t recall from memory (from the movie), nor do I own the 2006 Varèse edition.

I thought that End Credits was some kind of suite, but it’s a cut-and-paste job of the pop songs intermingled with Elmer’s score. 😂

No one can surely miss its exclusion here.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Oh, I just googled this. I had to since I couldn’t recall from memory (from the movie), nor do I own the 2006 Varèse edition.

I thought that End Credits was some kind of suite, but it’s a cut-and-paste job of the pop songs intermingled with Elmer’s score. 😂

No one can surely miss its exclusion here.

No the End Credits in question (as it appeared on the Varèse) is an orchestral suite only, It could be a cut paste job of the score. It does reprise the themes. But it does feature an extended version of that funky music played while Winston and Ray are driving across the bridge earlier in the film. 

Correct. And the extended piece I was referring to in my previous post was similar to the cue “Judgement Day”

I wonder if some of the “missing” music could be culled from other pieces and edited into the score. 

We wont know until we hear the new version.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

"Original Motion Picture Score Produced by Elmer Bernstein"?

Yavar

It may have been his original program idea or a carry over from the Varèse?

On 5/16/2019 at 4:18 AM, FrankV said:

The album is now also available to order on Amazon.com.

12 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Yes, now it's available for pre-order on Amazon's U.S. website

Hmm

39 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

It may have been his original program idea or a carry over from the Varèse?

It's a different program than the Varese album...but my point was that it's weird to prioritize his producing credit on the back cover like that, and have no mention of "composed by".

Yavar

Well, I guess that blurb on Amazon about the new edition featuring "4 previously unreleased tracks" makes sense now;  There are indeed 4 tracks that were not on the Varese edition at all:

20. Steel Drum 1:29
24. Mistake 0:39

30. Stairwell 1:21

34. Mr. Stay Puft 0:34

There was a track called "Stairwell" on the Varese, but it was an alternate, while this seems to finally be the film version.

"Mr. Stay Puft" is a short cue that was on the boot, but not on the Varese.

"Steel Drum" is source music, but I cannot remember off the top of my head which scene it plays in.  Anybody remember?

I don't know what "Mistake" is.

It's not that straightforward though, as there's another track, "Halls" that contains the Varese track "Halls" PLUS some other cue, not sure what it is though.

And then on the flip side, there are 4 tracks on the Varese not here at all:

04 Walk (0:30)

08 Taken (1:08)

26 The Protection Grid (0:42)

36 End Credits (5:04)

As as mentioned, the 2 alternates the Sony doesn't have:

31 Stairwell (1:14)
39 We Got One! (Alternate) (2:04)

But also, the short "Title" cue is inside the Varese track "Library and Title", while the Sony track "Library" features the library cue only and the "Title" cue isn't on the CD at all.

And that's as far as I've gotten

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PAHHY_4JXo1xDY2EyGZVlymhPRFXSYsy0xBTxSYS84U/edit?usp=sharing

I'll try to add a tab that incorporates the bootleg(s) if I can

1 hour ago, Jay said:

"Steel Drum" is source music, but I cannot remember off the top of my head which scene it plays in.  Anybody remember?

Yes, it's from the scene where the Keymaster is searching for the Gatekeeper in Central Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZfdFoQg13U