Best cover designs for classical music albums

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Geez, this derailed quickly!

You should know by now that leading a normal conversation on JWFAN is impossible.

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I know. Couldn't find out how to change the title on my phone.

Click "Edit" on the main post.

For my money, the best classical CD artwork was produced by Sony Classical between the late ‘90s and mid ‘00s (coinciding with the period when they stopped applying their logo on the front in the top right corner). I don’t have examples at the ready but I’ll try to dig up some favorite examples soon. You’ll see.. and agree. 

This isn't really a great design, but for nearly 10 years I've wanted to know what town this compilation cover image is a picture of.  It's a very evocative American image.  It's obviously New England, but where???

Anyway, it's a really good album.  Three great 20th century American composers.

unnamed.png

4 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Detective PikaStu.

Fixed!

9 hours ago, Richard said:

JS, your title says "classic music albums". Perhaps it should read "classical music albums"?

Fixed!

9 hours ago, Thor said:

You should know by now that leading a normal conversation on JWFAN is impossible.

Of course, but the time it takes to derail seems to decrease all the time. :D

8 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Do it, before I spam this place with Bangles covers!:yes:

Related image

Done!

Why does she mostly look grumpy on her covers?

Not being allowed to post covers with fine art on it, seriously limits the selection, as that is what a great deal of classical albums have. But collages of fine art seem to be allowed, as in the Naxos/Wagner set mentioned earlier. Could you specify, JP?

I was just thinking that covers that basically reproduce a painting without adding anything aren't that interesting to post. But by all means post what you like - I don't want stupid limitations to exclude great covers!

OK, cool.

Wish I had access to my dad's huge classical collection (LPs and CDs). Some real gems in there. But I can always find a few in my own.

Didn't you inherit your father's LP collection, or did that exclude the classial ones?

I got a small selection (perhaps 70-100 out of his several thousand), including classical, rock, even a couple of soundtracks. Perhaps you're thinking of the cassette collection, where I got them all back in the day.

Here's a selection of some classical albums by composers known for their film work that I really like.

My favourite JW classical album (love the 'monochrome' mystery of it all):

2d951e762719b1ea1cd35884cec2f79b4f39d17d

I really like this:

8f54684c60c2cd4ef44b5b7e05e8ed1c866a85be

And this:

9dd4fbc2cfd2d3cd4a7293ff77138325a65255f4

I also love the natural serenity of this (although, again, using fine art):

81fU4OvWk+L._SX355_.jpg

Or the naive simplicity of this:

34d00fc032a496dabd5c0769a6f5230d.jpg

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I got a small selection (perhaps 70-100 out of his several thousand), including classical, rock, even a couple of soundtracks. Perhaps you're thinking of the cassette collection, where I got them all back in the day.

Here's a selection of some classical albums by composers known for their film work that I really like.

My favourite JW classical album (love the 'monochrome' mystery of it all):

2d951e762719b1ea1cd35884cec2f79b4f39d17d

I really like this:

8f54684c60c2cd4ef44b5b7e05e8ed1c866a85be

And this:

9dd4fbc2cfd2d3cd4a7293ff77138325a65255f4

I also love the natural serenity of this (although, again, using fine art):

81fU4OvWk+L._SX355_.jpg

Or the naive simplicity of this:

34d00fc032a496dabd5c0769a6f5230d.jpg

JW's really got a thing for trees. :) That's the best Max Richter album I've heard so far. How's the Hyperion album?

It's fine. I've always been a sucker for woodwinds. I might prefer the Lutoslawksi over the Blake, however (even if I got the album for the Blake). Somehow more accessible.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why does she mostly look grumpy on her covers?

Looks like a 19th Century kind of mystery a la Jane Eyre to me.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

But clearly molded after the success of 2001.

And why not - after all, they did use an earlier Karajan recording in the film. ;)

Yey, several of Karajan's Strauss albums have striking covers.

514dzYIdiIL._SX355_.jpg

28943903929.jpg

I bought the latter mainly for the cover - never been much of a fan of Ein Heldenleben, and Karajan's earlier Tod und Verklärung is the superiour recording.

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And why not - after all, they did use an earlier Karajan recording in the film. ;)

Actually two earlier Karajan recordings. :)

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

514dzYIdiIL._SX355_.jpg

28943903929.jpg

I bought the latter mainly for the cover - never been much of a fan of Ein Heldenleben, and Karajan's earlier Tod und Verklärung is the superiour recording.

I had both those releases, but sold the Alpensinfonie because the work has never clicked with me.

Actually two earlier Karajan recordings. :)

I was referring specifically to Zarathustra.

I had both those releases, but sold the Alpensinfonie because the work has never clicked with me.

Leave now and never come back.

Or you could give examples of what's so great about it. The wind machines? :)

The mood of the night music, the ascension theme, the offstage horns, the narrative arc in general, the thunderstorm with rain droplet pizzicato, thunder sheet and distant thunder timpani, the drama of the descent...

The Karajan recording was my first, though I favour the Kempe nowadays. But Karajan is probably still the 2nd best for me. A pity he never recorded it during the 70s, when he made his best Strauss records (also sonically).

The Alpine Symphony is like the only Strauss work I really like or listen to much.

I'm not saying his other widely regarded works are bad, just saying the Alpine Symphony is the only one that really clicks with me on a personal level.

Of the orchestral works, Tod und Verklärung is my favourite, before Alpensinfonie and Zarathustra (so much more to that than just the famous fanfare). But Ariadne auf Naxos tops all, and Der Rosenkavalier isn't far behind. And there's Salome and Elektra, too. And the Vier letzte Lieder.

Let's face it, classical music simply isn't the best (if not the worst) music 'genre' for album cover design. Most of them are either studio photos from artists or reproductions of classical /contemporary art.